J P Webb - Ships Nostalgia
22:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

J P Webb

Old 28th April 2005, 12:35

J P Webb

Does anyone by any chance have a pic or details of a hopper barge JP WEBB built in 1954 by Ferguson/s at Port Glasgow for Melbourne Harbour Commissioners.
She replaced another of the same name built also by Ferguson/s in 1951 but which was wrecked a few months later shortly after taking up her career.
I believe the 1954 WEBB is now an artificial diving reef.
Better still,anyone have a shot of the first one?
Old 28th April 2005, 19:57

J.P. Webb

Hi Fairfield

I have found out the following, hope it helps. I cannot however find a photo of either ship anywhere.

J.P.WEBB S ss hopper barge, 967 g, 300 n, ON196732, 207' x 36'1', B.1954 Ferguson Bros (P.GL.) Ltd, Pt. Glasgow, 3X mach aft. Melbourne Harbour trust. Dismantled and abandoned in shallow water off Pt.Lillias, Corio Bay, 1981.

JP Webb -1951
The 983-tonne steam-driven hopper barge, JP Webb was lost en route from England to Melbourne. The 983-tonne barge had been built in Glasgow for the Melbourne Harbour Trust and was designed for dredging work in Port Phillip Bay, Victoria. The ill-fated vessel was launched in April 1951, only to run aground four months later on what is now known as Webb Reef. It lies 1.6 km west of Ledge point at a depth of 3-6 metres. The main features of the wreck are the boiler and a large triple expansion steam engine. The boiler is clearly visible from the surface, lying about one metre below the water. The site has been extensively salvaged but remains an attractive and easily accessible wreck dive in good conditions.

Hope the info is of use.

Santos.
Old 28th April 2005, 20:17

Yes it is,thanks indeed.I had the basics albeit wrong.I had the 1951 ship abandoned in 1981 and only when I did some more research realised there had been two.Quite a shame about the first one/s loss.
Old 28th April 2005, 20:35

J.P. Webb

Hi Fairfield,

Yes, tragic really, brand new ship, travels halfway around the world only to be wrecked just before she got to her new home. A sad loss.

Santos.
Old 27th October 2005, 10:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy,

Sorry no picture, but here her details;

SHIP INFORMATION (Main Details)

Ship name J. P. WEBB LR/IMO No.5166885
Ship type HOPPER Ship Updated 2003.12.17
Ship Status Continued Existence In Doubt Date of Build 1954.11

Tonnages (not 69 conv.)
Gross 967
Official No.196732 Net 300
Sat. Com. Id. DWT1204
Ans. Back Code Dimensions (metres)
Flag Australia Draught 4.534m
PortMelbourne,Vic. Length (Overall) 63.1m
Reg. Owner Ship's Existence In Doubt Length (BP) 59.44m
Ship Manager Unknown
Builder Ferguson Bros. (Port Glasgow) Ltd.-Port Glasgow Breadth
(ext.) 11m
Yard No.408 Breadth (mld.) 10.98m
Class Lloyd's Register of Shipping (disclassed) Depth (mld.)5.19m

Propulsion Steam Recip(s), Direct Drive Screws Single-Screw
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 28th October 2005, 14:52

Many thanks for that.Much appreciated.
Old 9th July 2006, 14:16

My location
Photo of JP Webb on my photo gallery . Not the best photo I'm afraid as I was actually taking the tug in front of the Webb.
My dad taught me to flash an oil fired boiler on the Webb when I was 14. I later was on her as Engineer. A very comfortable old girl. Not sure where she is now.
Old 23rd July 2007, 05:05

Engine of JP Web is on display in steam section at Geelong show grounds.
Old 22nd July 2008, 06:30

Hopper Barge J. P. WEBB

Hi Fairfield,Did you receive my message re this vessel,sent 21/7/08,as I was a crew member on the delivery voyage from Port Glasgow to Melbourne 1954/55 and may be able to assist with information including photographs.Cheers Bill Smith (Melbourne Australia)
Old 22nd July 2008, 07:17

My location
Wow, what a nice thread - it just goes to show the real style, and strength and depth of SN

ps. for W J Smith - I think Fairfield is way at the moment and is yet to see your message
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:44

I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of her to see if she is the same as the steam hoppers owned by an outfit I worked for between deap sea jobs in my early days, they were also built around the same time, they featured strenghthened wing bridge supports as well as deckhead strengthening in the steering gear compartment to comply for a grant in regards to a possible "War Role". Boiler, three furnace Scotch, oil fired with Weirs pumps all round, and a tidy well laid out engineroom.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 11th July 2009, 16:32

J P Webb

Just found this topic.
Have some old photos of this hopperbarge (the second one of course) berthed alongside in Melbourne.
No idea where they come from, so cannot credit anybody.
Photos are not the best of quality.
Jan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J P Webb 1979 Sep-same.jpg (32.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg J P Webb-same.jpg (18.8 KB, 59 views)
Old 12th July 2009, 07:24

Thanks Jan for your message re the J.P.Webb. The photos look O.K to me. In trying to put a face to a name, could you be the Jan Hendricks who acted as the returning officer for S.U.A elections from time to time ? However I will print the photo's and get back to you. Cheers, Bill Smith
Old 13th July 2009, 08:23

J P Webb

Bill,
Elections??? never had anything to do with that, Jan Hendrik (note correct spelling) are both my Christian names.
Will send you a PM with same photos and another coloured beauty of this vessel next couple of days.
Regards,
Jan
Old 15th July 2009, 10:29
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
I saw the hulk of JP Webb together with another similar hull - name escapes me - in the late 80's early 90's. They had been run up on the beach in a little cove near Point Lillias and I think that some local was going to break them up completely but either went broke, lost interest , or - as I heard - was denied access to the site by the adjoining land holder. Can't say if they are still there or not... long time no sail in that area. Can't see them on Google Earth but I would imagine that they would have eventually been completely dismantled rather than towed off the beach and scuttled... very shallow area around there.... and I think they were both 'tidal'.

There was a near sister... if not JP Webb herself although the dates don't fit... that was in collision when inboard from the spoil ground with an outbound Polish ship in 1984. The MHT hopper 'sank' just south of Breakwater Pier... frd section flooded and sat on the bottom... stern stuck up in the air... salvaged soon there after. Collision caused by big ships working VHF Ch 12.... MHT ships using UHF... all work Ch 12 these days.

Cheers
Frank
Old 10th September 2010, 13:42

JP Webb

Hi All
Nice to see others who know the boiler and engine rooms etc on that old girl. I was heavily involved with her around 1980-81 alongside at Nth Wharf in preparation for using her as a salvage vessel for the City of Rayville off Cape Otway. We steamed her to Mornington Pier for a test run with both police and harbour Authority chasing us down the Yarra and out to Port Phillip before giving up on us all.

The engine was a beautiful triple expansion, 1000HP @ I think 95 or 100 RPM

It took a lot of work to get her recommissioned as she had not been fired up for some yrs prior. I know very well the blackness and sulphur of the inside of her old scotch boilers. A really sweet boiler engine combination though. Almost Silent

Whilst I was never one to photograph these occasions my dear friend Holger was. If you would like some photos, let me know and I will ask.

Very fond memories and would love to hear from anyone else that may have been involved in the Webb and especially that venture.

Cheers

Phil Long

Last edited by pglong12 : 10th September 2010 at 14:00.
Old 11th September 2010, 22:24

J P Webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglong12 View Post
Hi All

Whilst I was never one to photograph these occasions my dear friend Holger was. If you would like some photos, let me know and I will ask.

Cheers

Phil Long
Hi Phil

I would love to have copies of any photos. I was brought up on the Clyde and -much to late in life and 400 miles away -have recently started a project titled "Clydebuilt". As part of this, and because I was born in Paisley, dredgers interest me. These ships, and their builders deserve to be better known.

Andy Shand
Bristol
Old 5th April 2012, 14:54

Photos

Hi All

Still trying to get photos from the Salvage Era 1980-81
During the process of converting the Hopper Barge to a Salvage Vessel as a part of celebrations and a good excuse to take her for a run we steamed her out from the river towards Mornington Pier. We were chased by the Port Authority down the river yelling on a PA "turn this vessel around, Stop this Vessel". They where promptly told to ...............
Funny, they did.

So we proceeded to steam towards Mornington pier. Jack an old Engineer from Texas and I were in the Engine room driving the old girl and running the boilers. Pretty amazing thing to do! Checking the Brg cap temperatures for those that can relate. 1st time always hurts.
Must have been getting pretty close to our destination when the Telegraph goes right off from full ahead to full astern. I never have heard someone go off like Jack did swearing and yelling out "Bloody Speed Boat Drivers, What do they think this is, a bloody speed boat!

We got the engine reversed and he sent me on deck to see what was going down. Well,,,
We were heading at a few knots at around 20 degrees along the wharf and about to impact. The bow ran along the side of the wharf splitting the vertical timbers like twigs. Bang Bang and every time a twig would explode the whole wharf would shake. Grannies became Olympians running faster and faster, It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I was surprised that even the police did not come down.
There was pandemonium on board though. Everyone scurrying around trying to hide all the grog. At that point I disappeared back down to the engine room. We had an event free run all the way home to Nth Wharf. I still have my old cabin Key "A Shift" Really loved that ship and the time I worked on her, especially the engine and boilers.

I'll write more some time. I would love to catch up with anyone from that "SS City of Rayville" Salvage Era, Er.. or Kel...!

Last edited by pglong12 : 5th April 2012 at 15:06.
Old 29th April 2012, 05:58

Hi All,

Found the old girl.

See
-38.080194 144.482907
Must say sad to see her in this form and my old cabin has gone. Sort of hoping that she had been scuttled in an almost complete state but alas aground at the low water mark. Not too long and she will be nothing but oxide

Cheers

Phil
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:20
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 2009 - Present

Is that the location of her Phil. what does she look like now. it was very interesting reading through the stories. even the story of her hitting the pier.

Tony.
Old 11th October 2012, 22:08
Active: 1966 - 1975

I worked on the JP Webb in the 60's she was so quiet and so relaxed and well build. Enjoyed my time with her....
Old 13th October 2012, 06:34

The vessel that collided off breakwater pier was the Charles H McKay. this is the investigation in to the collision and there conclusions http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/25042/mair7_001.pdf. She was not a sister to Webb. She had a sister in the name of Swanston could be Hugh Swanston and another very similar but newer version named Roy A Cameron. The Cameron was newer but not as well build as the Swanton and McKay. The Swanston was the best of the 3. Although I liked the Ol' Webb the best. Any one remember Ports and Harbour Suction Dredge the Pioneer? or the Mathew Flinders? or what became of them?
Old 13th October 2012, 09:20
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Oh dear... my memory has been letting me down again.... I recall seeing her sitting on the bottom and my info comes from what the pilot told me when we passed her.... could have sworn she was down by the head... oh well.

My Uncle was C/E on the Mathew Flinders late 50s early 60s approx. She used to coal in Melbourne and then spend two weeks dredging in the Cut and thereabouts... on the weekend that she was 'down the bay' she would anchor off Dromana (?) Pier and all hands bar the watchman would go home. They both went in the early 60's... don't know where or how.
There is some confusion on the inet re the Pioneer... I think it was an even older Pioneer that was scuttled in the Graveyard.

The above is how my rather flawed memory recalls it.......
Old 13th October 2012, 12:26
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1972

My location
Here is a photo of Pioneer that I took in 1963.
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...php?lid=122753
Old 13th October 2012, 13:36

Thats nice too see the ol Pioneer, I was an AB on her for a little while in about 69. I think. used to dump the ashes before breakfast each morning. And as Cisco said used to spend 2 weeks away and every second weekend at Dromana. and head home. The Pioneer they told me never had a keel. The forecastle used to bounce up and down while under way !!!! Cheers