Rubens - Ships Nostalgia
09:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rubens

Old 8th January 2006, 20:32

Exclamation Rubens

I sailed on the Rubens as 2nd mate for five trips from 1968 onwards. The master was MacNeil, known to all as 'Black Mac' originally from Barra but long time resident in the Merseyside area. No doubt some of you will remenber him.
This Rubens was a transfer from Austalasia line ( I think that is correct ) and not exactly in the first flush of youth when we joined. However as with other L&H ships I sailed on it was a good crew.
How many of you remember the fire on the Rubens, which broke out when we were a 100miles or so off Recife? Unfortunately I do not have the exact date, but I do remember the time which was just before noon, as when I heard the alarms I assumed it was noon and I had missed the midday position which would have been a fate worse than death. We were later informed by those that knew about these things , who said the probable cause was a dockers cigarette from Liverpool in a bale of smouldering material which a change in ventilation had ignited. At one stage it was quite concerning with the ship's side red hot and steaming at the waterline. The damage to the cargo was extensive, including whisky, and the usual mix, fortunately no livestock on deck.
We did all we could to contain and made best speed for Recife which was not a lot. What followed in Recife over a week or so was a complete farce with different fire brigades competing to give assisitance. When I look back on it Black Mac handled the situation very well and eventually we continued the voyage. A loss adjuster was sent out from the UK and I learnt a lot from him about general average and such. On eventual return to Liverpool the only questions I was asked, other than a snide comment on my claim for gear damaged fighting the fire was that my bar bill ( and all the others ) was unusually high.
I would be interested to hear from anyone on the Rubens at that time as it was certainly one of the more memorable voyages.

georged
Old 31st August 2008, 20:53

Thumbs up Cpt Macneil

I remember "Black Mac" very well, a good skipper & fine seaman, He was master of the "Devis" in 1958/60 where I did 6 trips as a cadet. We even formed a skiffle group called the Macneil Seven (Lonnie Donegan was popular at this time) which he was quite amused by.
Old 17th December 2010, 20:04

I Remember Black Mac Skippered The Romney In 73-74 Once Sailed With Never - Never Forgoten