External Hard-drive Problems - Ships Nostalgia
10:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

External Hard-drive Problems

Old 8th March 2012, 11:29
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1985

External Hard-drive Problems

I am experiencing problems with BOTH my PC's trying to get them to 'recognise' external hard-drives, is there a way to 'make' the PCs look for and get them to accept the EHDs ?
I originally had them connected OK and all was up and running 100+AI @ Lloyds but for some reason it all stopped, strangely on two different machines and applications. Another strange thing is they both will 'accept' the EHDs at certain times and then for no apparent reason they will 'lose' them and try as I might I cannot get them back again. In one EHD there is a light that is illuminated and a noise can be heard inside it, so power is getting to it but it still will not work, the other there is no light fitted.

I would be grateful if someone could help me out of this situation, it is driving me mad (mad-er I can hear people say )

Thanks, Jim
Old 8th March 2012, 12:27
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1975 - 1991

You don't say which OS you are using !

I have a feeling that your external drives could be f****d, you could try

uninstalling the drives

Go into device manager right click on the external and click uninstall once that has been done reboot your PC

The BIOS should recognise the external and reinstall it

Hope this helps
Old 8th March 2012, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleymerchant View Post
You don't say which OS you are using !

I have a feeling that your external drives could be f****d, you could try

uninstalling the drives

Go into device manager right click on the external and click uninstall once that has been done reboot your PC

The BIOS should recognise the external and reinstall it

Hope this helps
My systems are Windows XP and Vista.
What I cannot understand is that they will work on occasion and not on others .. Very strange ??
When I go to the device manager there is no external device registering to enable me to uninstall it. I ahve even thought or rebooting to factory state at least that might enable me to retrieve the photos etc., that are on the EHDs.

Jim
Old 8th March 2012, 13:32
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - Present

"In one EHD there is a light that is illuminated and a noise can be heard inside it, so power is getting to it but it still will not work'

On my last ship I had exactly the same problem with my EHD, after I pulled out the USB cable while it was still writing (Silly Me!!!). Had to wait until I got home to take it to a local computer shop where they informed me that I had "fried" it, cost 35 pounds for them to access it & transfer the files to another EHD, which I was happy to pay. As long as it was running they could access it but if it had to be opened in a "clean" room then it would have cost 500 pounds to recover the data.

I hope you are lucky enough to get it working again.

Tony
Old 8th March 2012, 16:46
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd View Post
My systems are Windows XP and Vista.
What I cannot understand is that they will work on occasion and not on others .. Very strange ??
When I go to the device manager there is no external device registering to enable me to uninstall it. I ahve even thought or rebooting to factory state at least that might enable me to retrieve the photos etc., that are on the EHDs.

Jim
I am spending hours on google trying to decide what external hard drive to buy have just about decided to go for a werstern digital elements 1TB ,AND then you come up with this!do I throw caution to the wind and buy one OR hold,I thought that they were a simple and easy way to store data.

jim
Old 8th March 2012, 17:51
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Is it possible that you have connected another device to your PC that has "usurped" your external HDD drive letter - this is very common on networks, if you go to control panel then disk management you may be able to see the drives, if so right click on the drive, select the "change drive letter and paths" option, click on change and then pick another letter - ones near the end of the alphabet are (usually) good. Note that if you are running programs from the drive or linking to the drive for macros etc you will need to change the paths in these too.

All this assumes you are running a variant of Windows.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 8th March 2012, 18:45

I am writing this just as one of my EHDs has been accepted by this PC. It is not listed as 'device with removable storage' but rather as 'Hard disc drives' ?
I am afraid to do anything in case I lose it again.
Now that it is connected again is there anything I can do to safeguard against losing it again ?

Jim
Old 8th March 2012, 19:23
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd View Post
I am writing this just as one of my EHDs has been accepted by this PC. It is not listed as 'device with removable storage' but rather as 'Hard disc drives' ?
I am afraid to do anything in case I lose it again.
Now that it is connected again is there anything I can do to safeguard against losing it again ?

Jim
As above - control panel>disk management and assign a new drive letter to it and use a different one for the other drive.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 9th March 2012, 11:03

No sooner had I written my last post than the EHD was 'LOST' yet again.
It is seriously looking like it will be 'DEEP SIXED' any time soon. I am at a loss of what, if anything, I can do---I have tried all kinds of sites/links on 'repairing a corrupt/unobtainable external hard-drive' and they all begin that I have to click on the 'device' in the computer section, unfortunately the device does not show in that location -- if it did I would be able to use the EHD. The real problem would appear getting my PCs to recognise that there is indeed a EHD connected......GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrr & Arghhhh........................................

Jim
Old 9th March 2012, 23:30

Jim, have you tried using a different USB cable? Sometimes this intermittent problem is caused by a faulty cable or connection rather than by something more complex. Also, it's worth moving the connection to a different USB port to rule out a problem there. Just a thought...

Regards
Doug
Old 10th March 2012, 01:42
Organisation: Other Navies
Active: 1970 - 1976

Possibly software/driver issue too? All latest updates? Are you going directly to a computer USB port or through a USB hub? Sometimes devices don't like to go through hubs. Also, sometimes all USB ports on the 'puter are not equal, some are high speed, some are not.
Old 10th March 2012, 01:52

Had the same problem. Removed an EHD the wrong way and afterwards couldn't see the drive in either device manager or even the bios.
Someone gave me a programme called Recover Deleted Files v 3 which is on a bootable disc and boots into low level DOS.
It found the drive and started recovering the data bit by bit which took 3 days for a 500 gig disk but it recovered every byte of info and also fixed the MBR leaving the drive as good as new.
It's a slow process but it depends on how much you value your data.
Old 10th March 2012, 15:51

Firstly let me Thank Everyone for their input.
I have tried all USB ports available and am using a Male/Male connector to connect the EHD directly to the PC, the EHD 'light up and there is a continued clicking sound coming from it but still NO JOY I.m afraid.
LTS, Would you have a name for the programme you mentioned ? I will try anything right now.

Regards Jim.
Old 10th March 2012, 16:05

My location
Another route to follow...........

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

i hope it helps.
Old 11th March 2012, 18:05

UPDATE:
I have managed to get one of my systems to accept one EHD but am still puzzling with the other.
The one that is working, and incidentally the more important of the two as it has a lot more info on it, is on the Windows XP , unfortunately the other on Vista is useless.(an almost empty 500Gb )
I have no idea why it suddenly became 'active' again - something along the lines of 'Sod's'or 'Murphy's' Law seems to fit the bill.
PS. the one from the Vista PC doesn't work in the Windows XP either ......

Regards Jim.

Last edited by todd : 12th March 2012 at 09:30.
Old 11th March 2012, 19:57
Active: 1958 - 1972

I have hard drive problems to, I slipped on ours and bruised my knee, he he
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:57

I have come across the following which might explain and help to correct any problems that you may have with EHDs.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...ndows-and-mac/

Hope it will be of some assistance,

Jim
Old 26th March 2012, 17:57

SOLUTION....well my solution at least.
I bought a new external caddy (€2.69)for the EHD and installed it again.... Would you believe it all was 100% again...there must have been a 'malfunction' in the electronic gizmoes in the connection to the USB in the original fitting. Maybe due to my removing the EHD without 'permission' from my PC.
A word of advice, if you are going to try this remedy make sure you order the correct fitting ie: SATA or IDE. They do the same job but the connections are different.

Jim.

PS: A lesson learnt, 'ALWAYS MAKE SURE IT IS SAFE TO REMOVE DEVICE' before removing the USB Device.

Last edited by todd : 27th March 2012 at 11:48.
Old 11th July 2013, 20:17

I remember when an 8GB flash drive or a 128GB external HD were the 'bee's knees' then earlier today I came across this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...tag=TRE15bf2df

The mind boggles

Jim

Last edited by todd : 11th July 2013 at 20:24.
Old 10th October 2013, 15:59

Well the un-explainable has happened ? ? ? for no apparent reason most of my files on an external hard drive has been 'lost'. The main folders etc., are still there but any item/photo etc., added after 2009 have 'disappeared' and I have no idea what happened.
I read somewhere that in an event like this the missing files are still in the EHD, if this is correct is there any way I can 'retrieve and recover' them ?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10th October 2013, 17:31
Department: Navigation

I don't have the skills to diagnose and retrieve your files, sorry, but if you want to work at it, rule number one is not to write to the drive, as this may overwrite anything left in there.
Old 10th October 2013, 19:20

Jim,
Try this, it worked for me when my EHD did the same as yours.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Regards,
Pat
Old 10th October 2013, 19:22

Try this "Recuva" freeware, I have used it myself and it saved my life.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filere...uva-review.htm

It's by Piriform and their ccleaner software is amazing at speeding up clogged up machines and keeping them so.

http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?.../recuva/builds

I swear by them.
Old 11th October 2013, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Jim,
Try this, it worked for me when my EHD did the same as yours.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Regards,
Pat
Cheers Pat, muchos gracias and Ta mate, I finally got it to work using the link you gave. I downloaded the free 'piriform-recuva' program and after a couple of tries using it the way they suggested, unsuccessfully I must add--my lack of knowledge I believe--I tried another way which worked out 100+A1@Lloyds.
What I did was click on the EHD that I was trying to recover and then Right clicked on it and got the attached thumbprint --- clicked on 'scan deleted for deleted files' it then put me through to 'piriform' and away I went................yippee 20,000 odd files recovered.

HOWEVER......it also restored ALL files from the year Dot. whether willfully deleted or not, and I now have a task of editing them allover again.
I did take the precaution of putting the recovered files on another EHD so once I have picked out the ones I want to keep and have restored them to the original EHD I will re-format the EHD and all will be as it was before the mishap (I still have no idea what caused the erasure of some of the files and not others ? ? ?)

Cheers Pat & Thanks Very Much for the assistance and advice.

Jim.

PS: I have a busy day or two editing the recovered files...at least it should keep me out of mischief for a while.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (1).png (11.1 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by todd : 11th October 2013 at 23:50.
Old 28th October 2013, 14:24

Todd,

Have you considered cloud storage?