Ships Nostalgia banner

FAO All Nav Officers

6K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  chadburn 
#1 ·
What were your top 5 toughest entries and exits.
Mine were:-
1) Vernon Inner in anything other than a slack tide
2) Jarrow Coal Jetty. Long haul with some Gordie pilot yapping in some unintelligable tongue
3) Gib. Getting that wheel change right when before getting into dead water without hitting the breakwater was a trick.
4) Fleetwood. Lining up to that off centred lock. Murder if there was the slightest zephyr
5) Getting under the Forth Bridge at exactly the same time as a train was passing over. Thats why every Navo in the 1st & 4th MCM had a BR timetable amongst their books.

Most fun:-
The Inner passage of the Hebridies. A lot of prep neede and its a long watch to go through. Did it twice South and once North.The Gulf of Corryvreckan whirlpool is a laugh, did it once. Looks impressive though, but to drive though its OK if you watch the water. Inner passage was hard work but a lot better if the Minches were crinkly.

#3 ·
Most fun:-
The Inner passage of the Hebridies. A lot of prep neede and its a long watch to go through. Did it twice South and once North.The Gulf of Corryvreckan whirlpool is a laugh, did it once. Looks impressive though, but to drive though its OK if you watch the water. Inner passage was hard work but a lot better if the Minches were crinkly.
Was that the Sound of Mull, Sound of Islay and the Skye passage (Kyle of Lochalsh)???
Interesting and great scenery but not "fun"
Did it many times to avoid the bad weather.

#27 ·
It use to be "policy" to clear the Deck's if passing under the Forth Bridge when a train was going across at the same time otherwise you might find some small change sticking out of your head.:mad:

#6 · (Edited)
Downstream from Norwich, waiting for Reedham bridge to open, whilst the run into the bight takes your light ship steadily towards the hire cruisers alongside the pub. The grockles would leap onto the bank like cats.

I have been under the Skye bridge a number of times before it was built and hope to do so a few more times. The Sound of Luing as an alternative to Corrievreckan if you have the nerve.

#20 ·
Haven't seen any comments about this side of the Atlantic. For me sailing our of New York, the Newark Bay Draw before it was taken down..axis of the bridge openingoff set about 20 degrees to the channel axis.The current always seemed to be underfoot and you were never sure when you left the dock in Port Newark or Port Elizabeth that the draw wouldn't stick half open. Happened to me one night. Also getting into the oil berth behind the Charles River Bridge in Boston.

#23 ·
Portsmouth initially seemed difficult on an RN ship - just so much going on - but with a good team and doing it regularly I found we became pretty good. Same as anything I suppose.

The ones that stand out for me are:

- The Thames going all the way to/from Tower Bridge and Sea Reach. It was a long haul and took a lot of concentration even when I was used to it and even when we had a pilot. At night, the lights from the shore and from the disco boats could be confusing and there could be a tide running when berthing/unberthing as well.

- Anywhere in the Channel Islands - lots of yachts, French fishermen trying to berth outboard and huge tidal differences and races.

- Going through to Albert Dock in Liverpool from the river seemed difficult but it was probably more shiphandling than navigation.

- Other stand out places were Torbay - very tight, Boulogne - ferry here, ferry there, ferry up your chuff all holding alongside with thrusters which threw us sideways going into the lock!

Rosyth in itself was not too hard but you passed Admiralty House going inbound from the Bridges so timing had to be (well was supposed to be) spot on!

With the extra RN manpower available and a good team working together though, pilotage became an enjoyable challenge on most occasions and something to take pride in.

McC

#24 ·
Agreed McCloggie Pompey was easy but the Vernon eddy current was always a pain. The Channel islands reminds me of when I was NavO off Highburton.Us and a sister ship were tied up at the German Jetty in Alderney.We had a bet on a race back to Port Edgar. We were outboard and concocted a plan to snaek off early. So 2 hours before ETD we cast off, drifted away then fired up the Deltics which always made a big bang.Sister ship (name withheld) woke up, panic ensued ,she set off and pulled down a lot of the German Jetty facilities as they forgot to cast off.
But you are right I loved pilotage.

#25 ·
Ah the bang and F1 type roar of twin deltics with the ensuing black smoke. I remember it well!

Funniest thing I saw in the CIs was an RNR S/Lt being put through his paces for his "ticket". He was doing the pilotage with me and the usual team acting as safety and checking him.

CO: "Come on Sub. Is there a head mark for me here? WHere is it? What is it? Come on - speak to me!"

Flustered S/SLt: "It should be there Sir. Look" and promptly displays the appropriate page in the CI Pilot.

CO is rendered speechless and usual team step in!

Never had to do Vernon on a ship but I do remember folk telling me about it!

McC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.