Ships Nostalgia banner

Dwarka

37K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  Michael G. 
#1 · (Edited)
This old girl, affectionatly known as "Queen of the Gulf" was a terrific ship. Great time with superb people, and of course a 5 cyl Doxford with all steam aux's.

#2 ·
"Queen of the Gulf" : DWARKA

Having been introduced to Ships Nostalgia by George Taylor, I have chosen the Dwarka as my introduction to this Group, having joined her in London, July 1947 where she was loading for her maiden voyage to Bombay. I was "new" too, being a first trip cadet. I was to remain in this ship for just over a year, during which Dwarka "bedded" herself into the run which she maintained for the following 35 years! Although the number of ports on this service was reduced in later years, initially the 3-week round trip from Bombay called at Karachi, Gwadur, Muscat, Bahrain, Kuwait, Abadan, Basra, Kuwait, Bahrain, Muscat, Gwadur and Karachi. When new she carried about 50 cabin passengers and up to about 1500 "deck passengers" (depending on the Monsoon season) as well as mail and general cargo. Dwarka maintained the service with three sisterships, Dumra, Dara and Daressa.

Regards

Tom

#9 ·
Having been introduced to Ships Nostalgia by George Taylor, I have chosen the Dwarka as my introduction to this Group, having joined her in London, July 1947 where she was loading for her maiden voyage to Bombay. I was "new" too, being a first trip cadet. I was to remain in this ship for just over a year, during which Dwarka "bedded" herself into the run which she maintained for the following 35 years! Although the number of ports on this service was reduced in later years, initially the 3-week round trip from Bombay called at Karachi, Gwadur, Muscat, Bahrain, Kuwait, Abadan, Basra, Kuwait, Bahrain, Muscat, Gwadur and Karachi. When new she carried about 50 cabin passengers and up to about 1500 "deck passengers" (depending on the Monsoon season) as well as mail and general cargo. Dwarka maintained the service with three sisterships, Dumra, Dara and Daressa.

Regards

Tom
i would appreciate if you could throw some light on m v daressa

#4 ·
I was a first trip 4th Eng on Dwarka, she had a 5 cly Doxford LBD main engine with all steam auxiliaries, 2 x 30 ton scotch boilers. Stand by of which there were many was like being in a sauna, the poor old condensors could not keep up the pace with all of the steam recips in the ER and on deck. Hot and very hard work but a great crowd of blokes. Happy days!!
Doxfordman.

#5 ·
They were great ships, would like a quid for each time I had been on board one or other of them in various places. They were relatively long lived but I seem to remember that one of them came to grief after a number of years. Possibly a collision or something?, the brain box has let me down and I cant find anything on it to confirm my thoughts.
Doug

#10 ·
Daressa

DARESSA joined the BI fleet from the builder's yard on 27.06.1950. Depite being the newest of the the quartette of what was known as the Fast Gulf "D's" (the Slow Gulf service finished in 1948), she was the first to go, being sold to Marivic Navigation Inc. in August 1964 who renamed her as FAVORITA. She was sold to Singapore owners in 1968, and again renamed KIM HWA and finally sold for scrapping at Hong Kong in JUly 1974

Tom

#13 ·
Cambria49,

I have a DVD of an episode of "The World About Us" called an Arabian voyage which is all about the Dwarka. It was made in 1979 and may be the program you are talking about. It brings back some great memories for me as the ship does not seem to have changed since the 50's.

I would be quite happy to make a copy and send it off to you if you wish. Just let me know.

Regards

John Briggs

#16 ·
Captain Frank Bell

Hugh,

I have asked around in the BI internet "group" without result.

After retiring from the BI (or P&O?) Captain Bell took up a position on the Cutty Sark. What "rank", I am not sure, but he followed BI presence on the ship after "Hadji" Reid and Donald Bardsley.

Perhaps, if you inquired of the Cutty Sark people, they would be able to help

Salaams,

Tom

#18 ·
FAO Tom E Kelso..
Many thanks for the most interesting titbit about the name of the DARESSA (being an ex Dumra & Dwarka engineer, I cannot believe that I didn't know that fact). Best of health to yourself ( having sailed with you on at least 2 occasions - Amra & Meynell possibly) - wonderful memories.

#27 ·
Also for the stewards, Dave. After the night watch, I'd be in bed when 'the iceman cometh'. The steward would come in, silently, to top up the icebox. I'd mutter, 'take only two'. I don't think he ever took more than that(who bothered to check?), but, two beers a day was worthwhile to him, if only for flogging. '
Re 'pinkers' at lunchtime, that's when I went on watch. Mind you, pre dinner, for me, was GT time! Only Jim Eames(security officer), stuck to the pinkers. He was too tight to splash out on a tonic.

BTW, were you there when we had the riot on deck(deportees)?

Regards
Duncan

#28 ·
Enlighten me please gentlemen.l recall vaguely an article Scots Magazine or Sea Breezes ? that the band on the funnel was of burnished steel to protect the bolts holding the upper section and not of black as usually described.

#31 ·
I've been away from the PC for a while Dave, sorry.
The riot must have been after you left. Jim Eames, ex RSM, ex Palastine etc, was security officer(I knew him from the Sirdhana). We took a load of deportees(Syrians, Iraqis, Jordanians etc.) onboard, under armed guard, in Doha(I think), for Basrah. Just outside Kuwait, they went crackers. They had obviously been given booze. They ran about the decks hitting and bottling the deck punters. Much blood and gore! The OM refused to sail from Kuwait, unless they were removed. They were, eventually, taken off and bussed to Iraq.

I thought I had some mementos of that time(photos, etc.), but after a search, I'm afraid all is lost.

Regards
Duncan

#32 ·
The Baluchi's could be a handful (came on at Gwadar) said:
As a P.S>

I can't go along with that Dave. There's no way Dick could handcuff a Baluchi or pathan. Indeed, he wouldn't attempt it. Pathans weren't troublemakers and were left alone on nr.1(they may have ponged a bit). But, by his authoritarianism, he, Dick, could keep good control. It was the poor old stowaways who got handcuffed to the railings.

I'm prepared to stand corrected,

regards,
Duncan

#36 ·
Was "transferred" from Palamcotta to Dara in Bombay then the Chitty Wallah came on board after a few months and I was sent to Karanja thence to Itaura up in Karachi, was actually on two ships Articles in two different countries at the same time, a crafty Marconi move and ended up on Orna and got back to Bonny Scotland a few years later, did NOT get on well with Carron the GTZM
bossman in Bombay, he wanted me to give him my duty free Gin...In Bombay
which was DRY in those days!!!
Ern Barrett

#37 ·
...did NOT get on well with Carron the GTZM
bossman in Bombay,
He was the manager at MIMCo's depot in Newcastle-on-Tyne when I worked for him in 1966 and he was a sh1t. Little man, sour as a lemon and the only mean-minded, nasty Irishman that I ever met. Never met anyone with a good word to say for him.

The fact that his predecessor had a company car and driver at his disposal was a permanent source of annoyance to him.

Seems he was also a hypocrite since he was paranoid that everyone was fiddling their expenses and overtime claims - he was clearly basing that on his own behaviour whilst in India.

#38 ·
BI Club, Bombay

Forgive the Bank Line intrusion, but I fondly recall from the mid 50’s the BI Cub in Bombay as a haven of tranquillity amidst the clamour of the city. Games on the billiard table while the smartly uniformed elderly steward served up the tastiest turned-egg sandwiches ever.

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.