Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships - Page 31 - Ships Nostalgia
03:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

Old 27th January 2012, 16:46

i was on the Stoltgrange ex Denbygrange in 71 as AB,runnng to Rio etc from Battonroguge,50% of crew was from the Hull pool ,rest Southamerican.a lot of trouble on,2ndcook and galley boy were shot in a bar in Recife by the Chilian capts tiger,they paid of the uk crew early on arr in texas city
Old 28th January 2012, 12:00

My location
Interesting tale, I was on the Stolt Tudor in the early 70s. See you are now with the Arklow shipping Co, do you ever sail into Glasson Dock near Lancaster? I live in that part of the country and occasionly see Arklow ships in the dock. Alan
Old 29th January 2012, 10:38

Hi Tim I hope your enjoying your retirement. Enjoy the site.

George
Old 30th January 2012, 20:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1975

catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan.jones View Post
i would love to know what became of derek harwood from clitheroe he was with me on the clerk maxwell he went afterto the joel macance
Hi there,
I have recieved your enquiry to my whereabouts and wish to inform you I am alive and kicking and very well, would be interesting to get in touch and talk about old times..hope all is well with you...kind regards Derek Harwood.
Old 4th February 2012, 11:40
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Pilotage

Just a quick message to inform all Forum users & Ex Houlder employees that John Maurice Houlder C.B.E. passed away on 02/02/2012 just 18 days short of his 95th birthday.

Britain's oldest registered pilot was to celebrate his 95th birthday on 20/02/2012, but grandee of Elstree Aerodrome John Houlder said he's still yet to reach retirement age.

After 55 years as manager of the airfield, he still works four days a week, travelling by tube from his home in Warwick Square, London, his work ranging from maintaining autopilot machines to drafting policy on noise reduction.

But his real love was taking to the skies in his trusty Aero Commander twin engine plane, Oscar Echo despite the disapproval of his wife, Rody.

He had his first flying lesson in 1938. "To get a licence in those days, you only had to fly for three hours," he said. "I had my first lesson in February and by June I was able to fly myself to the furthest end of Hungary, always following railway lines."

To this day, he remained a highly qualified pilot, with a valid instrument rating meaning he could fly in airspace used by commercial planes.

He proudly said he thinks he was the oldest pilot in the country to hold this rating, which is validated by the Civil Aviation Authority.

"I have to take a flying test every year with an examiner sitting beside me with a screen so I can only see the instrument panel, not out of the window," he said.

He grew up in Esher, Surrey, the third generation of the Houlder shipping dynasty. The local aerodrome, Brooklands, where he learned to fly, is throwing him a birthday party on Monday "When I was 16, my father sent me to work in a shipyard, then, after some time, he wanted me to work in the City. I was very bored, I saw an advertisement to learn how to fly."

He became an artillery gunner during the Second World War, and while serving in Crete he was hit in the arm by an Italian shell, fired by a bomber he had nicknamed Bardier Bill.

"It was very annoying because it was on my quay," he said. "My left arm still doesn't work."

He later became a Major in charge of the port of Tobruk in north Africa, overseeing thousands of port workers.

He continued his high-flying hobby at Elstree Aerodrome, formerly known as Aldenham Aerodrome, and was appointed to run it by owner Lord Aldenham in 1950, after most of the staff were jailed for their alleged part in stealing aeroplane parts from Stansted Airport. Although, according to Mr Houlder, the staff were acting in good faith that the parts belonged to their company.

"My business was shipping, but I soon discovered that managing an aerodrome was not very difficult and, by pure chance, I met Lord Aldenham in Ireland and came to an agreement with him which has served three generations of Lord Aldenhams.

"In 2006 he negotiated an extension of the agreement, which came into force in July 2006. It's an agreement which has served for 55 years with good will on both sides."

And, despite the dramatic start, the decades have passed with relative calm.

"I'm afraid at Elstree Aerodrome it's all just steady hard work." He refers to his latest problem of dealing with trees under protection orders.

He said the secret to keeping young is keeping busy something he takes somewhat to an extreme. "The trouble with being retired is there's no reason to get up in the morning," he said. "And it's a social life being at work. That's what keeps one young, I think."

Mr Houlder is visiting professor of naval architecture at Strathclyde University and the ship Orelia, currently sailing in the North Sea, which he designed, is proudly pictured in his office.

He has three sons who live in Moscow, Argentina and London and one daughter, who works at the Financial Times.

And what about the future of the airfield?

"One of my personal ambitions was to make it friendly to the neighbours," said Mr Houlder.

"My target is to make sure that no house is overflown for more than one hour in 24."

And this will be no mean feat with between 50,000 and 70,000 take-offs per annum.
Old 6th February 2012, 16:26

My location
Thank you for the information on John M. Houlder, found it very interesting. Alan.
Old 7th February 2012, 14:56

Hi All. Just re-found this site after being advised of the sad passing of John Houlder so thought I'd better participate before any more grey cells disappear!

Served with Houlder Bros from 1970 - 1974 as follows:

Joya McCance/Tanker - 2nd Mate 7.2.75-25.6.75
Brandon Priory - 3rd Mate 15.7.74-23.11.74
Sagamore - Cadet 25.4.74-13.6.74
Brandon Priory - Cadet 29.12.72-31.7.73
Tenbury - Cadet 4.8.72-10.11.72
Oswestry Grange - Cadet 28.6.71-23.11.71
Mabel Warwick - Cadet 12.9.70-25.3.71

Then disappeared of to Esso for 5 years, then HM Coastguard for 18 years, then back to sea with Gulf Offshore ending up as a Mate/DPO before coming ashore to work in maritime digital publishing.

The site certainly stirs some memories, I just wish I could:
  1. Remember Names
  2. Put faces to those names I think I remember
  3. Distinguish between the names of people I actually sailed with rather than just know the name!!

A few names that I do definitely know/remember are:
Mike Boland, Mick Clegg, Ray Clegg, Nobby Clark, Pete "Cheyenne" Saunders, Paddy Slevin, Bill Bennett, Alan Barnes, Pete Neischmidt (sorry about the spelling), Bob Stringer

There must be so many others!

Keith

Last edited by brixsmaid : 7th February 2012 at 16:46.
Old 8th February 2012, 20:13
Department: Deck

Dan I sailed with you on that trip as 3/M- recall we would BS during the 8-12 under a tropical moon? Stolt's South America service--40 grades south--clean tanks and molasses north. Capt.B.Ditchburn? Mate Jerry Lees and 2/M Peter Creber,Deck Eng.Jimmy Grey,Bosun Bill Watt.Pumpman Hank the Dutchman and a UK guy Arthur? (who sadly passed after pumproom steam injuries a few years later).
Recall the Recife scenario and crew mix--odd set up-- as recall you would say "things I do for England"
Always thought you had returned to NZ.
Old 10th February 2012, 02:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by handybilly7 View Post
Dan I sailed with you on that trip as 3/M- recall we would BS during the 8-12 under a tropical moon? Stolt's South America service--40 grades south--clean tanks and molasses north. Capt.B.Ditchburn? Mate Jerry Lees and 2/M Peter Creber,Deck Eng.Jimmy Grey,Bosun Bill Watt.Pumpman Hank the Dutchman and a UK guy Arthur? (who sadly passed after pumproom steam injuries a few years later).
Recall the Recife scenario and crew mix--odd set up-- as recall you would say "things I do for England"
Always thought you had returned to NZ.
the pumpman was jim pugh who died on one of the stolt tankers
Old 11th February 2012, 20:40

Derek Briggs - Chief Engineer

Hey guys!

I'm looking for a bit of info on my dad Derek John Briggs if possible,

I was a little lad when he was in the Merchant Navy, obviously I only saw him a few months of the year so I don't know too much about him. I wold like to know more, that, I guess... Is why I'm here! So any stories good bad or ugly would be appreciated!

I'm pretty sure he was Chief Engineer working for Holder Brothers & the Hadley Shipping company - he was born in the 30's, charismatic chap - Last I heard from him he remarried & moved to South America (somewhere near Equador)

I haven't spoken or heard anything from him in 16 years, (I'm not specifically trying to trace him) all I guess I'm after is a bit of understanding of what he was like...

Anything's appreciated Guys!

Thank you

Regards,

Marc
Old 14th February 2012, 23:42

sailed with your dad from 1972 [brandon priory] on various ships untill the lord kelvin 1985 afterwitch i was made redundent he was a very good C/E [and 2/E]whom i had a lot of respect for
Old 16th February 2012, 16:34
Department: Navigation
Active: 1953 - 1962

Re Houlder Bros.
Does anyone remember my late brother-in-law Capt Norman Oddy,(now deceased) or my brother Patrick Cafferty who sailed as Chief Engineer
on quite a few Houlder Bros ships. Norman was master on several of.
their Ore Carriers. He'd been with Houlders since he was an Apprentice.CaffJ
Old 16th February 2012, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffj View Post
Re Houlder Bros.
Does anyone remember my late brother-in-law Capt Norman Oddy,(now deceased) or my brother Patrick Cafferty who sailed as Chief Engineer
Yep, sailed with Captain Oddy on the Lynton Grange in '79. A lovely man respected by all on board. Good skipper. He loved the horse racing nights in the crew bar. Sorry to hear he has crossed the bar.

Last edited by Nick Batstone : 16th February 2012 at 19:26.
Old 16th February 2012, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek harwood View Post
Hi there,
I have recieved your enquiry to my whereabouts and wish to inform you I am alive and kicking and very well, would be interesting to get in touch and talk about old times..hope all is well with you...kind regards Derek Harwood.
great to hear from you derek ive been a service engineer for hotpoint for the last 40years due to retire in 3 months when ill be 66 send me a private message.
Old 16th February 2012, 23:02

Quote:
Re Houlder Bros.
Briefly sailed with Capt Oddy on the Dunster Grange from Rotterdam to Baie-Comeau. Remember tripping over him at night, when he was asleep on a matress at the side of the chart table during a long period of dense fog on the Grand Banks.
Sailed with Pat Caff on the Stolt Spur (with his wife - Josie?). Taught me how to hold the lifeboat engine starting handle so as to avoid a broken wrist if it kicked back. Pat paid off in Liverpool with a broken wrist and guess how he had done it ?(much to Josies' amusement).
He couldn't bring himself to tell me!

Mike
Old 17th February 2012, 03:29
Active: 1964 - 1978

Captain Oddy

Quote:
Re Houlder Bros.
I was a first-trip apprentice with Captain Oddy on the Orepton in the latter part of 1964. A good master.

Cheers.
Old 18th February 2012, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek harwood View Post
Hi there,
evan.jones@homecall.co.uknice to hear from you send me an email and ill give you my tel no it doesnt seem to work otherwise
Old 18th February 2012, 19:22

Quote:
Re Houlder Bros.
Yes I remember Capt Oddy,sailed with him on MV Dunster Grange 1981 and again on MV Abbey,flew out with him to Japan to join the Abbey and paid of with him in Japan after 5 month trip in 1984,I was the 2nd Enginner on the these voyages.I can still picture him smoking his pipe.
Old 18th February 2012, 22:57

My Sincere Condolonces toMr.J.M.Houlder's family.
Recalling a voyage to New Zealand in Condesa back in 1959 at the end of my Apprenticeship we were accompanied by a young man, Jamie Wiles, who was John Houlder's nephew and was going out to stay with his grandmother,Mrs. Houlder, John Houlder's mother, who lived in Picton at the head of Queen Charlotte Sound on the South Island.
As a "Thank You" for "looking after" Jamie on the outward passage the four Apprentices spent a very enjoyable holiday with Mrs. Houlder, sailing from Wellington to Picton and back on the inter-island ferry, much to the annoyance of First Mate Norman Oddy who lost out on a few days labour.
If memory serves me correctly the Master was Capt.Roy Faulkner and C/O was Vic Owen. Unfortunately after such a long time other names escape me.
Kind Regards
Angus Davidson
Old 20th February 2012, 15:04
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Yes I remember Capt. Norman Oddy well.......
From 1960 till 1964 I was a port agent for BISC(Ore)Ltd; in Middlesbrough and had the whole set of 'O' vessels plus Mabel Warwick & Joya McCance through the port on a regular basis..

Thereafter I moved to HQ in St.Helen's Place ( front of the Baltic) and was Asst.Distribution Manager till Nationalisation and relocation in 1970/71. I then became Ship Scheduling Controller to the,then, 72 tied Ore Carriers of British Steel...so if any of you got duff voyages to Murmansk during the winter instead of Monrovia or Nouadhibou...sorry it was my fault!"

In addition to the O Class & the two Grays of Hartlepool ore carriers the same 'family' i.e Furness Withy had Edenmore & Sagamore, as mentioned elsewhere.

As an operator I think that of the British owners of that time, mid 60's mid 70's Houlders were one of the best to deal with....almost hassle free.

cheers

geoff
Old 20th February 2012, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
Yes I remember Capt. Norman Oddy well.......
From 1960 till 1964 I was a port agent for BISC(Ore)Ltd; in Middlesbrough and had the whole set of 'O' vessels plus Mabel Warwick & Joya McCance through the port on a regular basis..

Thereafter I moved to HQ in St.Helen's Place ( front of the Baltic) and was Asst.Distribution Manager till Nationalisation and relocation in 1970/71. I then became Ship Scheduling Controller to the,then, 72 tied Ore Carriers of British Steel...so if any of you got duff voyages to Murmansk during the winter instead of Monrovia or Nouadhibou...sorry it was my fault!"

In addition to the O Class & the two Grays of Hartlepool ore carriers the same 'family' i.e Furness Withy had Edenmore & Sagamore, as mentioned elsewhere.

As an operator I think that of the British owners of that time, mid 60's mid 70's Houlders were one of the best to deal with....almost hassle free.

cheers

geoff
Hi Geoff.

I was lucky on the "Oremina" as I got a trip down to Vitoria in Brazil, which certainly made our day, rather than the Murmansk run most of the time. Now I know who to blame for all the rubbish runs

Regards
Old 20th February 2012, 16:44
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Hi Geoff.

I was lucky on the "Oremina" as I got a trip down to Vitoria in Brazil, which certainly made our day, rather than the Murmansk run most of the time. Now I know who to blame for all the rubbish runs

Regards
You were lucky to get a Vitoria run in what I seem to remember was 9200 tons summer deadweight as those Port Talbot sized ships cost as much to run marine dieselwise as the next series of 14000-18000 tonners......although we did once send the gtv Morar down there as we knew she was so slow she would be away for two months instead of the usual six weeks!

geoff
Old 21st February 2012, 00:12

Stories

Quote:
Re Houlder Bros.
Both Capt Oddy and Patrick Joseph Cafferty are legends from my childhood. My dad Freddy Ditty (now passed) sailed with both and I am still in contact with Chris Olsen who used to relieve your brother. I sailed with both your family members as a child on the Clydebridge , and Patrick's wife Josephine too. Somewhere in a drawer are photos.
Best wishes Jen
Old 21st February 2012, 22:37

Hi Mike (Merrymagpie )
Spoke to Patrick today he remembers you and the incident with the
lifeboat engine starting handle.
I've given him details of this web site so maybe he'll be in touch.
CaffJ
Old 21st February 2012, 22:40

Hello Jen,
Spoke to Patrick today. He remembers you. Sadly Josephine passed away quite
some years ago. Have given Patrick details of this web site so perhaps I'll be
in touch.
CaffJ. (Patrick's younger brother)