ED's Passenger boats - Ships Nostalgia
17:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

ED's Passenger boats

Old 4th April 2012, 16:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 1964

ED's Passenger boats

I was in the Apapa and Aureol. Gordon Rimmer was bosun, the skipper was Cpt ?? brains gone dead... I remembered, it was Baptiste, Cpt...

Last edited by Essjay : 5th April 2012 at 12:29.
Old 6th April 2012, 14:54
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essjay View Post
I was in the Apapa and Aureol. Gordon Rimmer was bosun, the skipper was Cpt ?? brains gone dead... I remembered, it was Baptiste, Cpt...
One trip on the Accra Captain O` Sullivan
Old 6th April 2012, 15:27
Active: 1955 - Present

I was lucky enough to be an Apprentice on the ACCRA, Extra Third Mate and Extra Second Mate on the AUREOL and then finally Senior Second Mate back on the ACCRA. Wonderful happy ships and what a trip, apart from the ports visited, sail on a Thursday and then dock back in Liverpool four weeks on the following Monday. Then 10 days in Liverpool. I had to be virtually dragged off the ACCRA kicking and screaming when I was promoted to Chief Mate of a 'K' boat!!! That was when South Africa beckoned in 1966.
Old 27th May 2012, 04:00
Department: Navigation
Active: 1958 - 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodend View Post
I was lucky enough to be an Apprentice on the ACCRA, Extra Third Mate and Extra Second Mate on the AUREOL and then finally Senior Second Mate back on the ACCRA. Wonderful happy ships and what a trip, apart from the ports visited, sail on a Thursday and then dock back in Liverpool four weeks on the following Monday. Then 10 days in Liverpool. I had to be virtually dragged off the ACCRA kicking and screaming when I was promoted to Chief Mate of a 'K' boat!!! That was when South Africa beckoned in 1966.
I'm sure you and I crossed paths some time- you are the same "Woody" Woodend who was on the Obuasi with Jock Gunning, Sandy Powell etc? I think we did a standby together somewhere, though not a deep-sea trip.
I did quite a few voyages as Apprentice and Extra 3rd Mate, on all 3 mail-boats at one time or another - one trip as strike-breaker on the Apapa with quite a few other cadets standing in as ABs. We all had EDH and Lifeboat tickets, there was no safety compromised.
Old 27th May 2012, 12:03
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Did a visit to the Aureol once and was told a tale thet the 3rd eng had tapped into the beer lines running up to the pass bar,never quite knew if I was being had.

jim(bank line
Old 27th May 2012, 13:13
Active: 1955 - 2004

I did 3 trips Apapa. April to Aug,1957.Bosun,Alf Jones from Southport. I left to go for L/Boat and EDH. I done the Xmas trip on the Aureol.'59. Bosun,Dave Trimble. I never remember the Skippers names,unless they've Logged Me.
I was also on, Oti and Sherbro.
ttfn. Peter. T.
Old 29th May 2012, 23:56

My location
I did two trips on the Apapa Jan,-Mar.1959. Also Jun,-Jul. 1955 Alf Jones was still Bosun on her,both times. A great guy. Still have pictures of him and some others on board.
Old 30th May 2012, 08:16
Active: 1967 - 1982

Was told a story a few years ago that there was a working alley (for crew only) that ran alongside some of the passenger accommodation in one if the Mail boats.
Peep holes had been made at 'strategic' locations.
Anyone know if this was true?
Old 30th May 2012, 14:14
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

One of our customers has posted a photo of the Aureol on his facebook page,when I asked him why,he had travelled on it as a 9 year old with family who had been posted to Lagos,small world eh?
Old 21st August 2012, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Trodden View Post
I did 3 trips Apapa. April to Aug,1957.Bosun,Alf Jones from Southport. I left to go for L/Boat and EDH. I done the Xmas trip on the Aureol.'59. Bosun,Dave Trimble. I never remember the Skippers names,unless they've Logged Me.
I was also on, Oti and Sherbro.
ttfn. Peter. T.
I remember Alf Jones joining the APAPA at the landing stage, after Gordon Rimmer paid off, for domestic reasons. I think his mom had become gravely ill. We all thought the lampy would take the job, but he refused it. Paddy Sealy was his name, a long thin Irishman. I also remember ''Joan'' the hair dresser, we all waited to sail, then got our hair cut, cheaper than ashore, and to check out ''Joan'' lol! I was an AB dayworker at the time.

Last edited by Essjay : 21st August 2012 at 16:32.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Calvin View Post
Was told a story a few years ago that there was a working alley (for crew only) that ran alongside some of the passenger accommodation in one if the Mail boats.
Peep holes had been made at 'strategic' locations.
Anyone know if this was true?
It was true about the working alley ways, port side, Fore and Aft. Not sure about the peep holes tho'!

Last edited by Essjay : 21st August 2012 at 16:26.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:22

Quote:
I sailed with a 3rd mate, in Harrisons who emigrated to SA, Durban. He worked for Jack Storms, Stevadores, cannot recall his name! Keith ??? I remember his dad was Chief Cn'st of Bristol.He visited Durban on leave and attended a police get together. As you know. Durban is/was the only city in SA to have a Chief Con... I was living in ''Welkom, Oranje Vrei Staat'' at that time!

Steve

Last edited by Essjay : 21st August 2012 at 16:24.