1968 to Monrovia renamed ORIENTAL AMIGA
1970 rebuilt as a containervessel
1974 to CHINA,same name.
1978 scrapped at Kaohsiung
Courtesy/©F.R.Sherlock

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
DINTLEDYK was a 'near sister'. There were a few very subtle differences in the two ships. Almost nothing in it dimension wise. The second ship, built in 1957 was just 1.7 m longer and 171 tonnes more grt.

The mast arrrangement was different in DINTELDYK, she had four masts and just a single set of goal posts against the bridge front.

The funnel on the latter ship was a bit fatter and bolt upright. Most obvious different between the two was their paint schemes, the DINTELDYK was painted with a grey hull instead of black.

The original sistership to DIEMERDYK, to have been named DINTELDYK was laid down in December 1949. During construction HAl decided to change the ship into a passenger ship. She entered service in 1951 as the RYNDAM. A sistership to RYNDAM, the MAASDAM entered service in 1952. She later became Polish Ocean Line's STEFAN BATORY. I was a passenger on her final voyage... just a few days Tilbury to Copenhagen. Great ships!

I made a large painting for HAL of DIEMERDYK and DINTELDYK together at sea. It hangs on board the new NOORDAM. I'm just finishing off another piece for HAL's new EURODAM... the BLIJDENDYK... HAL's only Liberty ship.

Stephen

#6 ·
Ahoy,
Here seen the BLIJDENDYK:

[]
Rudd,

Many thanks for posting that photo. In my painting she doesn't look so well painted! I can never resist adding touches of rust... especially on one of the ships of 'The Spotless Fleet'! An old 40 gallon oil drum lashed over the side for the galley rubbish... with corresponding stain down the side of the ship.

My view is an aerial view.... from about 100 metres. The painting measures about 1.9m x .9m so lots of detail in it. I've been working on it almost two months. A few bits, rigging mostly, to add tomorrow and it is finished. Five more to do, but my deadline is January/February next year.

Stephen

#7 ·
Ahoy Stephen,
Yes their vessels always looked in good condition, but as you mentioned already a painting/drawing looks much more "natural" by given a few touches of rust spots,near the anchors for example, and of course an old oil drum for the galley/engineroom-garbages in those days was also often seen,and emptied as soon harbour was left, wouldn't risk this nowadays, as the supplies for put them ashore are much better regulated.
Any chance to see, some of your "work"?

#8 ·
Hi Ruud,

The joke with HAL is, "Why are HAL known as The Spotless Fleet'?" Because they were too cheap to buy the spots!

Best place to see a good selection of my work is on Willem van der Leek's site, 'Willem's Maritime Pages'.

Also two recent books.......

CUNARDER - Maritime Paintings by Stephen Card

and HOLLAND AMERICA LINE - The Spotless Fleet' Maritime Paintings by SC

Cunard has about 40 paintings done for QM2 and QE2 while the HAL book has the complete collection of works done for them between 1991 and 2006... over 80 pieces puls some addition sketches and soame paintings of HAL ships made for private clients.

Stephen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.