Rangatira - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rangatira

Old 25th March 2008, 10:19

If any one is interested; I recently found a couple of pages from her sea trials. (Basically a list of what they expected that the Master ticked off) Happy to scan them and post if you'd like to see.
Old 25th March 2008, 10:29

I have heard that while she was running on the Wellington to Lyttelton service they lost a man overboard. Anyone care to fill us in on that?

Also, I have plenty of publicity shots from her delivery to NZ which I'll scan and post if anyone wants to see them.
Old 25th March 2008, 10:48

My location
Neen are you sure it was the RANGATIRA that lost a passenger overboard as I don't recall ever hearing of this accident occuring on this vessel but have seen material relating to a man attempting to climb outboard from one deck to another on the WAHINE and falling overboard and lost. A lifebouy that was thrown overboard ended up washing up at the Chatham Island's with a section of it having broken away - the lifebouy is now part of the Museum of Wellington City & Sea's collection. It would be great to see some of your material posted on this site and I look forward to seeing it.
Regards
Emmanuel
Old 26th March 2008, 04:35

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen View Post
I have heard that while she was running on the Wellington to Lyttelton service they lost a man overboard. Anyone care to fill us in on that?
Hi Neen,

I served as 3'rd Mate in Rangatira from 22 Feb 1974 to 15 Sep 1976 and as 2nd Mate for the delivery voyage to the UK, 17 Sep 1976 to 30 Oct 1976, but I never heard of anyone being lost overboard.
Old 26th March 2008, 05:40

dom

one male passenger was lost overboard from the Wahine on an overnight run from Lyttelton to Wellinton,it was reported that he was trying to climb from one deck to another
Old 26th March 2008, 09:03

Ok. Thanks guys. (I was working off a c40 year old recollection from someone who would have been about 4 at the time!) All I had to go on was "Dad was late and really angry because they'd had to go about". And that years later one of the stewards had complained that he'd dropped two trays of drinks during the maneuver!
I shan't waste any more time investigating the wrong darned shipping file!
Old 26th March 2008, 09:47

Spec Sheet

Attached is a scan of the original spec sheet from the old girl.
And also two pages from her trials. (I find the Captains notes *most* amusing {the ship is fine - where's my ashtray?!})
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rangi_spec.jpg (87.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Rangi_trial1.jpg (79.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Rangi_trial2.jpg (67.2 KB, 58 views)
Old 25th April 2008, 05:56

Hya, did you know Noel Crawford, steward?
if so any idea whre he is?
Old 25th April 2008, 11:57

I have a picture taken of the Rangatira laid up at Napes before she went to the breakers. Not sure how to post a thumbnail on this forum so I will post on the gallery
Old 25th April 2008, 17:44

My location
I watched the launch of Rangatira from the South side of the Tyne with my father while I was on leave from Botswana in June 1971. It was one of the last things we did together as Dad died later that year, so I will always remember the name.
Old 6th May 2008, 23:21

Some delivery photos

Still rummaging through old photos...and came across these: I wondered what the heck ship it was at first...then I saw the funnel!

What was the logic behind such an odd looking funnel anyhow? Aside from making her instantly recognisable...even by me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCI03052008_00001.jpg (82.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg CCI03052008_00002.jpg (105.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg CCI03052008_00004.jpg (68.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg CCI03052008_00005.jpg (83.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg CCI03052008_00008.jpg (89.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 12th May 2008, 09:50

Neen,
First off thanks for sharing the photos.

About the funnel. The Rangatira was largley based on the plans of the Wahine II. I dare say they dug them out and made a few changes here and there. like the after superstructure. The bridge was brought forward, I think, to give a better view of the Focsle deck.

The funnel was redesigned to prevent dierct association with an ill fated predecessor. The Wahine funnel was perfectly good as a design which was based on the Ngakuta.
Those are my thoughts on what was behind it.
Old 12th June 2008, 16:13

Hi Neen: is that the Oriana in the second photo posted by you?
Old 12th June 2008, 16:17

Another thing: what happened to the model of the Rangatira that used to grace the Maritime Museum in Wellington?
Old 9th August 2008, 13:22

I was on the old Rangatira when it was taken out of mothballs when the old Maori went o/seas to get lengthened in 63 or 64.anybody else?She had the old straight bow and raking funnels. Ill try and post a photo.
Ray Lusty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rangatira.jpg (56.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 9th August 2008, 17:16

At least the accomodation was better than i had previously been used to in the navy. My 6 months in Stanley harbour running the reverse osmosis plant coulkd have been a lot worse.

Old 12th April 2009, 23:37

Rangatira

Glad I found this thread. I sailed down to Stanley on her in 82 and done a second stint on her in 83, when she became an accommodation ship.
Old 13th April 2009, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by igater View Post
I worked for three years on Rangatira after she left NZ to be a flotel in UK, at Loch Kishorn and Sullom Voe. I was on her up until she finished when was converted to a troop ship for the Falklands in 1982.
the rangatira was laid up for a year prior to requisition, after sullom voe. i joined her in falmouth to take her out of mothballs to get her ready for refit and sail her to the falklands. i do not recall anybody being on her when we joined her, that is not however to say there wasnt
Old 4th September 2009, 17:39

Cool On Board Rangatira (Rangatraz July 1982)

I am a bit late in finding this site, but having sailed from Ascension Island to the Falkland Islands in July 1982, I just had to post a piece about my recolections.

I was with elements of the RAF's Tactical Supply Wing (TSW) from RAF Stafford en-route to RAF Stanley to set up the Station following the surrender by the Argentine forces. Life on board was an eye opener. The MOD had increased the number of berths in the Cabins by what felt like 100%, so room was tight. There was a shortage of Tea Bags and Toilet Rolls. This was compounded by hoarding by the Troops! Great sport! We did weapon practice over the stern of the vessel and used our 'slugs' (sleeping bags) to keep warm in the wardroom during the evening Video screening sessions.... it was cold!

I tried several possible solutions to overcome sea sickness. The best was sticking plaster behind the ear!!

When we arrived at Stanley, I was glad to disembark and go up to the airfield and live in a tent with the other guys of TSW who had been down there during the conflict. It was very comfortable, kitted out with camp beds, arctic heaters and lighting. However, the British daily newspapers thought it was terrible that "Our Boys" were still having to live in Tents!! So, Maggie Thatcher issued a directive that all possible personnel were to leave the Tents and live aboard the 'Accommodation Ships'. Ugh...Back to the Rangatraz!! By this time the mysteries of the reverse osmosis plant were making themselves felt...it was stinking!! All of Port Stanley could smell her!

Due to the shallow waters in Stanley harbour, the Rangatira was unable to go alongside, so daily commuting from ship to shore was a perilous activity undertaken by Tug or Landing Craft. I remember one dark and cold night in particular when the snow was falling thick and fast - we were all covered and were freezing and we lost an RAF Fireman under the snow. He had fallen off to sleep in the blanket of snow!! It was a near thing getting back to Rangatira alive!! (Thanks to the SUN for stirring it all up). Nevertheless, the Rangatira was a lovely sight on the clear days, as she lay anchored out from the shore.

As part of the additional fitting out in the UK prior to her departure, she had been fitted with a helicopter landing deck on her stern. On several occasions I was able to 'cadge' a lift in an RN Wessex back to the Rangatraz, thus saving hours of waiting around for Airfield to Jetty to ship transport! Notwithstanding all the trials and tribulations of life with Rangatraz, I have the best of memories of that 6 month period spent in her presence! The pictures of her demise are very sad!
Old 16th September 2009, 12:42

Dear All

Would very much like to build a working model of RANGATIRA, a magnificent sight at sea. Can anyone with any drawing information especially the hull lines please contact me by private message
Cheers

David Peterson ex RAN

Last edited by K urgess : 16th September 2009 at 13:35. Reason: Email address removed as per site policy
Old 28th February 2012, 06:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 1980

Can't remember the amount of times I "ringbolted" on the Rangi down to Lyttelton. Great days and fond memories.
Old 28th February 2012, 06:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 1980

The last time I saw the Rangatira was at Kishorn in Skye 78-79. I was working on a small coaster and came round the corner and there was Ninian Central Platform with the Rangitira anchored not far off as an accomodation vessel. I was very surprised.
Old 18th April 2012, 00:55

what were you on there? i mean your position..i was AB at the time
Old 29th April 2012, 09:49

rangitira with two funnels

feel like I belong to a different time as I sailed on the rangitira
in 1965 she had two funnels and loaded cars using the derricks and cargo nets.rope slings, I was in a cabin of eight. the luxury of the new rangitira
must have been good , also worked on the hinemoa 1964-65 both great ships and great times. best wishes to all that sailed in both.
tony mullen.
Old 7th October 2012, 20:04
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1987

I lived aboard Rangatira as part of Naval Party 1242 Falkland Islands from September 82 to march 83. She spent all her time buoyed off in Stanley Inner harbour, but would periodically go out to refuel.
We would often play darts against the civilian crew in their mess, and get completely trashed.......!! Good memories of a proud ship.
Interestingly enough, when I left the navy, I went to NZ for 8 years and would often recall the huge painting of the Maori Chief (Rangatira) hanging in the stairwell, and spoke to several who remember her when she ran between Wellington & Lytteleton.