C - Class differences - Ships Nostalgia
02:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

C - Class differences

Old 5th July 2009, 23:48

C - Class differences

Cretic, Carnatic , Cedric ,Canopic,Cymric, all more or less identical,
how were they externally differant, what detales identified each ship apart from its name,
As I am planning a model and would like to build the right ship.
Old 6th July 2009, 09:17

Hi fellow ex-cadet.
I was only on Coptic, Illyric and Athenic ( relieved in London on DM ) so cannot give any direct experience. I am trying to build Coptic and have collected several photographs but miss most of the detail from the open decks. NMM Greenwich have no plans. I have found photos on ebay and have also purchased from a professional photographer in NZ. Let me know if you want details. Are you in touch with the Shaw Savill Society ? Do any of the C appear in the Snowbow films ? I put the only on-board picture that I have of Cymric on this site. I have put my Coptic pictures into the hands of a professional model maker, who will use these to prepare plans for me.
all the best
John
PS Were you at a sea school before joining Shaw Savill ?
Old 6th July 2009, 19:33
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

excadet

Richard P. De Kerbrech in his book The Shaw Savill Line states that Canopic being one of the last of the C class to be built(1954) has "just a hint of streamlining". Canopic and Carnatic(1957) were the last two completed. I think there is a discussion somewhere in Gallery about the differences within the class. I would suggest that you take the time to search Gallery for pictures of all five and read the comments beneath. That may take a while however!!
Old 6th July 2009, 22:05

I'd better start rumaging , and fish out the book,
From asking the Shaw Savill Society, I believe they may have a plan of one of the 1928 ish built sisters of which coptic was one.

Ben
Old 8th July 2009, 16:05

Ben

thanks for the suggestion . I have posted a very slightly different view of Cymric

John
Old 10th July 2009, 08:02

My location
I sailed in Carnatic, Drina(Cretic),Durango (Cymric) and stood by Cedric, I cant remember any significant external differences, internally I seem to think there was some difference in accommodation layout/designation. I think Carnatic had more refridgerated lockers in the tween decks than her older sisters? did they all have deep tanks in 6LH? im not sure??
Rgds
Saintfield
Old 10th July 2009, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by excadet View Post
Cretic, Carnatic , Cedric ,Canopic,Cymric, all more or less identical,
how were they externally differant, what detales identified each ship apart from its name,
As I am planning a model and would like to build the right ship.

I can't say the following are the only differences but perhaps the most visual differences...

Look at the forward end of the saloon deck with the plated in bulwarks. The last pair of ships differs very slightly from the first pair in the style of the openings above the bulwark. As Richard de Kerbrech describes it... 'streamlining'.

Likewise, the I class each had differences in this area... in addition to differences to main deck bulwarks, masting, number of boats, anchors etc.

The Cs and Is I consider to be some of the most attractive cargo ships ever built. Simple, sturdy lines. No nonsense and very handsome. The only thing that the design couldn't handle was poor paint schemes. They definitely needed the white hull stripe and looked best in the early Savill's livery with all buff masts. The Furness all grey livery on the Is was dreadful.

Carnatic as Darro in Royal Mail livery looked great, but Drina didn't because she lost the white hull stripe. I think the worst combination was Desado with all grey hull and upperwwork with a Royal Mail funnel.

I wonder who put forward sugestions to alter company paint schems? An accountant trying to save a few dollars or some disgruntled Chief Officer who thought he could save some of his time but not having to make up a paint list every month! I've always felt that paint is paint and the only extra cost is for the time involved in cutting in different ccolours. At the end of the day it probably made zero differeence to the 'bottom line'.

Stephen
Old 8th August 2009, 14:46

My location
Ceramic

Another C Ship was the Ceramic. I did a voyage on her on 20th June - 11th Sept, 1967 as Veg Cook, I had a great time on her, the few things that I remember is, the Rum issue ( don't drink spirits so I exchanged mine for cans of beer ). I was the crews barber, and cut the hair to supplement my beer issue. Take care........ Terry Willcox.
Old 8th August 2009, 17:13
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

Hi Terry
Regret Ceramic was not one of the C class mentioned in this thread. Shaw Savill C class has always been regarded as Cretic, Carnatic, Cedric, Canopic, Cymric - all sisters.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:02

I seem to remember that Ceramic and her sisters were know as " The Bic IC's "
Old 10th August 2009, 15:00

My location
Also the big IC's where steam ships and had another three ships along same lines,Persic, Suvic, Runic, these three had no passenger accommodation built along same lines.

GWB
Old 29th March 2012, 16:41
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1973

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
Also the big IC's where steam ships and had another three ships along same lines,Persic, Suvic, Runic, these three had no passenger accommodation built along same lines.

GWB
You may wish to revise that quote when the British and Irish Lions wipe you next year ..... yes in your own backyard!