Ships Nostalgia banner

Looking for Houlder Bros. shipmates of old

6K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  merlinhaven 
#1 ·
can anyone help me i'm trying to find old shipmates of mine i sailed with houlder bro's in the 70's early 80's. my name is Alan Ruscoe not KEN.thanks.

#2 ·
Moved thread

Alan,

I've taken the liberty of adding a reference to Houlder Bros in your title.
I have also moved your thread into the "Looking for Old Shipmates" forum since it will attract more attention.
Good luck with your search! (Thumb)

#3 ·
Hello Alan you old ratbag.
What a blast from the past. Do you remember the "Humboldt"? How are you and your Mum and Ken? I wonder if you will figure out who I am? I will hunt out a photo of you and send it if your e-mail address if it is available. What are you up to these days.
Regards (Thumb)

#5 ·
Alan
A warm welcome to you and it is good to see you already have an inspiring and pleasant welcome from Marinero – Having also served on the truly excellent ship Humboldt in the early 70’s I should remember you … but I need more time.. In the meantime a warm welcome to you and enjoy the Site and all it has to offer..
(Thumb)Mark

#10 ·
Alan T

This is a bit confusing for me, Alan but I,m sure I,ve sailed/worked with both you and Ken. It was probably offshore as I moved to the Oregis in 1975 and finished on the Bay Driller in 1986. I was Chief Cook then Chief Steward/Camp Boss. Hope lifes treating you well and enjoy the site, its amazing what you find out.
Alan.

#11 ·
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the e-mail, the Stolt Tudor sounds about right, it was a good ship with many happy memories for me. Not least the escapade with the shellfish. Were you on board when we caught the shark off Savanah? Everyone on board had some except Capt Mulligan who had the strange idea that we would all be poisened by it!!
All the Best Alan.

#15 ·
From out of the woodwork, they cometh.

On another thread site I read of the transfer of the 'Humbolt', (what ever she was.? - lomg after my time, I'm afraid) in Malta.
Apparently her last Master was a Capt. Charlesworth, and I wonder if that would have been Mike' Charlesworth, who originated from Merseyside.?
I sailed with a Mike Charlesworth, he being a 3rd Mate, in the Rippingham Grange, during 1961, on a fruit trip to NZ, and me being 4th Eng, Mike' would have been my 'driver' on the bridge.
Also on that trip, and due to a crew shortage, an old coasting 3rd Eng managed to get himself 'shanghai-ed' for his first deep sea trip for years.
He was known throughout the Company as 'Old Mac' and I think his full name was John Maclaughlin, also from Liverpool. He was about sixty then and if memory serves, he was related to Mike C. Anybody remember him ?

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
On another thread site I read of the transfer of the 'Humbolt', (what ever she was.? - lomg after my time, I'm afraid) in Malta.
Apparently her last Master was a Capt. Charlesworth, and I wonder if that would have been Mike' Charlesworth, who originated from Merseyside.?
I sailed with a Mike Charlesworth, he being a 3rd Mate, in the Rippingham Grange, during 1961, on a fruit trip to NZ, and me being 4th Eng, Mike' would have been my 'driver' on the bridge.
Believe you are right. He was old man for a while.

#19 ·
Now, if I had a spare week I would tell you the story of Capt Charlesworth, the Second Mate, a true motion radar and the Sal log.
But i don't so here's the quick version.

When the Cerinthus had TM Radar fitted the above decided the Sal log needed calibrating. For those that have never had the honour this meant taking a pack of sandwiches down a very dark and noisy place, and spending an hour or two blowing down the tubing and doing calculations and adjusting some micrometer type thingies after some calculations. All this was of course, voluntary, and done in between morning sites. It took months and made no difference.

Then of course, there was the story of that other well loved vessel the Joule and nitrogen and singapore........

ah, the good old days

#21 ·
I was once taught how to adjust a Sal Log, it entailed very careful scraping of the pitot tube orifice, to a special gauge. then the sighting of the face of the pitot tube across the centreline of the hull. After all this was done correctly the total error could never be much more than about a cable a day in still water at sixteen knots. Always provided, of course, that the air had been bled from the whole sytem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.