My Line L+H - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
23:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

My Line L+H

Old 10th November 2007, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
Hi Bill,

I am afraid the only people in authority in the line that I knew of was :-

Captain Crebbin Marine Super
Captain Roberts ( Tab Nabs ) Deputy marine Super
Captain Dickson Cargo Superintendent

and good old John Sale in the Office at Bootle.

Chris.
Do you have any more details of Capt. Roberts, was it by any chance either John (from Southport area) or his brother, later of the DTI?
Old 11th November 2007, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bloomfield View Post
Do you have any more details of Capt. Roberts, was it by any chance either John (from Southport area) or his brother, later of the DTI?
I believe that the Captain Roberts I knew went on to become an BOT Examiner he also had a limp, if that is any help. His nickname in L+H was Tab Nabs from his time as a Cadet apparantly.

Chris.

Last edited by Santos : 11th November 2007 at 18:42.
Old 4th December 2007, 21:55

Great to read the reminiscences of the Ronsard, Raphael et al.My father was the first Bosn of the Ronsard from 1957 until 1964 when came ashore. He was also the first Bosn of the Delius when shew was new in 1937.At the time John Hughes was in the Rubens he was in the Rossetti on the west Indies to Canada run until the crew were brought home to the UK in the Hilary and I met him in Liverpool
They were great days and great people.I remember the Bosn of the Raphael,Freddy Page.again a friend of my father and a lovely man.

Jackc
Old 5th December 2007, 19:23

Yes, Mr Page became the shore Bosun in charge of the Shoregang. Nice chap.

Chris.
Old 6th December 2007, 15:27

Mr page was bosun in the raphael when I was in her, I believe he had a relation in the shore crew as well, Freddy was ok
Old 6th December 2007, 19:32

Anyone remember Bob Welsh he was Bosun on Raphael when I was on her.

Chris.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:56

I sailed with Cpt Roberts on the "Lassell" in 1958, he was then the Mate under Cpt Robson. I then joined the "Devis", he was then asst to Cpt Crebbin,
Marine Supt, so the Lassell must have been his last sea going trip. I didn't Know he was from Southport, as I am originally from there.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:53

With regard to the funnel on the "Romney" it was reputed that when she was built the stack was 40' tall but later reduced to about 30', the brass steam whistle was nearly 6' tall, I know because I used to clean it, sand & canvas first then brasso & norwegian steam!!
Old 30th August 2008, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by georged View Post
Hi Santos

That name brings back memories- Agree Raphael was really happy ship, I did four trips as third mate 1963-1964. Master was a Capt Legg, small chap who was very good, and tolerated young third mates who thought they knew it all!I left to go for mates ticket and then moved on to other ships in the company. I have a good photo of the Raphael entering Coruna outward bound in September 1963. From memory we loaded dried cod for Brazil.
We also used to carry quite a lot of cattle and occasionally horses outward bound for breeding in Brazil, which if we did not have a cattleman the cadets used to look after, for a few extra bob. How things have changed.
When I can get use of a scanner I will put in photo of Raphael.

Regards

Georged
Your mention of horses brings back memories of my trip on the Defoe in '64/'65 We built stalls on deck for the horses we picked up in BA, I think it was. Always thought that is was a strange cargo.
DDrennan
Old 3rd September 2008, 20:11

I too was on the Defoe in 1964 and remember them building the stalls on the after deck, great trip
rod(ginge)
Old 8th September 2008, 00:52

anyone out there remember S.S.Lalande? i was on her in 1958 we went to S. america a great run!!hit some bad weather a bit scary, she was an oldie
Old 4th December 2008, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael james View Post
Hi Santos,
Great looking ships and Here,Here to Zeldas` suggestion I for one would be most interested in knowing more about the ships, the company and your time there.
I used to have a photo of - I think it was the MV Romney taken in Liverpool around 1960-61. - as yet have not located it, she was one of the larger L.H. ships I think.MJ
All L+H Ships can be seen on the Blue Star website www.bluestarline.org

Regards

Bob Gibson
Old 27th May 2009, 15:21

just found this thread. Did one trip to B.A. @ Monty on Ronsard early '65 and did 2 trips on Raphael, one to B.A. the next to Brazzy coast in '75. Both were beatiful ships @ great to work on as A.B. John Dodd.
Old 27th May 2009, 16:41

L & H Romney

Hello Santos
I sailed on the Romney numerous times in the 1970s,as 3rd Engineer,
they were great days, nobody expected the bubble to burst when it did.
Most of the lads I sailed with were scousers, a good bunch, although I took photos of most of the countries in Latin America, my one regret is I took none of the Romney. I find this unforgivable as I've been interested in photography most of my life. Still, I've always got my memories.

regards

mike scott
Old 27th May 2009, 16:53

Hi Mike,

You are right, the Romney was a good looking ship, I never went deep sea on her, but used to have my lunch on her during the dock strike in 1966. I was a day duty officer on the Devis, during the strike and she was dead ship, so went to Romney for my lunch.

You are also right about the scouse crews, great seamen and great fun.

Kind regards

Chris
Old 1st June 2009, 12:56

anyone remember the pampass bull shore bosun or joe dazell from sixtys
Old 16th June 2011, 20:20

Yes I Remember Joe Dalzel He Was Bosun On The Raphael 1963 When I Sailed On Her A Right Popeye Character But An Ecellent Seaman Can Still Remember His Wizened Face And His Remarks To Us Younger Seaman <you Tell Me> If We Ventured An Opinion On Seamanship A Real Unforgetable Character A Nice Bloke None The Less. Reguards Kypros
Old 18th February 2012, 04:47

Great site this. Started as Junior Engineer on Rubens on that first nightmare run to Canada in 57, then over the years up till 64 on Raeburn(Colorado Star), Devis, Delius,Viajero, Raphael,Basil,Valiente,Dryden, Boniface.
A mixture of Booth and L+H boats.
Old 18th February 2012, 08:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
Although I never sailed with L+H your stories bring back many memories.
I was a cadet with Saint Line and spent over 2 years on St John in 63/65.
Our runs were identical except we ended up in London rather than Liverpool.
You mention cargoes such as Horns and Hooves, Salted Cod. How about the hides and corned beef.
Like L+H the Saint Line ships were always happy ships, I think it had a lot to do with the run and the fact that we spent ages in some great ports.

Thanks for the memories guys!
Old 18th February 2012, 12:36

I Sailed on the Raphael in the 50s Mr Page was the bosun I remember big Phil Roberts from Llagollen the B.A. ladies loved him, there was also an a. b. Mickie the Sheik his real name I cant remember him and I met two sisters who were promonading along the Quay with their auntie as chaperone, we were painting over the side as they walked past he had us a date quicker than greased lightning he could pull the birds like no one else I ever knew,does anyone remember the families who used to walk the docks together ?. Another thing about the Raphael was we had no radar that I can remember she was a happy ship tho we had a steward who beat up the apprentice ashore in Monte when the lad had had a few beers he didnt report him but the steward was told what to expect from us in B.A.he did the same to me when I was drunk lucky for me one of the officers I think the electrician stopped him putting the boot in and got me back aboard, the next morning I waited for him coming back aboard and gave him a bloody good hiding the outcome was I got the bullet back home they did say chief stewards ran the company still I had a few beers sent down from the bridge.
Old 20th February 2012, 00:00

Hi John. I'm sure you were the lecky on the Rubens when I joined her in London August 57 for my first sea voyage (and light ship to Montreal was bloody rough). Mylcreest was the skipper and the old Chief (Butcher was it?) broke his ankle clambering aboard in some port near Baltimore and I had to make him a crutch from a big deck broom. Poor old bloke didn't get relieved till Barbados or Trinidad.
Those were the trips we used to carry cattle from Montreal down to Puero Rico and even mountain lions for some zoos.
Can only really remember Dave Smedley from Liverpool another Junior.
Old 20th February 2012, 00:38

All you old Lamport and Holt guys might be interested in a book of the company's fleet and history.
You wouldn't believe I picked it up in a second hand book shop in Busselton Western Australia last year.
Its called, 'Lamport and Holt' by P.M.Heaton. Published by The starling Press, Risca, Newport, Gwent.
ISBN O 9507714 6 5 and it sold for 12 pounds in 1986 (I got it for A$15)
I noticed inside the cover it had belonged to some bloke L.W. Turner from Williams in W.A. whom I tried to contact without luck. He might have been ex L + H.
Old 21st February 2012, 03:07

Engineering Super (or Assisant) for Lamport's and Booth's in the 60's was Mr Clatworthy. Smashing bloke. Was Ken Clements foreman for their shore gang? Bloke with a limp full of good intentions but always seemed to get in everybody's way.

Last edited by Bob Hay : 22nd February 2012 at 00:33. Reason: corrections
Old 28th September 2013, 12:09

Gordon Lathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelo1954 View Post
A long-gone former schoolmate of mine, Gordon Lathan, from memory joined L&H in the 60s. Anyone remember him?

Cheers, Geoff
Hi
Yes I remember me! I may be long but I'm not gone. Please reveal
yourself! I was with L & H from 1964 to 1970 and thoroughly enjoyed it, meeting some great people
Regards
Gordon