Ships Nostalgia banner

Calabar

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Graham the pipe 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Thanks for replies. Not ex UMTALI. CALABAR was built for ED's with that name. Eventually became Greek SEMIRAMIS & chartered to Curnow Shipping in 1978 to make first UK - St. Helena run as the RMS ST. HELENA was not quite ready at that time. Shortly after, I joined ST. HELENA & remained there for 11 years before transferring to the new ship of the same name in 1990 for my last two years at sea. Last Monday, rendesvoused with many old shipmates from ST. HELENA at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, London to receive awards of sterling silver coins in recognition of our 13 months service in the Falklands 1982 -83. If anyone can give me details of CALABAR's full career so I can prepare eventual article for TELEGRAPH, I will be grateful.
Best wishes to you all
Bob

#5 ·
Calabar.
Steel motorship, one deck. O.N. 164255
249.4' X 41.2' X 16.3' 1097 nett, 1932 gross.
Built Harland & Wolff, Belfast, Yard No. 954 for Elder Dempster Lines Ltd.
Registered Lagos (British flag).
B&W oil engine 2SCSA 5 cyl by the builders. 404 nhp, 13 knots.
Pass accom: 40 first class, 12 third class.

1935 19 March, completed maiden voyage, Capt. J.J. Smith

1939 October, registered Liverpool. Employed on the Takoradi - Lagos - Capetown route after the outbreak of war.

1948 Returned to UK, Capt. C.E. Edge, for refit and survey by builders. 1058 nett, 1964 gross

1953 5 May, returned to Liverpool and placed on 'for sale' list. 27 July,
sold for £42,000 to Epirotiki Steamship Navigation Co. (George
Potamianos, Managers) renamed SEMIRAMIS reg. Piraeus.

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks Eldersuk, that filled in a lot of gaps. I often find myself building ships that I don't know much about. By the time I arrived on the West Coast of Africa in 1962, the CALABAR was long gone. I get the plans from old copies of The Motor Ship, Shipbuilding & Shipping Record, Shipbuilder & Marine Engine Builder, The Shipping World etc. Click on Miniature Merchant Ships (below) to see more.
Bob

#8 ·
Thanks for comments. When I first saw the plan I thought that the bridge deck was missing, it seemed so low, but close inspection showed the wheelhouse at the forward end of the boatdeck. So the model is, as you say, as originally built. I also have a later photograph showing that the bridge has moved up a level & the funnel lengthened. To me, both these modifications improved the looks quite a lot.
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.