Hungry Hogarths - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
15:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hungry Hogarths

Old 25th April 2007, 02:24

SAILED ON BARON ELGIN IN 57 belgim to cuba,loading sugar in Ceion Fuegus
when castros rebels raided the port,lousy feeder ,arab black gang below
never again...

Charles Compass
Old 25th April 2007, 03:15

As anyone got a picture of the Baron Garioch I jioned her in Feb 1966 till Oct
1966 she when out they said forr three months it did not help when the enggee blow up in Tampa from there to South Australia then up to Queensland for suger cane and then the rest of the trip we when between
Queensland to Japan I for one really enjoyed myself on this ship
Barry Wood
Old 17th June 2007, 21:03

I had a narrow escape, was about to join Hogarths in 1961 as an apprentice, got cold feet and declined to sign the indentures. If I remember correctly my first years salary would have been £185 increasing by either £5 or £10 annually until I had completed the 4 years.
Old 28th July 2007, 23:39

Ye may have sailed in sailing ships,ye may have sailed in tramps,
Ye may have been in whalers off The Grand Newfoundland Banks,
Ye may have been in tanker ships,and had a bloody rough time,
But ye've never been through the mill 'til ye've sailed with the Baron Line!!

Anyone know more verses?I first heard it sung by a"Makam"in the "Baron Pentland"1961/62.
Old 29th July 2007, 11:32

My location
Hi Notnila

I don't know any extra verses, but I was warned on my 2nd ship all about Hogarths at the same time as you. It must have been a song that was doing the rounds at that time. I heeded the warning and never ever found the courage to try a Baron boat, but now I feel WHAT IF?

Ron
Old 29th July 2007, 13:11
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1964 - 1986

As I was wandering 'round the docks
A lookin' at the ships
I saw the Baron Cawdor
Underneath the tips
I asked the skipper for a job
He said "You'll do me fine
There's plenty jobs for bums and stiffs in the good old Baron Line"

The mate was from Iona
The skipper from Dundee
The bosun & the chippy from across the Irish sea
The sailors from the Mersey
The fireman from the Tyne
You've never seen such a ****** up crew 'till you sailed with the Baron Line

The cook he was fron Senegal,
The steward from Tyree
We had mutton for the dinner
And curry for the tea
The mates they got the bacon
The crew we got the rind
You've never seen starvation lads
'till you sailed with the Baron Line

Happy Days.
Old 29th July 2007, 21:04

Great stuff Oldsalt 1!!!Thanks for that.
Old 10th August 2007, 13:42
Super Moderator
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Barrie,

just been reading this thread. There are two pictures of Baron Garioch in the galleries. One in mine and one other.

Hawkey01
Old 10th September 2007, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnila View Post
Nobody out there prepared to admit signing on a Baron Boat? Ijoined the Baron Pentland 1962 in Bremen( Prescot St Pool ) gave us 1 each and put us on the train to Harwich.8 month trip 7 ports.Wish I was in her now.
I joined my first ship 'Baron Geddes' as an Apprentice at Redheads yard South Shields in April 1958, ship had just been converted from coal to oil burning.
It only took me a short time to realise that the Captain had got a better job than I had, which gave me the incentive to gat down to the studdies and get my tickets, Had many varied and mostly enjoyable trips with Hogarths servivng later on Baron Herrries, Baron Jedburgh and Baron Kinnaird
I left Hogarths in 1964 by which time I had a Mate's certificate.

regards Robin Craythorn
Old 10th September 2007, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craythorn View Post
I joined my first ship 'Baron Geddes' as an Apprentice at Redheads yard South Shields in April 1958, ship had just been converted from coal to oil burning.
It only took me a short time to realise that the Captain had got a better job than I had, which gave me the incentive to gat down to the studdies and get my tickets, Had many varied and mostly enjoyable trips with Hogarths servivng later on Baron Herrries, Baron Jedburgh and Baron Kinnaird

regards Robin Craythorn
Robin,

Pleased to see you reprieved yourself by giving that well earned Second Mates (FG) its correct title of Certificate. I always thought 'ticket' was demeaning. I sweated blood for mine in 61. Might be appropriate or even overstating things today!

Brgds
Old 1st October 2007, 15:23
Active: 1936 - 1986

Having recently placed a request for contact with a shipmate Harry Campbell in FREECREST during 1951- in Crew Members thread,it reminded me of that voyage...
FREECREST was a tramp of Crest Line - Ivan Ivanovic & Co London..
Chartered by Saguenay Terminals the voyage was 11th July to 17th December 1951..
Signed on at Tilbury and all Deck crew were local to Grays and Tilbury including my brother Les AB ,I was Bosun..
Sailed in ballast for Trinidad and at Chagaramas we loaded bauxite ore for Port Alfred on Saguenay River, 8 hours discharging here then sailed for Dingwall NS..Loaded gypsum ore here for Savannah Georgia...then to McKenzie Guyana and here we loaded bauxite for Port Alfred,discharged cargo then to Newport News Va and loaded coal for Germany..Arrived Hamburg on 25th October.Following discharge of cargo at Diestel Quai we lay by for four days for engine repairs which was ideal for me as my future wife lived in Hamburg..
Sailed in ballast for Baltimore and here we loaded coal for Rotterdam sailing on 27th November.
Clearing Hampton Roads we received warnings of a hurricane and two days later we entered into it.Within a few hours 70 feet seas were completely submerging the ship.In three days we made no headway and the ship suffered much damage..Wire reels,pipes and pipe casings on the foredeck were carried away and washed overboard as was the gangway on port side..No1 derricks were bent and huge seas stove in the lower face of the bridge causing flooding in the officers saloon and cabins.. a lifeboat and davits were damaged... potato lockers were washed overboard and the entrance doors to the crew accomodation aft were stove in allowing tons of water to flood the cabins of seamen and firemen below...with the violent rolling of the ship this water demolished the bulkheads,bunks and lockers.
It was a total shambles.
The seamen and firemen were then accomodated in messrooms amidships..
Captain Taylor remained on the bridge all through this time until the wind decreased in strength..
Arriving in Rotterdam a tug supplied steam to the windlass and winches to enable us to moor ship and to top the derricks.
The ship would be in port a considerable time for repairs so the crew were paid off.
FREECREST was built in 1942 as EMPIRE AUSTEN ..In 1949 renamed FRINTON of Counties Ship Management ...1951 FREECREST Crest Line ... 1955 FAIRWATER Liberian flag ... 1961 APJ USHA Indian owners and 1962 broken up at Bombay..
Surviving that hurricane FREECREST proved a credit to her builders Lithgows of Port Glasgow....
Stan..
Old 1st October 2007, 16:10

My location
Some story Stan

You had me hanging on sounds like the water got everywhere, but the cargo which was a godsend. I think that illustrates how dangerous the sea is.

Regards Ron
Old 1st October 2007, 20:57

Thanks Ron,
You mentioning the cargo reminded me we had no hatch locking bars.
On receiving news of impending hurricane we - the seamen,Chief and 2nd Officer,2 Cadets and 2nd Engineer passed the runners from derrick head blocks through shackles on deck and accross the hatches,criss cross then hove tight...We used canvas vent covers for chafing on coamings...
May have been some damage or worse if we had not taken these precautions.. Regards Stan.
Old 2nd October 2007, 12:21
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Stan your memory for the finer details of your trips is truly amazing, when I see a post of yours I know it will be extremely interesting. Keep them coming.
Old 2nd October 2007, 13:53

R58484956 -Thankyou for your encouraging comments..
Not only memory -that sometimes fails me - but I have many diaries,Accounts of Wages,documents,shore leave passes and my Sub Book dating from WINHA 3rd November 1942 to EMPIRE BALTIC 7th May 1956 when I left the sea [but not ships]..
The Sub Book records all subs in ports with dates,Allotments made and Bond issues of beer,cigarettes,soap etc..very helpful in research..
I also have many photos taken during my time at sea..
I am very grateful to my father for preserving these personal treasures..
I feel I should have put Crest Line in a separate Thread as these are Baron boat postings - so will do it now..
Regards Stan...
Old 2nd October 2007, 15:04
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
Stan's comments and actions (I am in awe of the memory)in the absence of locking bars was a routine occasionally used in Hain's when crossing the Southern from Australia to the Cape, when I look back on the Trevelyan she was pretty low in the water with minimal freeboard you needed everything.
The biggest complaint was from the Chief about "------ Deckies want Steam on deck at sea".
As that well known philosopher Ari Stotle said "Seamanship is the art of improvisation".
Yours aye,
Slick
Yours
Old 2nd October 2007, 17:15

Yes Slick,
Surprising how many tramps did not have locking bars.
I think that was the main reason for the tragic loss of AMBASSADOR although I don't believe it was mentioned at the inquest...Stan.
Old 9th October 2008, 19:58

caswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
never sailed on a baron boat,there were to many companys around like them,why should they have all the fun,but i belive there was one baron boat out of glasgow you could not get a job on,i think it was only short trips of about one month, full glasgow crowd home port,good run
Baron Boat out of Glasgow. Was the Baron Forbes. Built 19179 Ex world war 1 prize. Glasgow Lisbon Whisky out Port home. During war it was said that the Germans "Looked after her". Whisky dischaged in Losbon into rail cars marked Hamburg.see Tramp Steamers At War, George Gunn was an apprentice in her in the 2nd World War. Caswell.
Old 9th October 2008, 20:16

Caswell ex Baron Line Apprentice 152/6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersuk View Post
Has anyone got a pic of Baron Inchcape (II)? It would be much appreciated for forwarding to an ex Baron boat man in New Zealand.

Derek
Hi If you go to H Hogarth & Sons Limited.A short history World Ship Soccierty publication It is still available.Page24 Good photo Baron Inchcape (11) All fleet listed over all years and many photos.

I was in baron Herries and Baron Geddes.
Old 9th October 2008, 23:00

Worked by on the baron renfrew Liverpool July 1960 the old one, day after she docked and believe me it was the worst kitchen and pantry a had ever seen nothing in the fridges ,pile of food on the floor in the cool room which was unfit to eat but found a large fruit cake and some tea and sugar and that was it.Stand bye captain, chief engineer and steward and myself were the first on board,it was overrun with roaches and was declared unfit for sea,
it was fumigated and the new captain asked me to sign on but I was offered the Catalina star I wish I hadn't bothered it was not the best trip I ever did

Tony Allen

Last edited by TonyAllen : 9th October 2008 at 23:33.
Old 9th October 2008, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by caswell View Post
Baron Boat out of Glasgow. Was the Baron Forbes. Built 19179 Ex world war 1 prize. Glasgow Lisbon Whisky out Port home. During war it was said that the Germans "Looked after her". Whisky dischaged in Losbon into rail cars marked Hamburg.see Tramp Steamers At War, George Gunn was an apprentice in her in the 2nd World War. Caswell.
Interesting theory, Caswell.

I looked her up in Miramar and the 1922 vintage "Baron Forbes" was originally "Hamburg" built at Luebeck in 1916 for Oldenburg-Portuigiesische DR - maybe she was specially built for the wine and spirits trade.

Man cannot live by beer alone - no wonder those SS men had Red Labels on their Schnappy uniforms.

John T.
Old 10th October 2008, 09:43

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan mayes View Post
Yes Slick,
Surprising how many tramps did not have locking bars.
I think that was the main reason for the tragic loss of AMBASSADOR although I don't believe it was mentioned at the inquest...Stan.
"Ambassador" had stowed heavy gangway on No.3 hatch and, therefore considered it unnecessary to ship locking bars over hatch. Heavy seas shipped displaced gangway with disastrous results to the tarps and subsequent ingress of water.

Vic Pitcher
Manners makyth man
Old 13th October 2008, 02:58

I am reading with interest about hungry Hogarths, as I was on the pool in Sunderland we tended to join most of our vessels in the whilst in drydock and subsequently I was in a couple of Baron boats in the early sixties, long trips no food.

However there were a few bandit companys aroud at that time, chatty Chapmans, Ropners, West Hartlepool Steam Navigation Company.

I remember on one of Chapmans (the Norton) the Chief Steward a typical belly robber of those days intructing the chief cook not to give the crew a full kipper for breakfast, but to share one between two, also on Sunday(steak egg and chips) to half the steaks.

Happy days alas no more.

shipboard.
Old 15th October 2008, 12:09
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
Think thats the man who went on to run a blackpool guest house. the only breakfast chef to reslice a slice of bacon ... LOL
Old 12th November 2008, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craythorn View Post

regards Robin Craythorn
I was also an apprentice in these ships Baron Herries 1952/4 Baron Geddes 1954/6. Caswell