WANTED - PLANS & DRAWINGS ... for Watson 47 Class Lifeboat - Ships Nostalgia
13:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

WANTED - PLANS & DRAWINGS ... for Watson 47 Class Lifeboat

Old 4th October 2009, 18:14

WANTED - PLANS & DRAWINGS ... for Watson 47 Class Lifeboat

For quite some time I have been trying to source the plans and general arrangement drawings, as well as any other drawings, or manuals for a Watson 47 Class Motor Lifeboat. Preferably for my own vessel Joseph Soar, but for any Watson 47 would be a great help.

Joseph Soar (ON-971) - Watson 47ft Motor Lifeboat, Built by J. Samuel Whites Yard, Isle of Wight 1963 & has a yard 'Hull Number' as well - W5533

Converted to Self-Righting 1976 - by William Osbornes Yard.

I have made enquiries directly with the RNLI and The National Maritime Museum, but without success & I am hoping that some members here might have some tucked away, or might be able help with some contacts or leads. I have looked back at old Threads and Posts here - plans & drawings have been mentioned ... http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showth...ght=RNLI+Plans

There WILL be a Reward ... probably in the form of 'Manifold-Heatable Devon Pasties' ...
Old 4th October 2009, 22:49

I'm nearly sure that plans etc of RNLI boats can be bought from the RNLI at poole. some of the ex lifeboat men maybe can put you right on that.
Old 5th October 2009, 11:30

Thanks billmaca ... I did contact the RNLI directly, but learned that they had submitted all in their possession to the National Maritime Museum. I approached them hoping for the Plans & Drawings of my own vessel Joesph Soar (0N-971), but they stated that they didn't have any Plans etc for that boat. I then enquired about the Plans & Drawings of any of the other 17 Watson 47's built & I am now having any luck there either. My hope is that someone might have Plans in a general collection of RNLI documents and might be willing to sell them ar allow me to copy them.
Old 14th October 2009, 22:22

Hi i think i can help you with plans of the louise ann hawker 47ft wason. my uncle lives in bideford, devon and i know for certain that he has the plans. his name is Victor berry. let me know how you get on, as i would like a copy of the plans, as a family dispute means that he won't let me have a copy to make a model to put in the appledore lifeboat station
Old 20th October 2009, 18:08

I managed to locate & just received copies of the following Plans at the Liverpool Maritime Museum;

Helen Wycherley (0N-959)... 1961

(1) General Arrangement : Internal Profile & Deck Arrangement. Scale 1"=1ft. Size 57cm x 30cm. (1961)
(2) General Arrangement of Fitted Sections. Scale 1"=1ft. Size 50cm x 29cm. (1961)

If BERRY or anyone else wants a copy, then you can e-mail ..

John.Moore (at) liverpoolmuseums.org.uk

In addition, I have also located & ordered Two, 'Machinery Arrangement Plans' for ON-920 ... Dunnet Head (Civil Service No. 31) ... Built 1955,
from the National Maritime Museum. Copies can be ordered ... contact details;

plansandphotos (at) nmm.ac.uk
Old 21st October 2009, 20:26

My location
The lifeboat Dunnet Head was ravaged by fire on station at Thurso nov. 1956 she was only six months old,shed and boat went up.
Old 15th February 2011, 17:13

ON971 Joseph Soar

Hi, I found your post while doing some research of my own into Watson Class lifeboats.

Regarding the Joseph Soar ON971 the drawings you are looking for do exist, you need to phone the RNLI and ask for the Engineering Help Desk, the documents you want are available in electronic format (I have them right in front of me) however due to RNLI policy I am not allowed to simply give them to you. The documents include General Assembly as fitted, ventilation and Arrgt as fitted, buoyancy clocks as fitted, sections as fitted, pumps, drains, vents as fitted(Unclear image).

I hope this helps
Old 15th February 2011, 18:40

JWalshe ... Thanks .. !

I will call them tomorrrow. As mentioned in my previous post, I did obtain various full size drawings, which although are of other Watson 47's, they are fairly typical of the Class and are extremely usefull.

If there is anything I can help you with in your research, then please just ask.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:07

JWalshe ..... The MOTHER LODE ..... !!!!

.... seven drawings all specific to Joseph Soar ..
Old 26th May 2011, 02:15

Hi, I am looking at building the Watson class Lifeboat "TGB". can anyone help with plans etc...
Old 28th May 2011, 13:25

I have just bought the "Good Hope" ex Montrose lifeboat(watson 47)
Built 1939 at Robertsons Sandbank,Trying to find out the air draught so I can get it back to the Clyde on a Transporter. Any help would be greatly received.
Old 6th June 2011, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkmarine View Post
I have just bought the "Good Hope" ex Montrose lifeboat(watson 47)
Built 1939 at Robertsons Sandbank,Trying to find out the air draught so I can get it back to the Clyde on a Transporter. Any help would be greatly received.
The 'Official' air draft of the Watson 47ft is 11' .. & that is with all antennas/masts lowered.

A word of caution though - there were several converted to self-righting and obviously some had post RNLI conversions / additions, so worth double-checking with a tape measure and two poles when on dry-land.
Old 6th June 2011, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPaxton View Post
Hi, I am looking at building the Watson class Lifeboat "TGB". can anyone help with plans etc...
Lifeboat Model Makers here;

http://lifeboats24-7.co.uk/forum/index.php?showforum=28

... who i am sure will be able to offer some advice.
Old 8th June 2011, 14:10

Tgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPaxton View Post
The actual boat is at what passes for the Scottish Maritime Museum in Irvine. I'm sure if you spoke to them nicely they'd let you have a close look.
Old 6th February 2013, 15:34

I have the plans for AMT on963

I own AMT (now AMiTy), 47' Watson.

I have the bluprints of general layout, hull dimensions, wiring diagram.

Of which I have a copy of the general layout available (plan view, w/house internal, port/stbd views, stern view) but not the others, these would need to be copied.

Any use?
Old 6th March 2013, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMiTy slave View Post
I own AMT (now AMiTy), 47' Watson.

I have the bluprints of general layout, hull dimensions, wiring diagram.

Of which I have a copy of the general layout available (plan view, w/house internal, port/stbd views, stern view) but not the others, these would need to be copied.

Any use?
Thanks .. I have sent you a message ...