Ships Nostalgia banner

Crescent Shipping

88K views 152 replies 89 participants last post by  jonboy27.jb 
#1 ·
does anyone in here know the names of the vessels in the crescent fleet past and presant?
looking to compile a list but its an uphill struggle!

#2 · (Edited)
1956/1958

Cresence
Dominence
Eminence
Faience
Gardience
Halcience
Insistence
Jubilence
Kindrence
Luminence
Militence
Ordinence

All of these, with the exception of the 'Ordinence' which I never 'spotted' in my happy days of youth would have visited Ipswich sometime between 1955 and 1960.

By 1962 you can add in the Nasence, Pertinence and Quiescence.

Peter4447(Thumb)

#4 ·
Hi Nordica,

Crescent Shipping (or London & Rochester Trading Co. Ltd.) owned and operated probably 200+ coasters, barges and motor barges in their time so you have an uphill struggle to say the least. Have you tried searching for any books on the company? The WSS often produced monographs for particular shipping companies which included full, historic fleet lists. I don't know for sure if they ever did one for Crescent, but you could do a bit of Googling, as well as searching eBay and the on-line out of print bookseller, Abebooks. Alternatively, Ian Allan produced regular pocket books during the 50s/60s which included ones on coaster fleets. Marinart took over from where Ian Allan left off in the 1970s. Again, you could try searching the web for some of these books too.

Cheers
Phil

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ahoy,
There is a good site on the web,for used & out of print books,if they can't find one,you should give up trying to search further.
Got this link from an antiquarian,who helped me out sometimes with old bygone books.
AddALL used book and out of print Book Finder

#10 ·
crescent was bought out by clipper wonsild and only two vessels now with a prefix of Crescent all the rest are mainly clipper, crescent did have starch or was it yeast carriers that were operated out of Otterham quay on the Medway, one of the vessels had a fire onboard the vessel which was i think from the machinary onboard and with loss of lives and crescent stopped havig these carriers.
Also do u want to know all the thames sailing barges as well
Richie

#15 · (Edited)
Yes, Crescent was actually bought by Clipper a few years back, but kept the Crescent name and a chartering office in Southampton. In fact, a former colleage of mine was their chartering director. However, with the acquisition of Wonsild, Clipper rebranded their whole tanker operation Clipper Wonsild Tankers and renamed all the ships "Clipper". The office at Southampton has now come under the reins of Crescent Marine Services, which is the U.K. technical management arm of Clipper, but chartering is transferred elsewhere.

As for the starch vessel, that was the "Resilence". I have a photo of her already posted on this site, laid up on the Medway after the fire. You can view it by going to my gallery.

Cheers,
Phil

#12 ·
Hi there
I have a small book called Coastal Ships, By D.Ridley Chesterton, Published by, Ian Allan of London. I obtained the book in 1966 so it will out of date by now. London and Rochester Trading Co Ltd are on pages 52 and 159. In addition to the ones above you can add,
Elation, built 1963, 212 gross tons, 99 ft long and 22 ft wide and engines aft.
Function, built 1963, 210 gross tons, 99 ft long, 22 ft wide and engines aft.
Under two 200tons you have the following.
Action Bastion
Diction
Gillation
Gold
Marie May
Naughton
Nicola Dawn
Pepita
Servic
Silver and many others
They also had Tugs,
Dragette, built 1947 or 50 tons and 300 brake or shaft horse power
Also had small tugs like the Goaxette, Nudgette,Shovette and Snatchette

Regards
Blair
NZ

#149 ·
Hi there
I have a small book called Coastal Ships, By D.Ridley Chesterton, Published by, Ian Allan of London. I obtained the book in 1966 so it will out of date by now. London and Rochester Trading Co Ltd are on pages 52 and 159. In addition to the ones above you can add,
Elation, built 1963, 212 gross tons, 99 ft long and 22 ft wide and engines aft.
Function, built 1963, 210 gross tons, 99 ft long, 22 ft wide and engines aft.
Under two 200tons you have the following.
Action Bastion
Diction
Gillation
Gold
Marie May
Naughton
Nicola Dawn
Pepita
Servic
Silver and many others
They also had Tugs,
Dragette, built 1947 or 50 tons and 300 brake or shaft horse power
Also had small tugs like the Goaxette, Nudgette,Shovette and Snatchette

Regards
Blair
NZ
Work on the Elation 1973. Skipper, John from Rainham Kent, mate B Gregson from Goole. Worked a liner service from Whitstable to Rotherham.

#14 ·
I was on board Halcience in about 1962, catering. Joined her at Holman's dry dock Penzance Cornwall England. She was on deep water articles and went to the continent and to Norway and around Cape North to the back and beyond at the top end of Russia for timber. Came back to Wisbech. As it was about three weeks since the crew had had a run ashore, it was straight to the pub ! At about 0100 hrs in the morning there was a splash as Paddy failed to find the gangway and ended up in the dock ! In the morning a search was made of the ship for another member who was found sitting on the bog asleep with his trousers around his ankles, been there for several hours apparently. Good Fun.
There is a pic of Halcience on the site.

Best wishes
Shippix

#16 ·
These are some of the tugs they had.
Snatchette was with london rochester trading company betwen 1953 and 1983
Enticette was with london rochester trading company betwen 1953 and 1964
Shovette was built by london rochester trading company in 1974 and was with london rochester trading company betwen 1984 and 1998
Dragette was with london rochester trading company betwen 1947 and 1983
Lashette sister ship to Shovette was with london rochester trading company betwen 1971 and 1998
Pullette was with london rochester trading company betwen 1940 and 1958 ?
Shovette (Yardette II ) the first one was with london rochester trading company betwen 1958 and ?
Luggette was with london rochester trading company betwen 1973 and 1987
Do you also want to know what other tugs they also built?
Infomation from riverman.gotdns.com/gallery/

Richie

#148 ·
These are some of the tugs they had.
Snatchette was with london rochester trading company betwen 1953 and 1983
Enticette was with london rochester trading company betwen 1953 and 1964
Shovette was built by london rochester trading company in 1974 and was with london rochester trading company betwen 1984 and 1998
Dragette was with london rochester trading company betwen 1947 and 1983
Lashette sister ship to Shovette was with london rochester trading company betwen 1971 and 1998
Pullette was with london rochester trading company betwen 1940 and 1958 ?
Shovette (Yardette II ) the first one was with london rochester trading company betwen 1958 and ?
Luggette was with london rochester trading company betwen 1973 and 1987
Do you also want to know what other tugs they also built?
Infomation from riverman.gotdns.com/gallery/

Richie
I owned Pullette from 1974 to 1977. She was moored alongside Bucklands Wharf adjacent to Kingston Bridge. She was fully operational after I worked on the Thorneycroft straight six 11 litre diesel engine, I replaced the triplex timing chain, all 12 pushrods and renewed the sand filter. I also repaired the gearbox, an oil operated box serial number 000002 manufactured by Self-Changing Gears in Coventry. I renamed her Euripides. I wonder what became of her.

#17 ·
Hello - I am trying to help someone to find details of the ships
his great grandfather sailed with ...
He lists
Crescent Coasters GARDIENCE (1952 worked) ON182212
and MILITENCE (1957 worked) ON187206
Please can anyone help with details and history?
Best Wishes, Raymond

#153 ·
Hello - I am trying to help someone to find details of the ships his great grandfather sailed with ... He lists Crescent Coasters GARDIENCE (1952 worked) ON182212 and MILITENCE (1957 worked) ON187206 Please can anyone help with details and history? Best Wishes, Raymond
Hi I and buddy sailed on the motor barge "GOLD" she was a son of a ***** to work especially as we were only 15. that was in 1963. that ship could have been built in the 1700 as had only a compass got a more powerful engine in my car. Gross tonnage 220.7. a very manual ship so basic. think its a steel upgrade of the sailing barges which were still being used in 1963. that was a terrible winter as well

#21 ·
I did some work on the three sister tankers of "Crescent Beaune" during their construction at Rousse Shipyard in Bulgaria in the winter of 2006, including changing the names to the Clipper prefix, and the paint specification to the Danish company's livery of lighter blue hull and cream upperworks.

#23 · (Edited)
Hi NORDICA

Did 2 London & Rochester ships 1) the Ordinence 28/11/62 to 21/12/62 only ship I was seasick on 2) Faience 23/12/63 to 17/01/64 nearly got a DR off that one. The Ordinence was 321 gross tonnage L 137' x B 24'+ x D approx 9' so you can see that she was no bigger than a barge. The Faience was bigger, 552 Gross tonnage L 188' x B 27'+ x D 11'+ both my mate and I joined at the London office just before Christmas and they gave us our tickets and even laid on the Company Rolls Royce to take us to Paddington Station, she was in Newport South Wales, I think they thought as it was so near Christmas we might not join the ship hence the Roller I don' know if that helps with what you are doing, but there is a Photo on Brians site of the Faience it also shows both my mate and I on deck we were running down the Thames, we had just unloaded at Erith.

Ron

#24 ·
If you look on the ClipperWonsild website www.clipperwonsild.com you will be able to see the present fleet operated by the sucessor of Crescent Shipping viz Clipper Marine Services in Southampton. It also provides you with the company history etc. and access to Newsletters.
Perhaps if you give them a call in Southampton on + 44 238063 9777 you may be able to find access to historic fleet details. Try asking for Barbara Peacock - she was the MD's PA when they were Thames managed and long before the days of Clipper, but was still their a short while ago.

Here is the present fleet technically managed by Clipper Marine Services (DK in Copenhagen) & (UK in Southampton) but not including SeaTruck, another part of the group.

Epoxy coated tonnage
Built: DWT: Tech. Mgmt:
CLIPPER KARINA Chemical Tanker 2006 11,420 DK
CLIPPER KITTY Chemical Tanker 2007 11,321 DK
CLIPPER KRISTIN Chemical Tanker 2006 11,316 DK
CLIPPER KRYSTAL Chemical Tanker 2006 11,316 DK
CLIPPER KIRA Chemical Tanker 2007 11,298 DK
CLIPPER KAREN Chemical Tanker 2006 11,290 DK
CLIPPER KATE Chemical Tanker 2006 11,259 DK
CLIPPER KLARA Chemical Tanker 2007 11,259 DK
CLIPPER KYLIE Chemical Tanker 2007 11,259 DK
CLIPPER BARDOLINO Chemical Tanker 2007 3,548 UK
CLIPPER BURGUNDY Chemical Tanker 2007 3,543 UK
CLIPPER BARBERA Chemical Tanker 2006 3,520 UK
CLIPPER BAROLO Chemical Tanker 2005 3,520 UK
CRESCENT BEAUNE Chemical Tanker 2005 3,500 UK
CLIPPER BORDEAUX Chemical Tanker 2005 3,491 UK
CLIPPER HIGHLANDER Chemical Tanker 2003 1,860 UK
CRESCENT CAMILLA Chemical Tanker 1998 1,706 UK
BREAKSEA Chemical Tanker 1985 1,674 UK

Marineline coated tonnage
CLIPPER LEADER Chemical Tanker 2004 10,127 DK
CLIPPER LEANDER Chemical Tanker 2006 10,098 DK
CLIPPER LEGEND Chemical Tanker 2004 10,052 DK
CLIPPER LEGACY Chemical Tanker 2004 10,051 DK
CLIPPER LANCER Chemical Tanker 2006 9,970 DK
CLIPPER LOYALTY Chemical Tanker 2007 9,941 DK
CLIPPER CUILLIN Chemical Tanker 2005 3,512 UK

Stainless steel tonnage
CLIPPER TROJAN Chemical Tanker 1996 15,313 DK
CLIPPER TOBAGO Chemical Tanker 1999 8,834 DK
CLIPPER TRINIDAD Chemical Tanker 1998 8,823 DK
CLIPPER HELLE Chemical Tanker 1991 3,294 DK

Zink coated tonnage
ELLA WONSILD Chemical Tanker 1990 3,294 DK
LONE WONSILD Chemical Tanker 1990 3,282 DK
ANNA JOHANNE Chemical Tanker 1994 3,272 DK

With the Clipper money and amalgamation with Wonsild Crescent have certainly changed a lot from their days as Thames barge operators.

Hope this helps a little, Brgds, Chris Allport

#35 · (Edited)
Faversham Ships Ltd is based on the Isle of Wight and is prospering. We also have Torbulk, based in Grimsby. There is also the Rix company and Whitakers (Tankers) Ltd, both based in Hull.

Can I suggest that you start to buy "Coastal Shipping" magazine. This will answer many of your questions. Fleet lists were also published in "Short Sea Shipping" booklets, published between 1995 and 2000. These were much improved versions of the old Ian Allan and Marinart booklets.

#28 ·
This post brings back some old memories for me.

I used to work for Crescent Shipping at Strood, Rochester Kent, back in about 1969?. I was just a 16 yr old costing clerk in the shipyard office, but I knew all the boats names, and numbers, back then. I recall that many ended in "ence", but my memory is failing me now.

Ambience, Blatence, Cadence, Dominence & Eloquence started the alphabet...

Some of the older London & Rochester Trading Company barges are listed at: http://www.thamesbarge.org.uk/barges/Willmott/owners/FWlrtc.html

The Pudge built 1922 by London & Rochester Trading company
http://nationalhistoricships.org.uk/index.cfm/event/getVessel/vref/224

There is a picture of "The Cabby" a 1928 barge, in the livery of Crescent Shipping at http://bargetrust.org/active_barges.html

I am trying to remember the name of the one we launched while I was there, but all I can recall is that the bottle didn't break when it should have done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.