Banana Boats - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
07:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Banana Boats

Old 5th March 2010, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lewis View Post
I too sailed with Captain Whitehouse for one trip (of my four) on the Sinaloa August/September 1960. It was my first trip as 4th Engineer; a quick trip to Jamaica and back to Southampton.
Bill.

I joined Sinaloa in early August '61 at Southampton, we returned to Gourock, next trip we returned to Avonmouth, I've still have my pay slips but can't make out his signature, I the master would occasionally, relax on the starboard side of the bridge, I remember him as a very pleasent man, the C.E was shortish dark haired and wore specs.

The watering hole for the C.E and others was the Deliville hotel ( may be the wrong spelling ) does this ring a bell.

Ray.

Last edited by Splinter : 5th March 2010 at 14:01.
Old 10th March 2010, 12:23

Anyone remember a Chief Engineer called "Whispering" Jack Russel of Elders & Fyffes? I sailed with him once on the "M-Class" motor ships (can't remember which one). His hobby was building model railway steam engines. Even had rails round his garden. Really nice guy - didn't even get cross with me when I "blew the tubes" over him and his wife on the boat deck one afternoon (sometime in the late 70's). Tall guy with dark curly hair and a beard (looked like a real "Chief") and always spoke quietly because he was hard of hearing and was scared of talking too loud.

Last edited by Nigel Hibberd : 10th March 2010 at 12:27.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:19
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

Jack Russell relieved me as C/E on Motagua at Naples in June 1974.
I don't remember him having a beard then. - As you say in the brief time I met him he seemed a fine guy - he possibly did not thing so highly of me during his time on Motagua.
She was not one of the better M-Class ships.
Old 14th April 2010, 04:14

Tony Whitehouse

I remember him as the Marine Superintendant. He interviewed me for my Cadetship and was very supportive of all the cadets in the company.
Old 5th October 2011, 23:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - 1979

I too remember Capt Whithouse, as he interviewed me at the Boulevard School For Nautical Training in Hull in 1972 when he and representatives from other shipping companies ascended on the school for recruits.
I changed from navigation to engineering and it was Capt Whithouse who gave me the opportunity for an engineering career with Fyffes. Met him several times during my cadetship. Great fellow.
The name of Nigel Hibberd rings a bell did you go to Hull?
Old 27th December 2011, 15:39

Hi Every one I sailed aboard TES Samala in September 1960 payed off in Southampton two days after my 16th birthday . I am looking for some photo's if anyone has any please get in touch.
Thanks Chris Gundry.
Old 1st March 2012, 10:29
Active: 1961 - 2002

If Michael Beale ever reads this please do leave contact details, we sailed together I believe in the early 60's.

Howard Dean.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:31

Tony Whitehouse

Hi,
Will always remember " Captain Whitehouse" as he gave me my interview at Queensway when I joined as a deck cadet in 1976.
Had some great times with Fyffes, always a happy company to work for.

Kind regards
Chris Chambers
Old 7th April 2012, 01:49
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 1964

'Skin Boats'

I sailed in first the Tilapa to the West Indies and a few years later on the Manistee to the West coast. My uncle was a chippie, John Smart, and my aunt a stewardess in the company. I think on the Camito?
Old 28th April 2012, 17:12

I was am engineering cadet form 1964 to 1969 and I left the company as 4th Engineer in 1971.
My first trip was on the Camito in Aug'66 and the Golfito was my last ship in 1971. I sailed on the Tilapa, Turialba, and Chang. I have fond memories.
Old 3rd May 2012, 00:52

My location
Did one trip on the Tetela as QM May-June 1957. along with a fellow member Peter (peggy 747). The memory like the trip was too short to recall much about it.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:27

I sailed in the Manistee, in the late '50's. The skipper was Cpt Whitehouse. My middle right finger became infected, I think because of that white s**t, mixed with white lead, used for painting by hand of all metal hand rails. My finger became so inflamed, the skipper radioed a warship, that was close by, on how to treat the infection. He took their advice, and proceeded to cut and drain the infected digit. If he had not done so, I would most probably lost my right hand. I was put ashore in Port Victoria down the west coast, into a hospital. When the ship was ready to leave, he insisted that I should be discharged and leave with the ship. It's a long short story but>>>>>

Steve
Old 21st August 2012, 16:33

Sails

Which of the Banana boats, hoisted a sail, on the way back to the UK? Would like a photo of her with the sail rigged please.
Old 21st February 2013, 11:46

Howard Dean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric's ruth View Post
Hello
Just found this site and have read several of the threads and would just like to say how nice it was to bring back memories of the old day when my dad Eric Taylor was sailing on these ships. I remember some of the names of the crew but as I was only a little girl it's hard to think back that long. Dad passed away in 1977 if any one remembers him would love to hear from you. Someone mentioned Marcus Bowden he called several times to see dad before he passed away think his mother in law in Netley Abbey not far from where we lived.
Hello Ruth,
I sailed with your father on the Camito for four trips, he was very helpful in assisting me with a radio I had purchased, it was 120 volts and I bought it as 250 volts, consequently it was useless until your dad twidled it for me. I recall Jock Burns was the chief and Bill Rankin was the third. I regret I am unable to recall any other names.

Howard.
Old 17th April 2013, 22:06

Your father

I remember your dad, although I didn't work for fyffes, my dad worked with him his name was Frank Meredith, he was a chief engineer and later the technical director, we lived in chandlers ford and I recall being taken to your fathers house with my dad, I recall your father talk about his sons interest in motor bikes and an old rover car was kept in the garage.
I think our dads were friends and had sailed or worked together for a long time, my dad worked on the Golfetto, when the ship went to scrap he got the engine room ships clock which I still have. As a boy I was taken to the ships whilst in Southampton port to see my dad, I recall the Darren which we have painting of and meeting some of the men my dad worked for, Hugh King was also a good friend of my dads, he was uncle Hugh to me and taught me to swim, the men were much closer than a normal work colleague I guess because they spent so much time together. I would be interested in any pictures you may have or to hear from anyone that worked with my dad.
Old 13th May 2013, 22:12

I sailed with your dad although I didn`t have much to do with him as I was a GP.1 I remember your mum was onboard as well as your brother who was sailing as junior engineer.
Old 11th September 2013, 22:19
Active: 1971 - Present

Smile Frank Meredith

Hi John.
I joined Fyffes as an Engineering cadet in 1971. I remember your father very well. He was my first Chief Engineer on the mv Morant which I joined in Tokyo. Your dad had a big influence on my life, he was very strict with us cadets. I learned a lot from him and have fond memories of those days.

Reading through this forum, there are many names I remember, hello to everyone who remembers me.

Rgds Colin
Old 12th September 2013, 00:02
Active: 1962 - 1964

John.meredith,
Just read your post, reached into my filing cabinet and pulled out a reference signed by your Chief Engineer father in the SS Tilapa on 25th Nov 1963 in Bremen.
IIRC we were flown back to the UK from there, my first flight, and I recollect thinking that it seemed rather more comfortable than the North Sea storm we'd ploughed through to get to our discharge port.
Bally heck! A lifetime ago - literally (and, on this occasion, literally actually means literally - well, if I was discussing when I was five it would be more literally )

Just edited to say my avatar is on the Tilapa.

Last edited by Basil : 12th September 2013 at 00:04.
Old 12th September 2013, 19:04
Department: Fishing
Active: 1964 - Present

Captain Whitehouse remebered by a Galley Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Whitehouse View Post
My father served with Elders & Fyffes from 47 (I think) to 86, I wonder how many people remember him, his name was Tony. Also I have a few photos of ships, places and people, which I will try and scan and load onto this site when I have some time.
Hi I sailed with your father on my first trip to sea in 1964 as a Galley Boy in the Tucurinca. I remember him as a very kind quietly spoken gentleman who I only really saw him on inspection day which had been every Tuesday at sea, when he would tour the ship in in his immaculate white tropical uniform. At that time I used to draw pictures of ships in my off duty hours and if I had left a drawing on the table in our cabin he would send for me from the Galley and congratulate me on my efforts, on occassion he had also pointed out any detail I may have missed. Happy days. I read your father has now passed away, the world is surely missing such a fine gentleman. God bless you and your family.

Last edited by Galley Allen : 12th September 2013 at 19:11.
Old 25th August 2014, 19:38

On leaving the Camito I drank the top from too many bottles and was a little incapable. Captain Whitehouse was traveling on the same train from Avonmouth and then on to Liverpool. He looked after me and saw me onto the correct train, sitting me on my suitcase in the corridor as there were no seats. the best journey I have ever made as I didn't wake up until Lime Street Liverpool. The captain was a VERY decent person. Does anybody remember Bill Rankin who was third engineer on the Camito at the time. He too was one of the nicest people I have ever met.

Howard Dean.
Old 25th August 2014, 21:55

I sailed on the old steamship CAVINA in the mid fifties. Carried quite a few passengers. Kingston maik port picked up bananas round Jamaica coast ,no passengers aboard. Also called Port of spain Trinidad
Stuart
Old 25th August 2014, 22:19
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R396040 View Post
I sailed on the old steamship CAVINA in the mid fifties. Carried quite a few passengers. Kingston maik port picked up bananas round Jamaica coast ,no passengers aboard. Also called Port of spain Trinidad
Stuart
I did four voyages on the Cavina 1 in Jan 1950 , 1 in Mar of 1950, and another one in October 1950, and the last one in Nov 1950.
Old 25th August 2014, 23:59

i believe your father was mate on my first trip on the Chicanoa in 1968. The Captain was Capt Morris.
Old 27th August 2014, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
I did four voyages on the Cavina 1 in Jan 1950 , 1 in Mar of 1950, and another one in October 1950, and the last one in Nov 1950.
Hi John,
Thanks for your entry. On reading it checked my first discharge book and see it was one trip on Cavina as Engineers steward and much earlier April to may 1949 sailing in and out of Avonmouth. I was at sea thirty years and like you did variety of ships & companies to see the World literally. Settled down later with Cunard freighters.
My memories of Cavina apart from Jamaica,, no mops allowed in those days.

were wooden decks internally and as steward scrubbing them on hands & knees in those long ago days