Does anyone recognise this ferry? - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Does anyone recognise this ferry?

Old 1st March 2012, 22:44

Fascinating and intriguing stuff Linwood. Thanks for that.
Old 1st March 2012, 23:21

My location
Very interesting, linstock.
The Hebrides certainly had all the necessary doors/hatches for closing down the ship in the event of nuclear fallout, making an airtight citadel similar to that used on warships. She also had a prewetting system around the upper deck for washing off any 'nasties'.
There were 'in/out' compartments (from/to the upper deck) via a washing area which kept sound the airtight integrity of the citadel, again, similar to warships.

regards, Donald
Old 2nd March 2012, 00:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

For what its worth - Oban and I am sure it is the Columba

I am 100% sure its not the Clansman - for starters it appears to be operational
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Keep the Government away from the excellent Oban Whiskey (Water of Life}

John.
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:28

Thanks Bob and Donald, it is a fascinating subject isn't it.

You can see read more about the PYTHON concept, including the use of HMY BRITANNIA and RFA ENGADINE as 'ships for PYTHON purposes', in an earlier thread (see link below). As you will realise when you scroll down the thread, newly released evidence has now reduced the number of PYTHON Groups from 5-8 to 4.

FT COCKCHAFER and the 1975 Dorset BW Detection Trials
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:27

My location
Thanks linstock. I had been following the other thread as well, until it tailed off.
Most interesting. 'The truth is out there', as the saying goes!

Donald
Old 3rd March 2012, 16:58

There was an interesting discussion on Stephen Fry's Q.I. last night about how they would contact the P.M. (Harold Macmillan) during the "Cold War" if he was out and about in a car. If the Russian's decided to start with the firework's and the P.M. needed to be contacted the people at No10 would have to contact the A.A. Radio Section who would then radio their Patrol Men to look out for the car and then stop it and pass the message to the PM to telephone the appropriate department. Apparently concern was expressed as to what would happen if the P.M. or those who were with did not have the 4p to make the telephone call and this was taken up (in writing) with the G.P.O. who replied (in writing) that the caller aka the PM can ask to reverse the charges.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
There was an interesting discussion on Stephen Fry's Q.I. last night about how they would contact the P.M. (Harold Macmillan) during the "Cold War" if he was out and about in a car. If the Russian's decided to start with the firework's and the P.M. needed to be contacted the people at No10 would have to contact the A.A. Radio Section who would then radio their Patrol Men to look out for the car and then stop it and pass the message to the PM to telephone the appropriate department. Apparently concern was expressed as to what would happen if the P.M. or those who were with did not have the 4p to make the telephone call and this was taken up (in writing) with the G.P.O. who replied (in writing) that the caller aka the PM can ask to reverse the charges.
Nice one Chadburn, I've attached the relevant declassified doc - (courtesy of Planning Armageddon: Britain, the United States and the Command of Western Nuclear Forces, 1945-1964)

Have a peek at the top left corner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prime Minister Emergency Communications.jpg (84.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 13th March 2012, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennings-at-sea View Post
My father took the picture in 1983, and I assumed it was somewhere on the west coast of Scotland. Unfortunately, the name is not legible. I would very much like to be able to put a name/location to the picture. Thank-you.
I hope the picture's there!
Definitely 'Columba'. Glad she's been preserved, many a happy time taking an excursion from Tobermory to Coll and Tiree and happily got my mother in law at the time violently seasick.
Old 21st August 2012, 18:53
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
West Coast of Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bloomfield View Post
I can vouch for how nice it can be around the west coast of Scotland as I am on a coaster employed in the log trade but I can also vouch for how wild it can get as well.
In another era ( 1960's) we cruised regularly around the West Coast on the railway ferry ' Duke of Lancaster' with passengers which we used to jokingly say - were kept in railway sidings at Crewe - because it was often the same people year on year! As a young officer on the bridge, it was my job to announce the sights over the Tannoy as prescribed by the pilot that we carried. The ' Paps of Jura ' , Ardnamurchan Point, and " Basking sharks on the starboard bow " all spring to mind! We visited all the usual tourist towns e.g. Oban, Tobermoray, Stornaway, Iona, etc and it was always popular. The only thing I remember about the pilot who was an ex Master from the Scottish ferries was that he liked a raw egg in a glass of milk in the morning! Sad really!

The beauty of the islands and the area remains with me.

P.S. I married a girl from the hairdressing salon, and we are in our 47th year of marriage. ( No jokes, please)
Old 21st August 2012, 19:02

Well found Linstock and thank's, I missed it when you first posted it.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel