Matco Clyde - Ships Nostalgia
07:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Matco Clyde

Old 4th March 2010, 20:43

Matco Clyde

hello, worked on the Matco Clyde from 1986 to 90.It was a good job working from the Beryl Field.The crew didnt change much during this time, and wondered if anyone has any info as to how they are doing? i know dave sheriff is living in costa rica, Tom Pearce possibly on channel ferries.The others i dont know, but names i remember are Alex (bosun) , Jimmy Fethon, steve ounsworth, Dave Bentley(cook) , Colin Black (cook), all from Hull area, Stan Kane, Frankie Guile, Steve Blow, Mick Dowling, Keith?, Cliff Preston, Merv Buckingham, Keith ? Ian mcmillan (steward from Ayr), Dave Hiram (motorman) and Tony Banks. Dave Mitchell (bosun ) retired while there. Been a few years now, so apologies for any missing. Best regards.
Old 20th January 2012, 14:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 2000

Matco Clyde

Blast from the past and remember all the names.

You forgot mine though, there from the start and nearly made it to the end.

Clive Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by david best View Post
hello, worked on the Matco Clyde from 1986 to 90.It was a good job working from the Beryl Field.The crew didnt change much during this time, and wondered if anyone has any info as to how they are doing? i know dave sheriff is living in costa rica, Tom Pearce possibly on channel ferries.The others i dont know, but names i remember are Alex (bosun) , Jimmy Fethon, steve ounsworth, Dave Bentley(cook) , Colin Black (cook), all from Hull area, Stan Kane, Frankie Guile, Steve Blow, Mick Dowling, Keith?, Cliff Preston, Merv Buckingham, Keith ? Ian mcmillan (steward from Ayr), Dave Hiram (motorman) and Tony Banks. Dave Mitchell (bosun ) retired while there. Been a few years now, so apologies for any missing. Best regards.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:11
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Department: Navigation

My location
Mick Dowling is still at sea and sailing with my present mob; Foreland Shipping.
Not long to go until retirement though - a good bloke.

Jim
Old 20th January 2012, 16:22

My location
Hi James
Tommy Pearce is living in Grenada now on a yacht-he is currently sailing with my old company PG Tankers(poor bloke-lol) as chief mate,been there abt 3 yr now.Still a cracking lad and a pleasure to sail with.
Do ye know if Peter milnes (AB) is still with Foreland?
Old 20th January 2012, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_C View Post
Mick Dowling is still at sea and sailing with my present mob; Foreland Shipping.
Not long to go until retirement though - a good bloke.

Sailed with Mick for many years.

Thank you for your reply , nice to know he is still alive and kicking.

Give him my regards. Clive.
Old 20th January 2012, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhogg View Post
Hi James
Tommy Pearce is living in Grenada now on a yacht-he is currently sailing with my old company PG Tankers(poor bloke-lol) as chief mate,been there abt 3 yr now.Still a cracking lad and a pleasure to sail with.
Remember Tommy from the early days with Matco.

Quite a character one of many at the tiime

Clive
Old 20th January 2012, 19:28
Malim Sahib Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhogg View Post
Hi James
Kev,
Peter is still here - now one of the 'Baltic' boys, he's been on the Longstone for the past while.
Did you jack it in with PG? Who you sailing with these days?
A return to tankers is pretty much out of the question for me as both my DCE's had expired the last time I revalidated my ticket. Mind you, that is not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination!

Jim
Old 20th January 2012, 19:30
Malim Sahib Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive jones View Post
Sailed with Mick for many years.

Thank you for your reply , nice to know he is still alive and kicking.

Give him my regards. Clive.
Clive,
I most certainly will, and will see if I can lure him onto SN. As you know, he's got quite a seagoing history having started out as a boy seaman with the RN.

Jim
Old 20th January 2012, 21:00

Quote:
If it is Steve Blow from South Wales,a Cardiff supporter,up till the beginning of last year he was Crane Op with C-Mar. on board DSV.Kestrel
Old 20th January 2012, 21:58
Department: Deck
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
I sailed with a Dave Bentley in Uglands 1989/90, not a bad cook, all ways used to forget the gravy or yorkshire puds tho, or to mash the spuds. I think he came off the Matco Tankers.
Old 20th January 2012, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by john fraser View Post
If it is Steve Blow from South Wales,a Cardiff supporter,up till the beginning of last year he was Crane Op with C-Mar. on board DSV.Kestrel
Yes remember Steve Blow, sailed with him for years on the Matco Clyde. Full of mischief given the opportunity.
Had some good times together and lots of football banter when Cardiff played Norwich City.
Thank you for passing on this information, nice to find out where all the boys are now ten years on.
Clive
Old 20th January 2012, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
I sailed with a Dave Bentley in Uglands 1989/90, not a bad cook, all ways used to forget the gravy or yorkshire puds tho, or to mash the spuds. I think he came off the Matco Tankers.
Timo.

Yes I was with Dave Bentley, great guy but loved a drink at the time!
He forgot more than the Yorkshire's but had the charm to get away with it
Met his match with Captain P Kelly, one had to walk down the gangway and Dave went first.
A very likable rogue from Hull.
Think I then went cook, wonder if he is still sailing ?
Thank you for info.
Clive
Old 22nd January 2012, 09:54

My location
Hi James,
bobbing around North sea at the min-not for long I hope-still looking to get back on tankers but as ye know not a lot about at the min.good to hear from ye anyway
Old 23rd January 2012, 07:08
Active: 1963 - 2011

Jimmy Fethon ex.Bosun's now working on the Humber Pilot Launches. BRgds. Martin Cadman(ex. Master)
Old 23rd January 2012, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Jimmy Fethon ex.Bosun's now working on the Humber Pilot Launches. BRgds. Martin Cadman(ex. Master)
Thank you so much, I have only just found this site and have already tracked down quite a few of the original crew.
Were you the Master for a period ? name rings a bell from the distant past. Regards
Clive Jones ( Cook)
Old 24th January 2012, 05:32

Quote:
Thank you so much, I have only just found this site and have already tracked down quite a few of the original crew.
Were you the Master for a period ? name rings a bell from the distant past. Regards
Clive Jones ( Cook)
G'day Clive. Was on the Clyde back to back with PDK '95-'97. Likewise name rings a bell. Cheers. Martin.
Old 24th January 2012, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
G'day Clive. Was on the Clyde back to back with PDK '95-'97. Likewise name rings a bell. Cheers. Martin.
I left approx 1yr before the ship went ( 2001) came ashore and now work with children with emotional and behavour problems, running a home Nr Norwich.

Searching for some photos of the Clyde to show my wife and stumbled acrossed this site.
Sadly when you delve deeper one finds out more.

Luciano Fumis ( Lucky ) suddenly passed away 16th Nov 2009.

I am sure you would have remembered him, such an easy going and lovely guy.

Nice to hear from you again, I can now put a face to the name.
Did you stay with Exxon/Mobil ?
How did you cross paths with Jimmy Fethon again.

Kind regards Clive
Old 25th January 2012, 15:20

Gday Clive. I do indeed remember Lucky. A gentleman and a pleasure to work with. I'll let Jim know when I catch up with him again. I stayed with Exxon Mobil for about 18 months after the merger and that was enough for me. Took the pension and ran. Started Piloting and met up with Jim when he joined the Pilot launches.
As a note, another launch coxswain here's John Cassidy, also from Hull. His father was AB with Matco. Another gentlemen in the Lucky mould.
Best Regards. Martin.
Old 4th February 2012, 11:45

Some of us (Martin) are still working for the company and financing your pension!

Rgds JXB
Old 4th February 2012, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBURNS View Post
Some of us (Martin) are still working for the company and financing your pension!

Rgds JXB

Yes JXB but that's only 1 of my 3 pensions. As a Shareholder I do however salute you! Cheers MXC

Last edited by pilot : 4th February 2012 at 13:52.
Old 1st March 2012, 23:04

Hi Clive and all other past Clyde and Thames men, I remember most of you, I was there for 8 years, sailed with you Clive, nice to hear from you all. I have been retired now a while but still keep in touch with the past, all the very best to you all. Bill Marshall, little fat big nosed bald headed hairy chested geordie cook and chief stwd.
Old 10th April 2012, 23:52
Active: 1979 - Present

Smile Steve Ounsworth

Quote:

Hi dave, remember you well because you was my relief on the Clyde, hope you remember me steve(dog).r u still at sea,I am.
Old 11th April 2012, 00:05
Active: 1979 - Present

Quote:
Blast from the past and remember all the names.

You forgot mine though, there from the start and nearly made it to the end.

Clive Jones
Hi Clive, remember me, I bet you do, I remember you, I see your ashore now, I'm still at sea. Regards dog.
Old 11th April 2012, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by william.marshall439 View Post
Hi Clive and all other past Clyde and Thames men, I remember most of you, I was there for 8 years, sailed with you Clive, nice to hear from you all. I have been retired now a while but still keep in touch with the past, all the very best to you all. Bill Marshall, little fat big nosed bald headed hairy chested geordie cook and chief stwd.
Bill ( wow )
Only just seen your thread, remember you with fondness. We had some great times together and one of the best ever Chief Stwd I had the pleasure of sailing with.
Have tracked down a few of the other guys, sadly we have lost a few also.Came ashore after the Clyde went. Clive
Old 12th April 2012, 16:12

Clive, Nice to hear from you, hope your happy ashore and have a decent job, are you still catering. I stayed at sea until I was 59, finished up with PNTL for 13 years. I have been ashore now for 8 years, not doing so bad but still have an interest in the old times, remember nearly all the names mentioned, best regards to you Clive and your family. Bill