Ships Nostalgia banner

Grey Rover on the Move?

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  rigger mortice 
#1 ·
Grey Rover was moved out of No 3 Basin (Portsmouth) this morning, anyone know anything more? There's a fairly large tug newly arrived moored in the harbour, is there a connection. Nothing happening in tomorrows shipping movements though......

#2 ·
Stevo,
I'm led to believe the MOD are short of a couple of tankers due to the delay of the MARS project, so you never know...
However she's knocking on 40 years old, so the scrapyard would probably be more likely, especially if she still carries Asbestos.

#6 ·
Fort Austin

Interesting to hear that about Fort Austin, Molls-Phot.She has been moored up at coaling pier(Portland) for 2 weeks,possibly in destore then?
She still here over the weekend,if anyone wants to grab some final photos!
Interestingly,but puzzling then is her sister Fort Rosalie who is also in our waters.Is she not the elder of the 2 vessels but remaining with us?
Peter

#11 ·
Interesting to hear that about Fort Austin, Molls-Phot.She has been moored up at coaling pier(Portland) for 2 weeks,possibly in destore then?
She still here over the weekend,if anyone wants to grab some final photos!
Interestingly,but puzzling then is her sister Fort Rosalie who is also in our waters.Is she not the elder of the 2 vessels but remaining with us?
Peter
Fort Austin's "lay up" may not be permanent. She is replacing Fort Victoria which will shortly return to service following a period in "extended readiness".

#7 ·
The tug Svitzer Mercia is not the tug I was referring to. I watched Svitzer tow the Cottesmore out on Thurs, whilst a larger red, white blue tug was moored in the upper reaches of the harbour. Combined with the cold move of Grey Rover I just put two and two together!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.