Piako - Ships Nostalgia
08:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Piako

Old 18th April 2005, 10:52

Piako

PIAKO built by A Stephen & son Glasgow and launched on 10th Oct 1961 completed early Jan 1962. 7,595grt she had a first for a Brithish built ship in that she had a high speed Velle Shipshape crane mounted forward of #2 hatch. Her maiden voyage was from Liverpool to Australian ports and she remained working UK to Aus/NZ untill she was sold. Her last voyage saw her leaving Timaru on 7th July 1978 for medi ports before proceeding on to Avonmouth (where she is seen here). She was then laid up at Liverpool on 28th Sept untill she was sold in early 79 to Blue Ocean Cia Greece and re-named REEFER QUEEN where she remained until sold to Chinese breakers in 1984.

Many thanks to FLYER for all the additional info.
photo courtesy P.W.Hobday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIAKO.JPG (68.9 KB, 186 views)
Old 18th April 2005, 11:13

My location
Wink

Always a pleasure Julian and a great photo as well.
Old 18th April 2005, 11:34

My location
Hi friends
here is PIAKO when she was built ,(old mag pic collection)
Gp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piako.JPG (85.0 KB, 157 views)
Old 18th April 2005, 21:36

Photographed in London.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piako.jpg (83.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 19th April 2005, 11:09

My location
She looks really good in those colours. The white band around the hull and the plimsoll marks, the attractive Federal funnel...........just doesn't compare with the colours applied in later life.
Old 24th May 2005, 23:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

My location
I sailed on the Piako from 27/01/69 till 6/03/70 (14 mth voyage on the MANZ run) as 1st Refrig, she set a first for the NZS as with her sister ship Somerset as the first reefer ships with Freon 12 refrigeration systems, a major leap from the old CO2 units. Also the first to have the refrigeration flat and evap room in the actual engine room, and !!! they were fully air conditioned with the air conditioning plant (including the large compressor in a compartment in or near the funnel. Another unique feature for NZS when she was built was that she had Mcgreggor hydraulic hatches fitted through-out including the tween decks.

Tom Haywood
Old 30th May 2005, 18:43

Piako bow view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Haywood
I sailed on the Piako from 27/01/69 till 6/03/70 (14 mth voyage on the MANZ run) as 1st Refrig, she set a first for the NZS as with her sister ship Somerset as the first reefer ships with Freon 12 refrigeration systems, a major leap from the old CO2 units. Also the first to have the refrigeration flat and evap room in the actual engine room, and !!! they were fully air conditioned with the air conditioning plant (including the large compressor in a compartment in or near the funnel. Another unique feature for NZS when she was built was that she had Mcgreggor hydraulic hatches fitted through-out including the tween decks.

Tom Haywood
Hi Tom,

I was chief sparks on this ship, my last, from June 1962 to July 1963, voyages 2 and 3 I believe. I tried to attach a photo, but it wouldn't let me, so look in the gallery to see it. I found it a very noisy ship. The Radio Room was at the base of the funnel next to the extractor fans. Off the Radio Room opened the gyro room, the radar room and in the workshop were at least 3 different motors powering bits of equipment. Fortunately, they rarely all ran at once, but when they did the noise gave us a headache!

Voyage 2 was straightforward - U.K. to Oz via Suez, Bermuda(!), the States and Canada, Oz and Tasmania, NZ and home via Panama Canal.

Voyage 3 somewhere different - Montevideo and Buenos Aires!

When I joined her I was told that this was a party ship with a reputation to keep up. We certainly tried - especially in the Aussie ports.

A full account of both voyages appears in my book "Sydney, Sapele & St. John", which I have written, printed and published myself.

Rusty

I've sent another shot of the "Piako", taken a few minutes later as we passed her bows. This proves the lads didn't leave any holidays in their paintwork. Little did I know at the time that this would be my next ship.

Rusty[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rusty : 17th August 2005 at 19:58. Reason: additional material
Old 31st May 2005, 05:19

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer682
She looks really good in those colours. The white band around the hull and the plimsoll marks, the attractive Federal funnel...........just doesn't compare with the colours applied in later life.
There is no comparison with her in Federal colours to the horrible P&O colour scheme to which so many of the company ships were subjected. Thank God they all disappeared elsewhere relatively quickly, talk about sore eyes and headaches from the colour scheme!!.
And same ship but different topic, it always amazed me the numbers of separate motors that different vessels had to power different bits of radio/radar equipment etc, and the noise that some of them generated with bad siting!!. Another blast from the past!!.
Old 31st May 2005, 08:37

At least she wasn/t given a PANDO name!
Old 31st May 2005, 12:07
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1953 - 1958

Greetings "Rusty": Nice to see you participating in this site! Kind regards,
Doug H
Old 31st May 2005, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfield
At least she wasn/t given a PANDO name!
Thats true, that really did compound the felony, both the colour scheme and a Pando name!!.
Old 31st May 2005, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug H
Greetings "Rusty": Nice to see you participating in this site! Kind regards,
Doug H
Thanks, Doug, nice to be welcomed.

Rusty
Old 30th June 2011, 11:41
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1965 - 1969

tom,did i read somewhere that you had the crew list from piako 1969-1970
Old 8th January 2012, 21:44
Active: 1972 - 1985

My first deep sea voyage was on m.v. Piako sailed from Liverpool on the 14 May 1973 to Australia and NZ and back to Southampton on the 27 Sept 73. as Assisitant Eng. Anyone else on this voyage?
Old 9th January 2012, 10:24

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianne View Post
tom,did i read somewhere that you had the crew list from piako 1969-1970
Hi Julianne, yes i do have a list and i will post in the gallery later tonight.

rgs
Old 11th October 2012, 22:30
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1968 - 1971

1966, early September I was cooks boy. 24 pounds a month but ciggies were only a shilling a packet. Royal Docks to Curacao, and then through the canal. Some idiot kept on at me to save the bread for the donkeys, I was only 16 but I wasn't that stupid. Someone else stole a bicycle through the canal, and then on to New Zealand. We went to Auckland, Lyttleton, Wellington and New Plymouth. Unloading the cargo of agricultural machinery took a long time and then the hold had to be lined with timber before loading cheese and lamb so on the coastal run we were allowed to take a half day off in every 3. On my first half day (starting at 3pm) I rode the bike for several hours to a hot spring spa, and when I got there it was closed. I don't know what it was called. After that I think I just joined the other catering crew in the bars.

On the return we had to go to Galveston, Texas, where girls were encountererd. Other crew that I remember were Chuck the stewards boy and one of the deck boys. There was also a guy called Shep and he lived in Newhaven near where I lived.
Some of my other memories of this my first trip was how friendly everyone was, even though I was on my first trip and had no money and I was really naive. In the Royal Docks we all went ashore and I got really drunk on 3 bottles of brown ale that the others had paid for. My first taste of Doctor Gordons medicine (still like that) and I still like girls

Last edited by Allan01273 : 11th October 2012 at 23:01. Reason: i used the wrong name for the spa