Titanic centenary - Ships Nostalgia
01:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Titanic centenary

Old 15th February 2012, 23:34

Titanic centenary

Hello,
With the 100th anniversary coming up of the Titanic disaster, I see from Amazon that we are about to deluged with books, some look good, some look like dross! Has anyone any recommendations as to what to buy and what to avoid?

Thanks,

Gen xx
Old 24th February 2012, 10:17

Alright, I'd like to add my own tuppence worth. I bought "On Board RMS Titanic" by George M.Behe. Its an excellent collection of transcripts of letters, postcards and other interviews with survivors. Sadly, since I bought it, its been removed from sale from lulu.com as its going to be reprinted with the more mainstream History Press later this year. You could find a cheap copy on Amazon Marketplace though, it's well worth it.
Old 24th February 2012, 19:57

My location
I think she sank in the end.

Sorry for the spoiler.
Old 24th February 2012, 21:27
Village idiot
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1997

My location
There is a three for two offer on Sluice Valves on E Bay.....
Old 25th February 2012, 10:37
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1974 - Present

I have just been directed by the MCA , following orders from the IMO, at the request of the USCG, to ensure that our ships do not litter the site of the wreck. I am not making that up and will happily email the original directive as a .pdf to anyone interested.

A friend in the MCA tells me that the instruction to issue this directive came from 10 Downing Street.

Glad to see that our regulators have such a well run fleet that they have time on their hands
Old 25th February 2012, 10:58

For one particular aspect of it, Peter Padfield on "The Titanic and the Californian" is a must.

Padfield identified the truth in about 1967. The MAIB confirmed it in 1992. As to the unfortunate Captain Stanley Lord of the Californian, the message (i.e. the things which his own watchkeeping officers had seen) simply did not get through to him.

Lord paid for that with outstanding dignity for the rest of his life. His son (Stanley jr) fought to clear Lord's name completely, but had to be satisfied with Padfield's truth as confirmed by MAIB, which was at least official confirmation of the personal integrity of Captain Lord. When the son died, the entire family estate was bequeated to Chester Cathedral.
Old 25th February 2012, 14:27
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1974 - Present

Second that!

It would be fair to say that Charles Lightoller paid, most unfairly, for his loyalty to White Star for the rest of his life as well...it was made clear to him that nobody associated with the loss would ever get a command, and he gave up the sea, except as a yachtsman.
Old 9th March 2012, 18:36

To resurrect this old thread, I have another book to recommend; "Titanic in Photographs." The text is excellent and full of minutiae that would make any Titanic fan weep! The pictures are good too; few are new but nearly all are in a clarity never seen before.

"Titanic and the Californian"....I've seen that on Amazon marketplace. Hopefully a new edition will come out soon, or even better a Kindle version!!!
Old 9th March 2012, 22:08
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac1720 View Post
There is a three for two offer on Sluice Valves on E Bay.....
is that the ones you left in the Car Park Down Mexico Way
Old 18th April 2012, 21:12

Meant to post this earlier but have been very ill in chemo lately.

My partner bought me two books to while away the time; "Last Log of the Titanic" by Captain David Brown, a fascinating approach to the sinking from a mariner's point of view and described the practicalities involved in the evacuation. The other one is "The Titanic - Everything Was Against Us" by Simon Angel, which forces a reassessment of many so-called 'tidy' facts surrounding the sinking; made me look at it in a new way anyway.

I may get "What really sank the Titanic" next. I've heard mixed messages about this one.
Old 18th April 2012, 22:13
King Ratt

My location
I have just completed reading "Tramps and Ladies", the second of three books published in 1959 and written by Sir James Bissett, Wartime Captain of Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth and retired Commodore of the Cunard White Star Line. This book covers his early years in steamers having commenced his seafaring career under sail. Bissett was appointed Second Officer of S.S.Carpathia on 10th February 1912 under Captain Arthur Rostron . Having arrived at the scene of the foundered Titanic, Carpathia picked up the first lifeboat from the stricken liner with 25 women and 10 children on board. The young officer, last to leave the lifeboat, was Joseph Boxhall, Fourth Officer. He informed Captain Rostron of what had happened. Carpathia continued to search and picked up some 703 survivors from the 16 wooden lifeboats and the 4 "Englehardt" collapsible craft. This was between the hours of 0415 to 0830. Also saved were Fifth Officer Harold Lowe and Third Officer Herbert Pitman along with Second Officer Charles Lightoller. The latter had gone down with the liner but surfaced and was picked up by No 12 boat. He took command and picked up 75 survivors in all and got alongside Carpathia with the lifeboat gunwhales just some 3 inches above the water.
Bissett got his information first hand from these ship's officers and there can be no more accurate records than those.
All in all a fascinating book by Sir James Bissett, I do not know if it is still available having been loaned to me by a good friend.
Old 18th April 2012, 22:52

I remember seeing that on the kobo web site. I think it was a free epub download. I'll have to get that next!
Old 19th April 2012, 00:39

Try "Titanic Lives"-Migrants and Millionaires,Conmen and Crew by Richard Davenport Hines.It is a new slant on the event,spending little time on the technical detail but examining how the design and conditions aboard the ship reflected the social conditions ashore.Describes the event through the personal experiences of a range of First,Second and Third Class Passengers. A bit turgid but a good read.