Gravesend sea school - Page 16 - Ships Nostalgia
10:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Gravesend sea school

Old 20th January 2012, 08:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fulcher View Post
Gravesend eh/ I was there in 1955, when it was in an ex-prison, as someone else remarked. There were some real hard cases there when I was, an innocent from Suffolk. Luckily, I teamed up with a bunch of super Scots lads.Got some photos somewhere. I was sent food parcels from home, which we shared out out. More like a Stalag than a training school. One instructor was named Kitchener, if I remember correctly after all these years, ex-RN. Left 21-10-55, joined SS "Cape Sable" lying at Charlton Buoys on 2-11-55, bound for Bombay as deckboy. Other deckboy was Dereck Hough from Kent, at least, that's how I remember him!
John Fulcher
You were there the year before me John but I would imagine it wouldn't have changed a deal in that time. I also remember Woodbridge well I spent nearly a year there during the 84/85 miners strike. I was one of four Notts miners sent down there to raise funds to keep the strike going and we had a good response in the whole of suffolk. Might have bumped into you at that time. Danny Rafferty
Old 20th January 2012, 19:50
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1974 - 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter lewis View Post
hi to you timo iwent to gravesend april to june 1975 like yourself good memories and many laughs apparently the old school is now a training school for police cadets....
h,i i was at gravesend May 19th to July25th great times loved those striped jackets regards Terry.
Old 20th January 2012, 20:08

one more wakey wakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TILLYROSIE View Post
I was there in May - July 75. Had some good laughs and met some really decent people.
Hi i was there 19th May-25th July in catering dept like you say had some good laughs, do you still have group photo, lost mine, best regards Terry.
Old 20th January 2012, 20:09

one more wakey wakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TILLYROSIE View Post
I was there in May - July 75. Had some good laughs and met some really decent people.
Hi i was there 19th May-25th July in catering dept like you say had some good laughs, do you still have group photo, lost mine, best regards Terry. 1975.
Old 20th January 2012, 20:21

wakey wakey rise and shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynard27 View Post
I was at Gravesend mid 1975 on catering course. Only chose that as it was shorter than the deck course! I'm impressed with everyone who can remember their class letters cos I certainly can't. I do remember some classmates though.....Stan Hunter from South Shields (sailed on RFA Green Rover), Martin Laming from Grays I think and Ian Ottaway from Wantage (he relieved me as catering boy at the end of my first, and only trip on Shell tanker MS Fusus). Anyone know of them?
Hi was there May-July 1975 in catering, can only rember wearing those convict jackets ( blue & white stripes ) BRILL TIMES THOU......
Old 20th January 2012, 20:29

one more wakey wakey.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs audi View Post
hi i was there in catering in 12th maytill 18th july 1975, i went back last week to have a look at the collage, i then walked from there into gravesend town, passing the industrial estates docks past the proanade and the pier. brouight back memories. if onlt we could turn back time.. rob.
hI Rob was there 19th May-25thJuly like you say great times
Old 29th January 2012, 03:12
Active: 1980 - 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1963 View Post
Timo,

I was in X class 8th September 1980 to 12th December 1980. As you would of been walking in the place, I was on the way out to the train station. I would of been one of those shouting the saying "Peanuts your never going home" which was part of the banter at the time. By the time they were cutting your hair off, I would be at home.

"One more wakey wakey. One more rise and shine. One more bowl of frosties and freedom will be mine" (sung to the tune of Rule Brittania)

The term "Peanut" I was told derived back in the early days of the the school when a peanut seller used to sell his wares along the road down to the sea school, shouting "Peanuts" for sale. The name was then adopted by the inmates.
I was J class 28 Jan 1980 for my sentance, we got out early due to the easter holidays and only did nine weeks.

Peanuts comes from the MN shoulder tabs, MN = Monkey nuts = peanuts
Old 30th January 2012, 00:24
Active: 1978 - Present

Hi Timmo i was in V class started dec79 dorm 11 had a good laugh, having dorm raids pillow fights, and not to forget all the wedging, good old days...
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:40

HMPS "Triton"

I hesitate to butt in on your fascinating stories of life at Gravesend Sea School, but can any of you hairy-assed old ex-trainees help with the following please.

Trying to get information on Her Majesty's Paddle Steamer (HMPS) "Triton", which (when I was a cadet at King Ted's London 1957/89) was berthed at top of West India Dock. I believe she was then being used as a training hulk platform for BoT EDH and/or Lifeboat 'tickets. On the internet I found a reference to her having been once used by Gravesend Sea School?

She was a rathre nice looking old vessel with a tall funnel and masts and several deck houses and was painted dark grey. I think she was built for the RN at Poplar in 1882.

Jim Martin
Old 12th February 2012, 10:15

hi all i was there july 1977
Old 18th February 2012, 16:44
Active: 1972 - 1976

hi all i was there november 72 to febuary 73,remember mighty mouse,fire fighting instructer was a guy called mcguiness i think,dentist at that time was an animal.locals hated peanuts,ive been told the police have the school now,
served on the BP tanker BRITISH PATROL, BA STAR twice,lpg tankers FARADAY and CAVENDISH,and the HARDWICKE GRANGE,

Last edited by HOOPERMAN : 18th February 2012 at 16:48.
Old 18th February 2012, 18:32

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jim martin View Post
I hesitate to butt in on your fascinating stories of life at Gravesend Sea School, but can any of you hairy-assed old ex-trainees help with the following please.

Trying to get information on Her Majesty's Paddle Steamer (HMPS) "Triton", which (when I was a cadet at King Ted's London 1957/89) was berthed at top of West India Dock. I believe she was then being used as a training hulk platform for BoT EDH and/or Lifeboat 'tickets. On the internet I found a reference to her having been once used by Gravesend Sea School?

She was a rathre nice looking old vessel with a tall funnel and masts and several deck houses and was painted dark grey. I think she was built for the RN at Poplar in 1882.

Jim Martin
Was interested to read your query Jim. Just surfing really as I was at the TOUGH school Vindicatrix in 1947.
I wonder if the ship you are querying was the one used for some of the training photographs in The Ships Captains Medical Guide, under directions of a Mate seaman were using the old wraparound stretcher which was standard equipment way back then. Think it was certainly in the docks there
Stuart
Old 19th February 2012, 14:24
Active: 1972 - 1976

is there anybody else around that was at the sea school on the deck from november 72 to febuary 73,
Old 1st March 2012, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle View Post
Penguin,'Peni Tremendi', the late great Mr Newbury, best friend of Mad Jack, Mr Jackson, who Magregor hatch wheels were named after 'Eccentric' . A survivor of many sinkings in WW2, a man who 'Flew the Flag' on rememberance Sunday. He used to line us up before 'Going ashore' & if anyone had navy blue socks on instead of the regulation black your shore leave was stopped & shore card taken away. Where would some of us be without the discipline these blokes forked out, free of charge & can you imagine todays youth putting up with it? Happy days, 'May their sole's be forever guided by fair winds & calm seas'
remember them all-jock beato z class july 78-nov 78
Old 1st March 2012, 01:39

was in z class remember steve stavely n nick hinds other names-victor nouch,kevin devlin,brian robbitt(scousers)
Old 13th March 2012, 01:11

David Brooks Here ,i Was At Gravesend Sea School Nov.28th 1960 To Jan 6th 1961. One Of 12 Bell Boys Trained For Queen Of Bermuda Which I Sailed On From Falmouth My 1st Trip Jan 11th , I Was 16, Came Back To Belfast Oct 6th. Anybody Has A Group Picture Of That Class ,would Be Great,for My Kids, Although I Dont Remember Ever Having Pics Taken. Thanks Dave
Old 13th March 2012, 11:22

Smile gravesend school

hi dave, i would say you were there when i was, i was there nov,60 to jan 1961, i have a photo on here taken at gravesend on the life on board--- i suggest you take a look you might be on it,i remember at the time there was a lot of mention of bell boys,and the queen of bermuda,hope this may help.
regards mike.
Old 13th March 2012, 12:46
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - Present

thoughts

I was there from Jan 74, I can remember having to row up river to that pub, no fun that time of year, fire training, I remember being kicked up the A**e by a mad sod with a big black beard and told to get closer to the fire, it was in a bunker by the river?, in my class there was a very tall american negro from Brooklyn and a lad who had just missed out on becoming the "Milky bar kid" as a kid, listening to "Port of Amsterdam" on the juke box in the flying angel is another memory that has stuck.
Old 22nd March 2012, 16:18
Active: 1965 - 1970

I was at Gravesend between Oct and Dec 1965 - The school is not a building for police cadets as previously stated (they do not have police cadets anymore), it is in fact the Metropolitan Police firearms training school.
Old 5th April 2012, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
Anyone out there go to Gravesend sea school? (the peanut factory!!!).I had some good laughs there, I was there December '80 till April '81, (X class). I belive the place has just about closed down now.
I left at the beginning of November, 1980. Did you have the pleasure of playing Bulldog, and Mr McGoran, ha ha. Row that 'kin boat you numb skulls ! Or words to that effect, lol.
Old 5th April 2012, 23:44
Active: 1965 - 1970

I remember Mr McGoran, Captain Adlams and 'embassy' Scott he collected embassy cigarette coupons and if you wanted to get on his good side you would pass them on to him. I also remember 'shore leave' in Gravesend and the 'grudge fights every Monday night. I cornered the market for coat hangers and superman comics, I made more money there than I did on my first trip to sea.
Old 6th April 2012, 02:24
Active: 1976 - Present

Seems to me all you Gravesend guys averaged a tour of duty of about 2 months pre-sea training. I attended T.S.Dolphin in Leith,Scotland from Aug-Dec '75(4 months),i've always wondered why the big difference in pre-sea training time...anyone know why?
Old 6th April 2012, 08:59
Active: 1980 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie burgess View Post
Seems to me all you Gravesend guys averaged a tour of duty of about 2 months pre-sea training. I attended T.S.Dolphin in Leith,Scotland from Aug-Dec '75(4 months),i've always wondered why the big difference in pre-sea training time...anyone know why?
If I remember right Stevie, us catering boys did 14 weeks the deck lads did 16. I was there in 81.

Kev
Old 6th April 2012, 14:00

Kev,

We did 10 weeks and Deck did 14 weeks when i was there november 80 to january 81.
mick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
If I remember right Stevie, us catering boys did 14 weeks the deck lads did 16. I was there in 81.

Kev
Old 6th April 2012, 20:08

Aye, 14 weeks for Deck & 10 for the Catering side in Nov76-Feb77

Last edited by Pat McCardle : 7th April 2012 at 11:22.