SY Wendorian - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
12:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

SY Wendorian

Old 26th September 2009, 17:37

A bit off topic but I did 3 months pre-sea at King Teds, Autumn term 1958.
Does anyone remember a Captain Wood who lived in the residence at Cromwell Road? Not sure what he did or why he was there, as a Mr and Mrs Owen seemed to be in general charge of the place. But Captain Wood was the sort of person who a pre-sea cadet avoided at all costs if it were possible.
Old 26th September 2009, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb42 View Post
Does anyone remember a Captain Wood who lived in the residence at Cromwell Road? Not sure what he did or why he was there, as a Mr and Mrs Owen seemed to be in general charge of the place. But Captain Wood was the sort of person who a pre-sea cadet avoided at all costs if it were possible.
JohnB42,
We must have been at King Ted's together as I did the same 3 month pre-sea training in the autumn of 58. Which Company did you go to after King Ted's?
Kind regards,
John.
Old 26th September 2009, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_F View Post
JohnB42,
We must have been at King Ted's together as I did the same 3 month pre-sea training in the autumn of 58. Which Company did you go to after King Ted's?
Kind regards,
John.
Hi John,
I went to Paddy Hendersons from King Teds.
Rgds
John
Old 26th September 2009, 20:40

Johnb42,
Are you in this photo taken on the Wendorian October/November 58?
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...p?photo=192550
Kind regards,
John.
Old 26th September 2009, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_F View Post
Johnb42,
Are you in this photo taken on the Wendorian October/November 58?
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...p?photo=192550
Kind regards,
John.
Hi John,
No this wasn't my 'trip'. I think I recognise the lad to the right of the bell, but can't remember a name. The one just to the left of the bell looks like Joe Groves, but I might be way off mark.
I struggle to remember any names from my pre-sea as I only did 3 months, but I recall a Coe, a Nind, a Groves, a Dry and Jenkins who I'd been to secondary school with in Stevenage. Fee is another name that's just sprung out of my memory bank. It was all long time ago, though.
Kind regards
John
Old 27th September 2009, 06:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb42 View Post
I was on the one year course starting in September 1958 and remember Capt. Wood well but as you say, have no idea what he was doing there except to yell at every Cadet in his drunken stupor. Probably the most miserable specimen of human life I have ever encountered.

Mr. & Mrs. Owen were certainly the team who made the residence work and what great people they were.
Old 30th September 2009, 16:49

KEV11 Re: Capt. Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Star View Post
I was on the one year course starting in September 1958 and remember Capt. Wood well but as you say, have no idea what he was doing there except to yell at every Cadet in his drunken stupor. Probably the most miserable specimen of human life I have ever encountered.

Mr. & Mrs. Owen were certainly the team who made the residence work and what great people they were.

I spent a year in '51 under Capt. Chase the principle, teachers Capts. Miller, Griffiths, Fifield and the brute of a maintenance man called Gulliver who was in charge of the Cromwell Rd. residence.
He must have been fired and the Owens took over the running of the residence.
At that time there was much to be desired and a time when the senior cadets told us to strike (refuse to eat when served dinner one day).
I have many memories of the early days (teething times) at KE but would do it all over as its the best training any boy could ask for.
Cheers for those precious days - come good or bad. Come rain or shine.
Old 30th September 2009, 17:25

Quote:

An episode I remember with clearly to this day was when the clothes iron broke. Mrs Owen being the lovely lady that she, was loaned "us" hers.
The events went something like this.
A quiet Saturday afternoon at Cromwell Road residence, cadet ironing his shirts in the ironing room. Captain Wood, full to the gills walks by. "That's Mrs Owen's iron you're using boy". "I don't know whose iron it is sir" replies the cadet. Wood's voice, fuelled by Gin/Whisky or whatever, takes on severely aggressive tone "I'm telling you, it's Mrs Owens' iron, and if you break it. I'll wrap it round your f***ing neck". Wood stumbles off to find another drink leaving cadet trembling and wondering if he's made the right career choice.
John

Last edited by johnb42 : 30th September 2009 at 17:26. Reason: corrected Cromwell Street to Cromwell Road
Old 8th October 2009, 12:17

Just found this site, wasn't on the Wendorian but went to King Ted's 62/63 then into BP (British Engineer).
I recognise the names, Griffiths, Owens etc. I hated the place, full of kids who thought they were hard trying to run the place.
The Glen Strathalen was good though. I see a post mentioning it being scuttled off Portugal - how does that tie up with the fact that its triple expansion engine is in the British Science Museum?
We had to do one year's pre-sea but were only required to do the last term in residence. We also did not attend Reardon Smith but some school in Whitechapel/Stepney (I think).
I was from the East End so only did one term at Cromwell Road.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by verawoddip View Post
We had to do one year's pre-sea but were only required to do the last term in residence. We also did not attend Reardon Smith but some school in Whitechapel/Stepney (I think).
I was from the East End so only did one term at Cromwell Road.
The school was Smithy Street School in Whitechapel. From the residence we had to go right across London on the tube every day South Kensington to Whitechapel.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:14

Verawoddip,
There's a photo of Smithy Street here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/attach...8&d=1226779342
I walked past it a couple of years ago & it seems to have reverted to being a secondary school again.
Kind regards,
John.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:20

Thanks John, Smithy Street, that's the one.
It's all coming back to me now; trying to sail the whalers in the docks was a joke.
I remember Griffiths who was the Captain of the Glen. I liked him even though he smelt like an ashtray! Didn't he go on to master one of the disabled training ships in based in Southampton.
(My name's not Vera, really)
Old 8th October 2009, 19:35

Quote:
I remember Griffiths who was the Captain of the Glen. I liked him even though he smelt like an ashtray! Didn't he go on to master one of the disabled training ships in based in Southampton.
Captain Griffiths went on to become Master of the Malcolm Miller/Winston Churchill Sail Training Association vessels. A great sailor & a perfect gentleman with a very good sense of humour.
Kind regards,
John.
Old 10th October 2009, 08:51

Quote:
Thanks John, Smithy Street, that's the one.
It's all coming back to me now; trying to sail the whalers in the docks was a joke.
I think "boating" was a Thursday morning job in the West India Dock. One week, instead of boating we were taken aboard a ship to see cargo being worked. Afterwards we went to a dockers cafe for a cuppa, still remember the teaspoon on a chain at the counter and brylcreem jars with mustard in, on the tables. Oh yes, and Connie Francis playing on the jukebox.
Old 20th November 2009, 10:39

Quote:
I think Captain Griffiths told that story to all Cadets. he used it on us at dinner the first night aboard. It seemed to be icebreaker.

He and Capt. Miller took a group of us down the Thames in the whalers on a Bank Holiday weekend. We actually sailed them rather than the usual rowing in West India Dock and I was lucky to be driven back to the residence at Cromwell Road in Capt. Griffith's ancient Jag convertible. A most memorable weekend.

Any ex KEVII guy's remember the motor launch used for boatwork that was moored alongside the H.Q.S. Wellington?
Bob
I remember starting the miserable diesel engine on the launch; it had some type of manual starter. I cranked while Captain Griffiths supervised.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:35

My location
Wendorian 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wood View Post
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/images/smilies/appl.gif

Just found this web page and I'm thrilled to find out about the SY - Wendorian.
I was a cadet at K.E. V11 in 1951 and remember most of the captains (Principle Capt. Chase) Gulliver was the maintenance guy at Cromwell Rd boarding.
We trained on the Wendorian and the Magellan launch on the Thames.
I wondered if any cadets were still around - hopefully.
I would appreciate any news - I know I am a bit late but would love to hear from any cadets - Do send me an email of any news.
Thanks God Bless - Tom
I also was a cadet at King Edwards in 1951 and joined the Wendorian in Southampton to sail her back to London. Quite an eventful trip as it turned out, not only was she a day late due to gales in the channel on her way from the Channel Islands but after going to Ramsgate for the night we had to leave because of a forecast of more gales and that night was spent at sea the night of the Lynton and Lynmouth disaster. May I also add what a wonderful man Capt. Griffiths was!
Old 2nd November 2010, 21:21

Have just joined this outfit! I was at KEVII late 1951 and it is nostalgic to read the many names of Captains of Wendorian. Does anyone remember the name of the PE instructor, an ex RN chap who liked to pick smaller members to demonstrate on. Therewas amongst us a chap called Green who was an amateur champion who really floored him as he omitted to inform him that he had had some experience. And what was the name of the Bursar, he liked to demonstrate the straight and narrow by using the idea of spilt Brasso drying out and showing later. I went to Anglo Saxon Petroleum to do my apprenticeship. Glyn Howell, now retired 10 years.
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:33

K.e. V11 N.c. London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn Howell View Post
Have just joined this outfit! I was at KEVII late 1951 and it is nostalgic to read the many names of Captains of Wendorian. Does anyone remember the name of the PE instructor, an ex RN chap who liked to pick smaller members to demonstrate on. Therewas amongst us a chap called Green who was an amateur champion who really floored him as he omitted to inform him that he had had some experience. And what was the name of the Bursar, he liked to demonstrate the straight and narrow by using the idea of spilt Brasso drying out and showing later. I went to Anglo Saxon Petroleum to do my apprenticeship. Glyn Howell, now retired 10 years.
Hi Glyn,
Great to have a response especially from someone who may have been a class mate. I have tried to find others but they were later members of the college.
Some refere to a Mr. Wood (unknown to me) and NOT me. We had a guy called Gulliver (caretaker of Cromwell Rd.)
We had a P.I who taught boxing by the name of Etchin (spelling ?) -Said to be an ex-champion but not in my history research.
His job was to toughen us up but also caused medical problems (long story). Wendorian (Capt. Miller) and Capt. Chase and Ballard heads of college. Leckie and Somner the whalers and Magellan the launch.
Norris tables were found to be in error (do you remember).
I'm trying to monitor the good, bad, and ugly times for such a young group of enthusiasts who went thru' WW2.
I have a friend who writes about boxing champs but "Etchin" doesn't come to mind.
If you come across any memories - do keep in touch.
Kind regards Tom (ret'd industrial engineer)
Old 27th December 2010, 21:42

sy wendorian

I have 3 framed press photos of the sy wendorian dated 1947.
I believe she was broken up and sold for scrap, her engine was auntioned off at Aylsham.
Does anyone have anymore info?
Old 11th February 2011, 16:04
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

Have just spent a 'somewhat nostalgic' time reading about the Wendorian, Cromwell Road, Smithy Street and other facts associated with King Ted's. Was there in '57 before signing my parchment, with EDs of Liverpool, complete with my one and one half month's hard earned remission of sea time. Anyone reading this who remembers the murder of the Polish Countess, in Gloucester Road tube station, must have been a compatriot, so 'let's hear from you'!
Old 11th February 2011, 19:03
Active: 1960 - 2010

For Captain Chase please see the pic of his last day
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...london/cat/500
Hope the link works
Old 8th September 2011, 15:25
Active: 1954 - 1962

My location
I have just spent a very emorable half hour reading the items on here.Was at King Ted's 1954-5 and sailed 3 times on Wendorian,the last on a trip round to Brighton with Capt. Griffith's (& old Ted the cook.engineer!!!).Also spent many a day seamanship training rowing the whalers moored at the Discovery (remember climbing out along the midship boom and sliding down the rope).An interesting part of my life and one full of happy (but hard) memories.
Old 8th September 2011, 20:32
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

Wendorian

Hi Geoff,

How's this for coincidence? Have just read your 'input' on the Wendorian and then noticed when I posted my comments. Precisely one year ago, to the day! Who did you serve your time with and did you 'see it through' to Masters?

GTP
Old 9th September 2011, 11:02
Active: 1954 - 1962

My location
Hi Graham-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post
Hi Geoff,

How's this for coincidence? Have just read your 'input' on the Wendorian and then noticed when I posted my comments. Precisely one year ago, to the day! Who did you serve your time with and did you 'see it through' to Masters?

GTP
Only found this site by mistake whilst trying to find old haunts and info covering my 9 years at sea.
No,did not make Masters- or for that matter 2nd Mates and left the sea at the time I should take the cert.Good old days and gave me all the resilience needed for a long working life as I have just retired from full time work at the age of 73+.
Served as 3rd and for about 2 months as 2nd with Temple Steamship.
Am still finding my way around this system and feel that a lot is missing as it appears there is no immediate access to current postings.
I have photo of my intiial trip on the wendorian in 1954 but little else other than the excitement and hard labour of lifeboat drills and Capt Miller addressing us on deck at 7:00am all wrapped up in jerseys etc. and him in his flannel pyjamas!! Impressed we were.. Geoff