WATTS Watts - Greenwich. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

WATTS Watts - Greenwich.

Old 12th March 2009, 13:05

Hi Stores, just joined up and found your thread, I joined Watts late 67 as 5e/o standing by "Westminster Bridge". building at Port Glasgow, this was to be the last ship built for WW as they were taken over by Bibby Line before we sailed on maiden voyage15/3/68 I may have some pics in my collection, I will try to down load them when ive tracked them down, cheers
Old 12th March 2009, 16:10

Regarding MV Greenwich 1957 1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertwebster View Post
I was on the Greenwich from May 1957 to September 1958. Anybody out there who was on her at the same time?
I served on the greenwich during this period.If I remember correctly we were articaled for about 18 months and we loaded sugar in Cairns Western Australia for Tate and Lyle at Liverpool.
Your name does ring a bell despite it being 50 years ago.I finished my apprenticeship in Cairns and was prmoted to 4th mate.
Jeff Richens.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:55

Watts Watts and Co ltd

My name is Jeff Richens
I served my apprenticeshop with Watts Watts.My first ship was the SS Twickenham under the Command of Capt Dougy Martin sailing to West Africa.I joined the MV Greenwich at Avonmouth under the command of Capt Eric Pierce sailing to Cuba for sugar to Japan.Then to Australia.New Caledonia Japan New Calidonionia.Nauru Australia a few times before a cargo of wheat home.
I then joined the MV Wimbledon in Glasgow again under the command of Captain Dougy Martin for her maiden voyage to Miami,Mexico,USA,Japan and Canada.
I also served on the MV Windsor,Wokingham and Woodford before rejoining the MV Wimbledon under the command of Mo King.
It would be nice to chat to any body that remembers back to those good old days.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:16

I joined the Woodford in May 62 in Liverpool we went light ship to New York there we changed our Watts Watts funnel to Thai Lines done Philly, Lake Charles, Pasadena Texas, NewOrleans,across to Alexandria, though Suez Canal, Djakata, Singapore, Bangkok were we loaded a deck cargo of pigs for Hong Kong, across to Los Angeles ,through Panama Canal to NewYork funnel back to black ,Norfolk Virginia for tobacco for Avonmouth then Dry Dock Birkenhead. The best company and ship i was ever on and a round the world trip thrown in, could you ask for more.
Old 5th October 2009, 10:59

greenwich

hi albert my name is bill middleton iwas on the greenwich at the same voyage as you we joined in antwerp and paid off in hull
Old 29th April 2010, 17:20

maycrest/ chertsey sicily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Lowndes Jones View Post
Hello

My father Trevor (Courtney) Jones worked on board a Watts Watts ship for a number of years during the late 40s and in the 50s.

I have a number of pictures that he too whilst he was at sea and remember that one of them is of the Beckenham.

Unfortunately my father died a couple of weeks ago and I have only stumbled across this thread in the course of writing about his life.

Could I ask whether any of you remember him or worked with him?

Much appreciated.

Simon
Hi
I too sailed on the Chertsey to the Sicily invasion and on the Maycrest immediately afterwards Trevor Jones? was he in the catering and from Porth in Wales

?????????
Old 29th April 2010, 18:42
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

watts watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
My first two ships were WATTS WATTS the Chertsey1943.......invasion of SIcily.. and the Maycrest late 1943......... later sunk and used at Dunkirk as a block ship MULBERRy?
hi can u confirm the maycrest was managed by watts watts please , STORES
Old 29th April 2010, 18:47
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

watts watts

did any, one remember my father JIMMY WILDING, he was chief steward on ss fort augustus managed by watts watts have tried to get his MN history from public records office buy no luck , he sailed on other watts ships as well but i cant find out which ones , any help appreciated , STORES.
Old 22nd January 2012, 17:56

Hello Edward,
My grandfather was the chippy on the Willesden and i believe he was on the Australian trip around 1949;
do you have any recollections of him?
Regards
Chris Johnston
Old 22nd January 2012, 17:58

John, which ships were they?
Chris
Old 30th January 2012, 10:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1950 - 1956

buried at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Jenner View Post
I was on a Watts Watts ship; the SS Willesden. She was originally a wartime built empire boat. We went from Tilbury to Sydney in 1949 then to Japan and Vancouver and home via Panama. I think that they were a very good company. I have a photo of her taken in Sydney Harbour
Hi arthur,My father, James Johnston,signed on the WILLESDEN, as "chippy" at Tilbury 13.12.49. He unfortunately died days later and was buried at sea off nw France . Do you have any recollections of this happening?

cheers,Roger---
Old 4th February 2012, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stores View Post
hi i sailed on the wanstead, my brother on beaconsfield and woolwich, am writing a history of watts watts ships, would be grateful for any photos, cheers, stores.
Hello Stores, I dont know if this is for you but if you type in your search engine, SHIPS, TIPS AND OTHER THINGS AT BARRY DOCKS.
you will see a ship called the GREENWICH loading coal in no, 2 dock,
I belive her to be built in 1943 by, wm, doxford & sons ltd, sunderland
owner BRITAIN S.S. CO, Ld, managed by (watt, watt & co.)O.N. 169615.
Kind Regards, Gretaston.
Old 9th August 2012, 15:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1960

greenwich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richensj View Post
My name is Jeff Richens
I served my apprenticeshop with Watts Watts.My first ship was the SS Twickenham under the Command of Capt Dougy Martin sailing to West Africa.I joined the MV Greenwich at Avonmouth under the command of Capt Eric Pierce sailing to Cuba for sugar to Japan.Then to Australia.New Caledonia Japan New Calidonionia.Nauru Australia a few times before a cargo of wheat home.
I then joined the MV Wimbledon in Glasgow again under the command of Captain Dougy Martin for her maiden voyage to Miami,Mexico,USA,Japan and Canada.
I also served on the MV Windsor,Wokingham and Woodford before rejoining the MV Wimbledon under the command of Mo King.
It would be nice to chat to any body that remembers back to those good old days.
was on the greenwichdec 55 june 56, paid off in avonmouth end of june 56, it's next trip i remember was to japan. wonder if that was before your trip. we joined her in rotterdam for the states , aus,nz back to the states, canada and home. due to cate staff jumping ship was promoted to ass stew from deck boy, for the trip home. just as well because i was in debt to the ship when we left the nz coast. good times.
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:22

greenwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertwebster View Post
I was on the Greenwich from May 1957 to September 1958. Anybody out there who was on her at the same time?
HI ALBERT I WAS ON THE GREENWICH AS EDH FROM 10TH MAY1957 TO 4TH SEPT.1958 MY DISCHARGE BOOK WE JOINED IN ANTWERP AND PAID OFF IN HULL IF MY MEMORY IS CORRECT OUR LAST CARGO WAS FROM NARU IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PACIFIC.WAS THIS THE SHIP THAT THE FIRST MATE DIED AND WAS BURIED AT SEAMY E MAIL IS W.MIDDLETON13@NTLWOLD.COM
Old 15th April 2014, 09:30

Hello
My Dad was on the Twickenham in 1956 and the Wendover in 1957. He loves to talk about it. PM me if you would like to ask him anything.
His name is Peter Kearney.
Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:48

I joined the Beckenham as deck boy (first trip) on 27th August 1953. We sailed from South Shields for Igarka in Russia to load dressed timber. On the return journey we ran aground on Novaya Zembla, spent several days trying to get refloated then abandoned her in the middle of the night on October 11th. Spent the night on the beach and were picked up by the Russians the next day. We were taken to Archangel where we spent a week in a hotel. Then travelled home via Leningrad, Helsinki, Turku, Stockholm, Gothenburg and Tilbury. As far as I van remember she was a good ship with a cafeteria instead of the usual mess rooms. Quite an exciting trip for the first one. The other two deck boys, whose names I don't remember, were also first trippers.

Brian Rowlings.