Ships Nostalgia banner

Languishing and unloved Bluie

17K views 116 replies 41 participants last post by  jmcg 
#1 · (Edited)
On Friday last during a site induction I got talking to an former MN engineer who had recently returned after a long contract at Huai Power Station in Hubie Provence in China. He told me that there is a former Blue Funnel or Glen Line vessel (A or D Class) laid up in a cutting on the Yellow River.

She is in PRC livery and although laid up awaiting her final fate for at least 5 years she is still in remarkedly fine fettle. Her after derricks are still flying . He passed her twice a day and night with never a soul sighted nor a light burning. The locals do not talk about her other than agree her longevity at the cutting and that she is haunted by a spirit.

I would venture to advance that with a sum of £K100 (maximum) we could save her and return her to Liverpool or London. Nostagia personified !!!!!

Apart from the more obvious considerations (crewing and insurance) what else would we need to consider. Discuss.

I'm up for it before I get too old.! We would need a Master, Mates & Engineers etc. and perhaps an AB that could cook!

BW

J

J

See less See more
#2 ·
A lovely pipe dream, John!
Sign me up, I'll go as 4th to get the really shotty jobs! Maybe my old fella would be willing! I'd pay my own way but unfortunately couldn't make a meaningful monetary donation. Let's see what transpires...................A little dreaming never hurt anybody!
Regards,
Dave
p.s. Any photos?

#3 · (Edited)
Makko

No photographs I'm afraid. The cutting is inside the PS perimeter and the old protocols re photography remain.

I must say,however, that the two hour induction lasted for 3+ . He could confirm a lot and certainly no bull about it.

He also told me that shipping down river is mostly PRC flagged vessels with coal unloaded at the lower points of the Yellow river for lightering and onward travel to the PS.

Yes, I would love to develop this dream and could offer a not too unsubstantial sum to bring to fruition.

BW
J

#4 ·
When you say £K100, I presume you mean £100,000 as opossed to 100 Hong Kong pounds?

#6 ·
John,
I heard about an old 'A' boat still afloat in some Chinese backwater about ten years ago, I was told it was possibly the Demodocus which had been sold to Chinese interests in 1973 and named Hungsia, then in 1979 became Hong Qi 137, Bureau of Maritime Administration Canton.
Sign me up, I'll go as AB, and maybe get my old cabin!
Best Regards
Pat(Thumb)

#7 ·
Interesting Pat - there may be a connection here. I shall see the chap concerned when I return to site next week and see if i can get any more information from him. The job in Hubie is still going with a few ex pats there.

Thanks for the info.

Two AB's so far. Any more?

BW
J

#8 · (Edited)
I'll go as Mess Peggy (H)

PS
Too old to go clambering about these days, can't cook, don't drink, but would like to go back to one of my first jobs at sea. Can do a trick at the wheel and keep a keen lookout. :eek:

#9 ·
Do you think an approach to the Philip Holt Trust may be in order ? the Trust supports the Blue Funnel Association and the Nestorians so I imagine that they would be sympathetic to the idea. Perhaps the Blue funnel Association maybe able to help.

According to Ships in Focus the Demopdocus was broken up in 1982.

I think the ship may be the Dolius she was sold to the Chinese, became the Hong Qul 119 and later the Zhan Dou 51, was deleted off Lloyds List in 1991. But that does not mean she was scrapped.

Regards

Mike

#12 ·
If they'd allow me a temporary medical cert, I'll go as AB as well.

It would be excellent to see a vessel representing the UK MN and let's face it, the Yanks do this in big style and make it pay. The thought of an active ship being available for UK and near Continetal tours / adventure training / etc etc is exciting.

Jonty

#13 · (Edited)
Not so sure we need ENG 1 if its a project. Very very early stages as yet. I need to get more (as much) info from the chap on site. I would have no plans for future tours or trips- just to bring her back for the next generation and us old timers. The Yanks as you say still have and protect their Jeremiah O'Brian .

I would welcome additional comments from Deck and Engine room depts re engine status , navigational requirements etc. Its 27 years since I packed up and so much has changed in that time.

Thanks for the offer. Will keep you posted.

SM has not volunteered his engine room skills.

BW
J

#15 ·
Sorry Octavius - I do know a little about the China, but only from the deck perspective.

That is why I seek wider counsel on matters I know nothing of. Shipping law was not one of the mandatory units I had to study.
Thanks for your contribution.

BW

J

#23 ·
John

My Dad once said to me that Ship Owners had no sentiment or soul, when a ship had done its time, send it to the breakers, obviously our ship manager, Octavious is of the sme ilk.

There's no harm in dreaming, but I fear there a lot of obstacles to overcome if you are to suceed in your quest, I hope it will happen and if I can come up with any ideas I'll let you know.

Regards

Mike

#38 · (Edited)
The search was abandoned in mid-2006 because I finally convinced those behind it that I had been telling the truth when I told them the ship had been scrapped in 1996. After all, I just work for the company that owned her for most of her life so what would I know?

For ten years they refused to believe me because someone claimed to have seen her in Hong Kong and someone else had a photo of her alongside in Singapore. I was able to show them that the photograph dated from the mid-80's as the godown she was alongside has long been the site of a container terminal and she was carrying the old funnel mark.

Yes, I do feel rather sore at having involved colleagues in the search for the ship, and then not being believed.

I would love to believe this story, too, but I am afraid that it has all the makings of a "yarn" .

Starting from the top, I'm certainly not aware of any restrictions on photography of merchant ships in China - try and snap the PLA Navy's latest and that might be another matter!

Can we at least identify where this ship is meant to be? Which port is she meant to be lying in? Are we talking about Hubei or Hebei? The Yellow River does not flow through either of them, and it is scarcely navigable anyway. The Yangtse does flow through Hubei and is navigable.

#27 ·
As the others say, there is nothing wrong with having a dream. If you managed to get substantial finance and your dream progresses then you would bring her to UK as a private boat, not a registered ship, and you would not have to worry about all the myriad of regulations.

Anyway if things go well you can put me down for any deck position from galley boy to master.

#30 ·
The ideal berth for it would be in Birkenhead, at Cathcart St, the berth where she would have loaded many times during her career as a Bluey.
If Peel Holdings could be persuaded to include it in their 'Wirral Waters' plans. It would make a wonderful attraction.
Pat

#39 ·
unloved Bluie

Yes I agree Pat, Birkenhead Cathcart Street would be a more suitable location, even though it says LIVERPOOL on the stern. It was always the Birkenhead side we sailed from when heading out East. I had drive around that area a couple of years ago and nearly got lost. It's difficult to recognise the places after so long. I last sailed out from Cathcart Street in April 1966 on Menelaus and brought her back in there in August '66 after a deep sea and the coasting.
Happy days
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.