Ships Nostalgia banner

R658336 ( John White )

3K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  gilieman 
#1 ·
I am looking forward to browsing this site. As you can see from my discharge book number R658336 I go back a few years. Started at the Vindy, I expect there are plenty of you out there.Union Castle, Royal Mail, just to mention two of the 30 companies I worked for.Finished my last 7 plus years with Buries Markes.On all their chemical tankers, as Bosun. Brilliant company to work for.Perhap there are a couple of guys out there may know me.I started in 1956 finished in 1982.

#6 ·
Welcome

John,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)*

#7 ·
Thank you all for your warm welcome to the SN site I am sure I will spend many hours aboard.The time is 07.13 UK time. Yesterday I looked into the live ships at sea.I found that amazing,thank you.Question= Are the bridge bells still rung to announce the time.If so is seven bells still rung at 0720 and 1120.If I remember correctly seven bells in the afternoon watch was 1530. I do know the reason for the odd times for 0720 and 1120. Perhaps as a tiny quiz you could ask the Members if they know. All ex deckies should get this right. John R658336.

#23 · (Edited)
Union Castle

Hi there just as a matter of interest which ships did you sail on when you were with Union Castle? and what year was it?
look forward to hear from you,
Thanks
Don
Hi Don, I trust you are well.I was d/boy on the "Durban Castle",when she was the last Passenger ship to go through Suez in 1956.I did 4 trips on her 2 as d/boy and 2 as jos.1956 was the Nasser conflict.As you may well remember.Now things get a bit dim. In the early 80s my then wife put my discharge books in the cellar. Yes you have guessed they got ruined with the dampness.So now I have to rely on my memory. Do you remember the Gold Bullion theft aboard the "Capetown Castle! about 58/59. I served on her as AB the following trip.( am told the bullion was hidden in the sand locker, it was all recovered by the police ) I was AB aboard the " Tantallon Castle " which was one of the two Black hulled castle boats.that would be about 59/60. The " Athlone Castle "would have been about 60/61.That Don was my time with UCSS Co,LTD.Was did you do at sea and when.I was to spend many more years with a variety of companies Oh! to be young again. John. PS. The only company I can say I was with ,with certainty was Buries Markes. I was Bosun on two of their bulkers ..and their entire chemical tanker fleet from 1975/82

#22 ·
Good morning, this is my first attempt in my reseach into my fathers sailing career. Master Mariner William Maurice Dunn.
8 years under sail, 1906-1914, obtained masters ticket.
36 years with Alfred Holt "Blue Funnel Line";13 Years at sea,1914-1927, obtained masters ticket. 23 years as Supertendant of the Mercantile Warf Brisbane, 1927-1950.
His first sailing ship at age 16 was the Dunstaffnage; He was also on the Mount Stewart.
Born in 1890, retired 1950, died 1974.
This sums up the extent of my proven knowledge, and i don`t realy know where to go from here. can anyone help?
Bill Dunn.

#25 ·
Hi again Don,
I too have sat for hours writing a mail,then for what seems no reason it disappears. Life I guess. You mention you Island home,where might that be? You also mention the strike of 66. I was shore side during that one. As a matter of fact,there have been very few seamen strikes ever, official that is.I was in one of them. That would have been about 1960. I to was home ,in fact in Cornwall on holiday.As I could not go back to sea I stayed in Cornwall for an extra 4 weeks.I was on holiday with a shipmate, as we were camping and had a girlfriend each it did,nt cost us anything to stay the extra time.As I remember it we did,nt gain by the strike.
Football was also a passion of mine,I was always in the team if the ship had one.I was a goalkeeper.A position very few wanted.There used to be a famous football player named John White ( same as mine ) he played on the left wing for Tottenham. That was when it was 5 forwards, 3 midfield, 2 backs and a goalie. Those were the days.
I was hoping to go out today, its raining, no fun in a wheelchair. So I will find a site to keep me happy. Take care Don.
John.

#27 ·
Hi Don, I,m back aboard.Hope you and yours are in fine fettle. I actually feel fine, its the body that is falling apart. My Dad told me ,hard work never hurt anybody.I wished I had,nt listened. Hard heavy work in my youth ( at sea ) and before elf-n-safty is taking its toll.6 months without a hip now, hope it will be going back in soon.I still manage to smile, there are those out there far worse than I. John

#29 ·
Hi John
Sorry to hear about your hip, hope all goes well for you soon, my wife had both done three years ago and never looked back, now I cant keep up with her,
Main thing John try and keep looking on the bright side there`s always someone worse.
A dream cruise would soon sort it out for us John, preferably on one of the old ones!
Happy easter to you and yours
Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.