Ships Nostalgia banner

Chandpara

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  John Briggs 
#1 ·
Hi Guys.

Any one out there served on the Chandpara, other than Mike Piercy and myself, 1967/1968. Chief Officer at the time was Cliff Willoughby and Master (phonetically) "Hansaleski" or something similar.

#4 ·
Bit before my time I am afraid but you are more than welcome. I think I grew up on the Chandpara (17ish) and I think Cliff taught me all I knew (forgotten a lot) about navigation and being a deck officer. Seamanship came from the Chindwara and Chandtala! not sure what I learnt on the Chanda other, perhaps, to value others. I have to admit that for all her faults the Chandpara was the happiest ship I served on plus she was built/launched the same year as me.
Since leaving the BI (survived the car crash in Brisbane which cost the life of Pete Pederson who I served with, briefly, on the Bulimba) I have been involved in Management Training. I retire (early retirement scheme) on 28th February. I am a notoriously poor correspondent but hope to have the occasional natter with you.

Best wishes for 2011

Rob (Bob) Crossland

#5 ·
Hi Dave,

Sorry should have checked spelling, went phonetically from memory. I do have the correct version somewhere in my letters home (returned to me by my mother) and of course it is in the "BI News" Staff listings. Chedzelewski is, of course, the correct version. Many thanks for your welcome and I hope to swap memories with you on life in the BI in the future.

Rob (Bob) Crossland

#8 ·
Hi Pres,
Thanks for the photo of the Chandpara. 1st I have found on the WWW! Most seem to be a photo of a "C" class passing as any - just the odd alteration on the photo (Flag disappears etc).
Sailed on the last "Ocean Village" cruise (joint last two) in the Med last October - most of the crew had already switched off. I hope God helped those going on to Singapore. Booked onto a PandO Cruise (Ventura) to the Canaries this coming April - do I dare say I am ex BI?

Regards,

Rob crossland

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.