Ships Nostalgia banner

Ex-HL8090 in Gibraltar

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  neillrush 
#1 ·
Operated by Marine Services Gibraltar is the ex-HL8090 now Cyclone. I remember that two others were photographed at Babcock's Southampton a couple of years ago,(8092 and 8093?) does anyone know what happened to them?

Rgds Neill

See less See more
#5 ·
Totally correct, silly me I believed Combat Fleets!!!!
8090 and 91 are at Devonport which one is Starling and which one is Sparrow??? 8092 and 93 were sold by Bacocks, 8094 was sold in 1993 in Gibraltar and initially went to the Sea Cadets (name escapes me at mo) and then repossessed by the Mod as Cyclone (not sure of the date yet). 8093 according to Combat Fleets was "Metro", 8095 I last heard of at Portsmouth which CF's say was Starling! and 8096 was upposed to have been disposed of in January 1996 - Any further info please?
Rgds Neill

#6 ·
Told you Neill, it was the 8094. She was given to the Sea Cadets and renamed CANUTE. She was taken back by the MoD for use at Gibraltar and was shipped on the RFA SIR GALAHAD to Gibraltar on the 18th March 1999. She was renamed locally MSG CYCLONE (after the tug that was based in Gib in the early 80s) and in 2000 during a refit her funnel was heightened becuase the smoke used to go into the wheel house.

As of interest, she arrived in Gib on Sir Galahad with the launch Madeleine C which later became MSG AGILE. Both craft replaced the old 14m workboat CY4 and the New Zealand type launch CY3 still seen around Gibraltar as the workboats Valiant and Columbus working for the local company Gibunco.

regards,
Daniel

#10 ·
I remember them coming to Chatham Navy Base from the builders. 8090 being the first and crewed by Chatham R.M.A.S. hands, with Mate Harald Leech in charge. They had the bowboards fitted as an after thought when it was found they shoveled up water on deck when under way in any swell !
All went on to other Ports thankfully as they were not liked by our crews.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.