Dominion Monarch - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
16:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Dominion Monarch

Old 5th April 2009, 17:08

I served on the Northern Star back in late '72 to '73, Xmas Cruise, 2 weeks, then arounbd the world trip with 3 cruises out os Sydney before sailing for home, The Ocean Monarch was our sister ship, out in Australia at the same time as we were back then, Remember hearing the Name Dominion Monarch and her alternative name 'Maniac', never got to see her myself though but on being offered the QE2 in late '73 I turned her down because of crew accomodation, prefering to ship out a galley/bakery crew on the Windsor Castle.. Seems some names do strike fear and loathing into ancient mariners.. Miss my time at sea now but then thats down to the gouvernment of the time scrapping the union and letting shipping companies hire on whom they pleased, cheap crews from the phiöipines, india, africa and china giving them bigger profit margins..Maggie Thatcher and her conservatives have an awfull lot to answer for.....
Old 5th April 2009, 17:22

Dominion Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyVK4CAT View Post
Does anyone remember the Dominion Monarch with her four Doxford engines and four screws? A dirty, smelly old girl down in the engine room. You only had to step into there to be covered in diesel oil, you just could not keep clean no matter what!!! But a good old workhorse all the same.
Hi Roy, found this link and thought you might find it interesting... Ship Ahoy!!

http://www.ssmaritime.com/dominionmonarch.htm
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:25

engineer

Hi my name is Adam and i'm in search of my grandfather who is unknown and believed to be an engineer on the DM, We got mentioned a possible name Ronald Simpson? who might have joined the crew from liverpool in 1948
My grandmother Rhoda Tamatea who is no longer with us, fell pregnant in wellington while working at a convent and would have been maybe 16 or 17. my mother was born on the 11/11/49. which means the DM must have been in wellington in march or late February 1949.

I know this might be a shot in the dark, but any information on names of engineers serving would be a big help to my search.

Thanks Adam
adam_maz84@hotmail.com

Last edited by sleeper67 : 23rd April 2009 at 13:28.
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:36

My location
Welcome aboard, Adam.
I've removed your email address because this is a partly public forum.
Please use the private message facility to contact other members.
A bit of a longshot after all these years but best of luck.
Enjoy the voyage.
Old 14th May 2009, 12:03

Hi, Great to be accepted.I was on the "Dominion Monarch from 4/1/40 until
27/12/42,Had some great times on board. Any other members there during this time ?
Old 14th May 2009, 13:20
doric doric is offline   SN Supporter
doric

Thumbs up Dominion Monarch

I sailed as an Electrical Engineer on Dominion Monarch for two voyages 1950/51, with Sir Henry Gordon as Captain.

She was known as the Demented Maniac, by the crew, not Dominion Maniac.

When in Dry dock in Singapore, the dockyard workers deserted her, and the Engineers not only did quick engine repairs, but also flooded the drydock, enabling her to escape the Japs.

The captain received a Knighthood for this, ( Henry Gordon ), and the chief Engineer Gibson, ( not Muir ) received the CBE.

I had no complaints with this vessel, food was excellent, and whilst Sir Henry liked the roaring forties route, she was always a good sea ship.

I had two great voyages on this vessel, the biggest motor ship at the time with four doxfords, and also the biggest refrigerated cargo space.

So lay off this great ship, you characters, she did a wonderful job during World War 11, also in peace time, as many of her passengers will tell you.

As some have said the smoke room had a terrific atmosphere with all the heraldic shields.

She was the pride of the Shaw Savill Fleet, and in my mind always will be.

Regards, Terence Williams.
Old 14th May 2009, 23:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
My father, with the rest of the 2nd Cheshire Regiment, sailed out to India in 1943 on the Dominion Monarch but they went around the Cape and stopped for a few days in Durban. He didn't have too much to say about the trip except that it was boring (the days were filled with training and drills, just like at boot camp) apart from the stopover at Durban.

He couldn't remember exactly where he disembarked in India. I suspect it would have been Bombay but, as the Regiment was intended to be part of the defence of Bengal/Calcutta from the Japanese troops then sweeping rapidly North and West through Burma, maybe it was somewhere on the Bay of Bengal.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:40

I was on the D.M. from 4/1/40 until 27/12/42. (Convoy collision,Singapore) etc .Anyone else.Interesting times
Old 6th August 2009, 09:21

After leaving Vindicatrix training ship in late 1961 I was detailed to go to KGV docks to Shaw Savill & Albion, then put on board the Dominion Monarch as a deck boy, being seamans' peggy for her last two trips to New Zealand, and Junior Ordinary Seaman on her final voyage through the Panama up the West Coast of the States and on to Seattle for the World State Fair in 1962. There she was to be a floating hotel before being sold for scrap. The Captain's name was, I think, Cap'n Fisher.
We had a grand reception going into Seattle Harbour, with fireboats spraying, bands playing on the wharf, thousands of people lining the wharf, and all us crew on stations, in the obligatory uniform, lined up on deck. When told to dismiss we all threw our hats over the side onto the wharf as souvenirs for the crowd. When onshore in Seattle, when people found out you were a crew member they took you into their hearts and homes and showed you around the area. We also had free entry into all the attractions at the Seattle World State Fair. Later we were transported by Greyhound Bus to Vancouver and put on a 4-prop aeroplane ("The Empress of Buenos Aires") to be flown back to England.
Rick Watson, New Zealand.

Last edited by Rick Watson : 6th August 2009 at 09:30. Reason: More info.
Old 11th December 2009, 20:10

My location
When i was apprentice on the Medic we had engine breakdown in the Indian Ocean,between Aden and Freemantle,The Freemantle tug had to go up the coast to a Norwegian tanker so our tug came from Adelaide, The DM came to have a look and to see if we needed supplies.This was 1959.
Old 3rd March 2011, 06:26

Dominion Monarch

Fascinating to read stories and impressions of the DM. I was an 8 year old passenger on her in December 1951, sailing from Sydney to Cape Town with my mother and younger brother. Don't know if it was really justified but she had a reputation as a bit of a roller. 3 memories stand out. Watching waves break over the rear deck in a heavy storm; a passsengers' tour of the ship led by one of the officers; lunch one day in the children's dining room. The older boys (like 12 year olds) decided they would spurn the other food and just keep going back for another plate of soup. We younger ones thought this was fun idea and did likewise. Can't imagine the chef was too amused by this run on his soup and neglect of the main course and dessert he had prepared.
Old 20th November 2011, 15:27
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1995

Hi Warwick, we possibly met on the D.M. as I joined her in London in May time 1959 and arrived back in the U.K. in the August. Wonderful trip for me as I had a chance to visit my relatives living in Mowbray St. Christchurch. Would you remember the ship making a sudden 360' turn in the Bay of Biscay to search for a dead body. I do!! Shhhhhhhh! less said the better.
regards
Colin
Old 20th November 2011, 15:37
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1995

Hello Jonnyingram. A few weeks ago I posted a thread on that very ship. The question I asked would any-one know what that casualties name was. So it was the Medic and I have a poor photo of her when we came up close. Last I saw of her she seemed to be rolling her guts out. I was told she had shed her prop, is that right?
What a small world
best regards
Colin
Old 20th November 2011, 17:16
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1963

I remember the Dominion Monarch Wow 4 Doxfords, would there have 4 engineers on a watch. I was on the Waiwera and she had 2 engines with 3 engineers a watch. I find that story about her escape from Singapore very strange. If your doing engine repairs especially in wartime surely you would be doing one engine at a time, not all four together.
Someone else mentioned about how you can`t get into the harbours any longer to look at ships. In the good old days on a Sunday there was always people coming around with cars and shouting up, Any Welsh aboard, or Scots, Irish or name a city and take a few of us away and show us around. It was a great way to get to see places that we otherwise would have never seen. This wasn`t just in NZ as it happened all over.
Old 20th November 2011, 17:37

My location
I believe this is the Dominion Monarch in K.G.v Dry Dock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dominion Monarch. KG.v c.1948.jpg (73.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 19th March 2012, 17:56

Memories of the D.M.

I did two trips on the D.M. from 18 sept. 1959 to 21 may 1960. She was a rough, tough ship but I enjoyed being on her and often wonder
about some of crew who were on her at that time. There were four lads Don Evans and three others who formed a group called the 'INITIALS'
and apparently did well in N.Z. when they left the ship. My cabin mate
John Daly became one of the top Hollywood film director/producers
producing PLATOON, THE TERMINATOR and several more and prior to this he was the boxing promoter who promoted the 'Rumble in the jungle' fight with Cassius Clay.
Old 19th March 2012, 18:51

My location
Here's An Unusual View Of Said Ship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg As it once was..jpg (292.0 KB, 71 views)
Old 12th April 2012, 09:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis29 View Post
I sailed as an engineer on the DM from 1950 to 1954. Great ship.

Jimmy.
Jim,

Perhaps you can tell me the total engineers on board the DM, and how many every watch.
Maybe you have some stories (events) about the 4 DOXFORD's?

Regards
Alfons
(Retired Chief Engineer, Dutch Merchant Navy)

http://users.telenet.be/doxford-matters
Old 13th April 2012, 09:03

My location
Some pictures of the Dominion Monarch during Dry-Docking at WILTON-FIJENOORD, Rotterdam, November 1954

On the background on the river the Dutch Passenger Liner “NIEUW AMSTERDAM”

Regards
Alfons
Old 13th April 2012, 09:15

My location
Some more info concerning the "QSMV DOMINION MONARCH"

A YouTube Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq2lntONUBw

Regards
Alfons
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine Dominion Monarch.jpg (161.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Dominion Monarch.jpg (73.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Report Dominion Monarch.jpg (48.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 13th April 2012, 09:45
Active: 1959 - 1963

Joshe, I wonder if they became Tony And The Initials. They were a group of young pommie lads who played in the Casa Fontana coffee bar in Wellington in the early sixties. One of them worked on the wharves as a tractor driver.
Old 13th April 2012, 13:47
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Start of a good Article on the DM in this months "Sea Breezes" to be continued next month.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 13th April 2012, 14:45

DM engines must have been too much for one company that two were built at Doxfords(MACKEMS) and the other two by Swans(GEORDIES).A quote from Voyagerxl's web link"The Doxford Diesels is what made the ship tick like clockwork"It should mean a Stop Watch
Old 14th April 2012, 12:25

My location
Arrangement of MACHINERY in "Q.S.M.V. DOMINION MONARCH"

Regards
Alfons
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arrangement of Machinery QSMS DOMINION MONARCH.jpg (365.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 14th April 2012, 13:20

My location
I remember seeing the D M in Lyttleton in early 1959. I was AB on the Port Vindex.. I think at that time their was some trouble involving some of the crew. I think they referred to after hours drinking as sly groggin. Now you cannot get into the docks to see the ships. Changed times.

Alex C.