Glen Line Officer Detained in China - Ships Nostalgia
23:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Glen Line Officer Detained in China

Old 14th April 2009, 09:33

Glen Line Officer Detained in China

Can any of the members recall, I think it was a second mate being taken off a Glen Line ship in China for marking up a chart or some other minor act which upset the Chinese. I believe he was held for a good spell while it was sorted out. I remember hearing of this story when on the Glenaffric (formerly Nestor) when we were leaving Tsingtao around 1969.
If anyone has more details I would love to hear the full story.
Thanks.
Succour
Old 13th July 2009, 21:34

My location
Go to thread on Glenogle, it may be whatyou are looking for. Best of luck.
Old 13th August 2009, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succour View Post
Can any of the members recall, I think it was a second mate being taken off a Glen Line ship in China for marking up a chart or some other minor act which upset the Chinese. I believe he was held for a good spell while it was sorted out. I remember hearing of this story when on the Glenaffric (formerly Nestor) when we were leaving Tsingtao around 1969.
Thanks.
Succour
I was a junior engineer (7th I think) on Glengyle in 1960 when, whilst in Tientsin, the assistant pursor, whose name was Sam, from Leeds was arrested by the chinese guards at the local club for defacing posters depicting
The Big Leap Forward. He was held for about 3 days and cost the company a fair bit to get him released.
Hope this helps.

Kennicott
Old 14th August 2009, 11:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2010

My location
Master & 2nd mate on Perseus were arrested about this time
Old 15th August 2009, 08:32
Active: 1957 - 1998

My location
They (the Chinese) were having a field day around that time. The trip after I went on leave all the officers except the Old Man and Chief were taken off the "Eastern Moon" (Jardines) in Shanghai for similar alleged minor 'crimes'. After making them kneel on pallets for a few hours in the hot sun while hundreds of Red Guards jeered them, they were paraded along the other ships with a ripped up red ensign around their necks. After a couple of days in prison they were put into house arrest in the Seamens Club and made to read Chairman Mao's thoughts all day. I think it was a couple of weeks later they were all taken to the Hong Kong border and repatriated. With the exception of the 2nd Mate all were told they would be welcome back to the Peoples Republic. (!!)
The ship was stuck until the next Jardines ship was due in (I think Eastern Rover) and she brought replacement officers. The Red Guards didn't finish there as when they first invaded the ship she was painted all over - hull and topsides - with enormous Chinese slogans, they informed the Master that these must stay until the vessel's return, otherwise she would not be allowed back, so she had to call up and down the Aussy Coast done up like a takeaway, much to the puzzlement of the wharfies !
That Red Guard period was something I will never forget, I'm sure along with fellow seafarers who were there then

Mike

Last edited by MikeK : 15th August 2009 at 08:40.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:27

Incident in China

Hi there,

I am ex BF/Glen Line R/O 1957/1963.

Joined DWS in 1966 and posted to Singapore 1967/1969.

Was invited to visit Demodocus on her visit to Singapore, I think in late 1968, by 1st R/O/Purser Carl Bent who I sailed with as 2nd R/O on Cardiganshire in 1960 and with whom I maintained contact.

If I remember correctly Demodocus subsequently sailed to Shanghai where where whilst they were working cargo and after protracted investigations by Chinese Authorities involving all the deck officers, the searching of all crews accom and intensive questioning of all crew members the 2nd Mate Pete Crouch was arrested, tried publicly and found guilty of spying. He spent I believe some months in prison before being released and repatriated. A most unpleasant experience for all concerned!!.

Hope this is helpful! and is the incident you refered to.

Regards,

Mike Poundes

nnnn
Old 19th November 2009, 12:22
eriskay eriskay is online now   SN Supporter
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1967

My location
For MikeK:

Without a doubt, Mike, that avatar of yours takes the No. 1 spot on SN!

A wee story. Some months back I was perusing SN and you had a posting on the particular thread I was reading, when a small voice from behind me announced "Bat! Bat! ..."

It was was my little grand-daughter, Holly, who, when seeing something she did not like or was frightened of, would come out with this word, which was her way of trying to say "Bad!"

She had spotted this little beastie desperately trying to find an escape path out of Grampa's computer and was quite distressed !

Now when they come visiting and if I happen to be on the computer, she keeps looking at the screen to see if "Bat!" has made a reappearance : - )

Angus
Old 21st November 2009, 12:02

AS you know, it was impossible to visit other ships. whilst in Shanghai on Glengarry I received a visit from a european type who said he was off another ship. he started to ask me all sorts of questions, said he was an R/O but I had my doubts. I had been trying to learn chinese from my steward and had a smattering. no doubt Mao did not think that a good idea. did not take me ashore though. happy days.
Old 22nd November 2009, 07:35
Active: 1957 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriskay View Post
For MikeK:

Without a doubt, Mike, that avatar of yours takes the No. 1 spot on SN!

A wee story. Some months back I was perusing SN and you had a posting on the particular thread I was reading, when a small voice from behind me announced "Bat! Bat! ..."

It was was my little grand-daughter, Holly, who, when seeing something she did not like or was frightened of, would come out with this word, which was her way of trying to say "Bad!"

She had spotted this little beastie desperately trying to find an escape path out of Grampa's computer and was quite distressed !

Now when they come visiting and if I happen to be on the computer, she keeps looking at the screen to see if "Bat!" has made a reappearance : - )

Angus
Hi Angus, had a little chuckle over your grand-daughter and my avatar. Just as long as she doesn't try and get rid of it with something heavy !
When you read this tell her I've made it do an extra wiggle on this one, just for her !

regards

Mike
Old 22nd November 2009, 08:19

The Second Mate detained and paraded at a stadum by the Chinese had the surname of Duff, I cannot remember his first name. I remember standing by an ED,s ship (Egori I think) in Tillbury with him, he was over 6ft tall and a good bridge player.
Old 22nd November 2009, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succour View Post
Thanks.
Succour
The Second Mate detained and paraded at a stadum by the Chinese had the surname of Duff, I cannot remember his first name. I remember standing by an ED,s ship (Egori I think) in Tillbury with him, he was over 6ft tall and a good bridge player.
Old 24th November 2009, 23:45
eriskay eriskay is online now   SN Supporter
Active: 1964 - 1967

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Hi Angus, had a little chuckle over your grand-daughter and my avatar. Just as long as she doesn't try and get rid of it with something heavy !
When you read this tell her I've made it do an extra wiggle on this one, just for her !

regards

Mike

Evening, Mike !

She will be back visiting within the next week sometime so I look forward to showing her the performing 'Bat!' wee beastie putting on a special show just for her

Thanks and Regards !
Old 18th October 2010, 17:50
Active: 1964 - 2005

His name is Pat Duff. Sailed with him in the 80's on the Libyan tankers managed by Ocean. Was also with him in Falmouth when the Cyclops was sold to the Greeks. A great guy to work and sail with.
George T