Rotterdam (5) - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rotterdam (5)

Old 12th October 2006, 15:06

After the s.s. ROTTERDAM has been drydocked in Cadiz and the hull repainted in dove-grey, she was towed to Gdanks, Poland where she arrived at the end of February.
In Gdansk they met big problems as down in the refrigerators, some 500 cubic meter asbestos toxic waste was found which was not reported to the Polish authorities.
A lack of licences also occurred and at the end of the story, the governor of Pomorania ordered the ship to leave Polish waters.
She did and was towed to Wilhelmshaven in Germany, where she arrived on 2 September. As stated by the owners, the ship would stay there for six to eight weeks (Wilhelmshaven Port Authorities notes e.t.d. 31 October) during which time the asbestos waste should be offloaded and restoration work of the exterior would be done.
Next Saturday she is in Wilhelmshaven and nothing has been done yet.
Last week I was informed that finally all licences were completed and that the work would start this week. A further delay was not denied nor confirmed. Nor was a return to Gdansk confirmed although the owners have stated that after Wilhelmshaven should return to Gdansk for further refurbishment.

The photo attached is showing the ship in Wilhelmshaven, photographed by me on 6 September 2006.
More photos can be viewed via my website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT3344-2.jpg (88.3 KB, 27 views)

Willem van der Leek
"It's good to see a well-run site!"
http://www.vdleek.nl

Last edited by wvdleek : 12th October 2006 at 17:21.
Old 12th October 2006, 16:46

My location
Rotterdam Model

I was about to post this in "News from Yesteryear" but for those interested here's the model.

From the Illustrated London News, 22nd September, 1962.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rotterdam ILN 620922s.jpg (149.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 13th October 2006, 01:36

Willem, thanks for this , the full story can be viewed as follows:

http://www.ssrotterdam.net/

You also find up to date photos of this ship from the moment she was moved from the Bahamas. Top class photos.

Jan
Old 13th October 2006, 01:43

Marconi Sahib, more about models of this ship:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=5982

Jan
Old 13th October 2006, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Hendrik View Post
Willem, thanks for this , the full story can be viewed as follows:

http://www.ssrotterdam.net/

You also find up to date photos of this ship from the moment she was moved from the Bahamas. Top class photos.

Jan
Hello Jan-Hendrik,

The full story is not only on the Foundation's website, but also on mine.

While the ship was in Gdansk, I received the information about the first ultimatum. Two days later, the Foundation inquired on which day I received that information and stated, just like the PR of the owners did, that this information was not true. However, on that same day, the representative in Gdansk, mr. Hagens, confirmed on Radio Rijnmond that they indeed received that ultimatum.

I know all about the Foundation as I have been a boardmember for several years, but for personal reasons I stepped down in May this year.

Willem van der Leek
Old 13th October 2006, 11:24

Willem, after I posted my reaction then I also saw your other article and understand you were once involved with the foundation.
I deal with a certain person of that foundation now in relation to the usage of some photos as I do presentations about this vessel down under.
I also visited the RDM when they received the model from Madurodam, that was a nice project.
Meanwhile beste groeten,
Jan
Old 13th October 2006, 11:51

Hi Jan-Hendrik,

Just take a look into my photo-albums and tell me which I can provide to you as long as you are not involved with ssmaritime.

I can tell you that it was a great pleasure for me to see my old cabin after such a long time when the ship arrived in Gibraltar.

Willem van der Leek
Old 13th October 2006, 14:35

Willem, thanks for your offer . I 've seen your photos but those are similar to the ones I already have and I also received a complete set of over 80 from the drydocking in Cadiz.
I also took photos during her launch in 1958 and several times after that whilst living in Rotterdam.
Thanks,
Jan
p.s. I am not involved with ssMaritime, don't know them, have seen their site once I think.
Old 17th October 2006, 13:21

My correspondent in Wilhelmshaven has reported that Turbo-Technik has built a 'container' living/storage building on the quay near the ship. However, there is no sign at all that any work is carried out on the ship, in spite of the information that all licences have been completed and the work would start in the week of 9 October.
Two new photos (made by mr. Cai Rönnau, Wilhelmshaven) can be seen on my website.

Willem van der Leek
Old 17th October 2006, 16:07

Unconfirmed rumours are going around, that because of all problems encountered, the s.s. ROTTERDAM will not return to Gdansk for further restoration.

I wonder if there is a penalty-clause in the contract which was signed in July by the owners and the yard.

Willem van der Leek
Old 27th August 2008, 20:19

Hallo, Jan Hendrik, mijn Engels is slecht, dus doe ik het in het Ned..
Ik ben maritiem kunstschilder en ook lid van de ver. van de HAL, dus veel schilderijen van de Rotterdam enz. kijk op www.galeriemarkant.nl en via aanbod naar schepen, als je wilt kan ik je foto,s toesturen, in elk geval bedankt voor je regelmatige bijdrage met nieuwe foto,s.
groeten, Frans Romeijnsen
Old 28th August 2008, 02:14

Hallo Frans, ik zal je een mail sturen.

"Will send you a mail"

Jan
Old 9th January 2009, 22:36

Talking Rotterdam brochure 1963

I've scanned it for us...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Digitalizar0127.jpg (184.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Digitalizar0128.jpg (177.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Digitalizar0129.jpg (139.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Digitalizar0130.jpg (161.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 1st February 2009, 11:14

Late in the evening of 30 January, the s.s. Rotterdam was moved 30 meters backwards towards the river and 12 meters out of the quay.
When she was in position, the triangles were fixed to the piles which were driven in the Maashaven.
Moored in this way, the ship can move with the tide and while she is 12 meters free from the quay, no damage to the hull can occur.
My friend Leon and two other friends went into the very cold evening to make photos, which can be seen on my website.

Latest news is that she will be opened for the public in the summer of 2009.

The hotel is now taking reservations for dates after 1 July.

Willem van der Leek
Old 1st February 2009, 14:48

Two photos taken by my friend Leon Beesemer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LB-IMG_2828-2009-02-01.jpg (135.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg LB-IMG_2839-2009-02-01.jpg (147.8 KB, 21 views)

Willem van der Leek
Old 6th July 2009, 08:03

Rotterdam (5)

Through my contacts I visited the ship last month and after passing a number of security checks, then I spent a bit of time on the various decks and can only conclude that the work won't be finalised end of July as now anticipated.
It is quite possible they open small sections up to the public, but my modest view is that they need another 6 months, perhaps even more.
Jan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9112.jpg (35.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9124.jpg (32.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 27th October 2009, 21:53

Last week the owners and operators of the Rotterdam made public that it is doubtful whether the Rotterdam will be open for the public this year. The work on the ship is proceeding very well. The main part of the interior is ready, except for the loose furniture and pieces of equipment. They can only be placed on board with permission of the authorities. The main issue on board now is testing the technical installation.

Willem van der Leek
Old 10th February 2010, 21:00

On 30 and 31 January 2010, two pre-opening visits were organised. I could go on both days and have four photo-albums added to my website.

Willem van der Leek
Old 16th February 2010, 13:20

After having waited for a very long time, the s.s. Rotterdam is now open to the public.
RTV Rijnmond has published some photos http://www.rtvrijnmond.nl/Programmas...terdam%20slide

Some 'famous' Rotterdammers, like Gerard Cox (artist) and Bram Peper (former mayor) were invited for an official opening lunch.

According to my daughter they forgot to invite me as to her I am the most famous Rotterdammer she has ever met in her life

Willem van der Leek
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:38

When visiting the s.s. Rotterdam as a day-visitor or staying on board as a hotelguest, please note that you are not able to see the whole ship.

You are only allowed to go into the Club-room (dinner only), the Lido-restaurant (closed for day-visitors till noon as it is in use as breakfast-room for hotelguests) and the Ocean Bar (too small fror the number of people wanting to get a drink).

All other public rooms, such as the Queens Lounge, the Ambassador, the Ritz and the former diningrooms are closed as they are not run by the hotel, but by the company taking care of conferences.

As a day-visitor and hotel-guest you can buy a ship-tour to see the bridge, the rooms on bridgedeck, the doredeck and the engineroom.

When strolling the outerdecks without taking a tour, you might be sent away.

This is the big issue when a project is run by three companies, i.e. there are three captains on the ship

Willem van der Leek
Old 16th March 2010, 00:45

Smile Preservation of a "Grande Dame"

I spent five years working on this most beautiful ship. I am delighted that she has not gone the way of many of her peers - to Alang or ???. The movers and shakers behind the hugely expensive preservation project are to be congratulated.
A rare case of a "Grande Dame" escaping an inglorious end. Thanks to the Rotterdam Preservation group.
Great news this week that the Doulos is to be saved in Singapore. Now all we need is for the US government or private enterprise to do the same with the "Big U".
Long live the Rotterdam!!!!!
Old 16th March 2010, 01:03

Hi Willem,
This news saddens me. I was looking froward to the opportunity of strolling down memory lane on my next visit to Rotterdam [the city] and see [the ship] for the first time in many years. I hope they manage to sort out these issues soon
Old 22nd March 2010, 02:33

My location
SS Rotterdam

There is a newsreel clip, with sound, of Queen Juliana launching the ship in 1958, on the British Pathe site.

It also shows close up film of the original large model.

Taff
Old 16th July 2012, 21:06

has anyone stayed aboard as i have booked for 2 nights next month
Old 18th July 2012, 02:31

David, I stayed two nights on board. Excellent cabin and great views, excursion is expensive but worthwile I guess.
There are few restaurants, lido is less expensive and excellent to my opinion.
Carpark in front, proper signage to get there despite the small roads.
You can take the water taxi (jetty just 10 metres from the stern) to the city, they do several stops and just tell them to go to the nearest jetty to town, it is called Spido jetty. takes 5 to max 10 minutes.
Jan