Ships Nostalgia banner

Soldier Prince

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  sam2182sw 
#1 · (Edited)
The Soldier Prince at sea off Lisbon, Northbound to UK From Med.
Built as Pennine Prince 1971, 1599 tg

Also photo of her laid up in Royal Albert Dock prior to her sale.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
david smith said:
The Soldier Prince at sea off Lisbon, Northbound to UK From Med.
Built as Pennine Prince 1971, 1599 tg
Pleased to see this photo. This vessel made the first voyage to start from rotterdam to felixstowe and further to the med. with containers. Prince line, that time, shipped general cargo only. Unfortunately I forgot the names of he other (general cargo) vessel's.
The soldier prince left rotterdam with 10 conts only, which placed on deck for the outerworld to be seen.
Is there still something to find on the internet concverning the former Prince Line company.
Thanks in advance

Aadje
( Aad Motz - former port agent Hudig & Pieters / Dammers & van der Heide
Rotterdam )

#5 ·
Sailor Prince

The Sailor Prince kicked off the Ellerman Prince container service from UK/ Rotterdam to Mediterranean, I think 1977/78 - Besides Rotterdam the UK port was London using Victoria Deepwater terminal at Greenwich, I think somewhere I have snap of original loading

#4 ·
Good evening David,
Longtime ago. I think we speak abt. end 70ties.
I appologize in advance not remembering some names, however the name I still remember is Captain Land.
Prince Line had beautifull ships. On this site I also found some photographs of he Cottswold Prince and the starter of the containerservice the Soldier Prince. The containerservice later was taken over by Ellerman Lines and the City of Ipswich and City of Felixstowe were added. Lateron the line was intergrated in Necol ( Nedlloyd ) and we lost the agency.
Hudig & Pieters still exists, however not active anymore. It was a part of the rotterdam shipowner Dammers en van der Heide, which being sold in 1989 to Messrs. Seatrade Groningen. Seatrade Groningen is now the number one reefer company with 132 reefervessels incl. charterered/managed and 102 owned ones. After a re-organisation I was offered 7 years paid leave, which I celebrate now 2 years. I'm traveling a lot and when at home most time spending on internet. Most famous forum is the dutch www.groningerkustvaart.nl where also some english, norwegian, australian and new zealand nautics are active.
B.regards
Aad Motz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.