CARRIER aground at Llanddulas - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
05:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

CARRIER aground at Llanddulas

Old 6th April 2012, 14:28
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Latest updates

All the latest developments can be followed on ITV Wales here.
Old 7th April 2012, 14:10

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulpers View Post
All the latest developments can be followed on ITV Wales here.
Near the end of the mentioned article you get the usual journalistic description - the vessel is a 'tanker', and a few lines further on, 'the vessel is loaded with stone'.
Old 7th April 2012, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsailor View Post
Near the end of the mentioned article you get the usual journalistic description - the vessel is a 'tanker', and a few lines further on, 'the vessel is loaded with stone'.
Give 'em a bit of latitude - In Journo-land there are only two types of ship: Liners and Tankers.
Old 7th April 2012, 14:22
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1972

Read somewhere that she is a total loss, cant remember where article is though
Old 7th April 2012, 15:21
Active: 1952 - 1989

My location
I also heard on the wireless on the day it happened a spokeswoman for one of the agencies saying that she had 40,000 tons of oil on board. She obviously meant 40,000 litres.
Old 7th April 2012, 19:14

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
I also heard on the wireless on the day it happened a spokeswoman for one of the agencies saying that she had 40,000 tons of oil on board. She obviously meant 40,000 litres.
Wouldn't be too sure about that !.
Old 7th April 2012, 20:04
Active: 1958 - 1972

I have found the article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-n...wales-17645827

She is going to be cut up were she is for scrap
Old 8th April 2012, 01:31
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman25 View Post
I have found the article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-n...wales-17645827

She is going to be cut up were she is for scrap
I like the British approach on this one ; dont P1ss about get it out of there and now !
Old 9th April 2012, 11:15
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

Although not connected to this incident, Raynes' Jetty is also where the ill-fated MV Swanland left from on it's final voyage last December.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:57
Retired Ancient Mariner
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
For all the times that the "Roberson" ships went into LLandullas there but for the grace of God go us.
We took chances and never got caught out and I have memories of several occasions that we were partly loaded and the weather became really nasty and we stayed alongside to finish rather that have to go back alongside when the weather moderated (and the tide was right)
Old 9th April 2012, 15:29

Photo of the CARRIER being broken up in the Welsh Daily Post
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nort...5578-30721434/
Old 10th April 2012, 11:58
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

IFW Today report as follows...........

All fuel on board the stricken cargo ship Carrier has been successfully removed, the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said.

There were 40,000 litres of fuel oil on board the ship when it ran aground in strong winds and heavy seas on 4 April, near Llanddulas on the North Wales coast.

There were fears that the battering the ship received in the bad weather after running aground could cause an environmental emergency. Some fuel did leak.

But an MCA spokeswoman said today: “The operation to remove the remaining 24,000 litres of fuel oil, along with oily water and other hazardous materials from the Carrier was completed yesterday evening.”

She added that the vessel remained aground, resting against concrete dolosse blocks on the beach. The owners of the vessel have declared it a total loss.

The spokeswoman said the company awarded the contract to remove the fuel oil from the vessel, had also been awarded the contract to cut the vessel up on site and remove it for recycling.

geoff
Old 11th May 2012, 14:07
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
The operation to remove MV CARRIER from Llanddulas foreshore is complete.

Following Press Release from the MCA.

The operation to remove the wreck of the cargo ship MV Carrier, which ran aground near Llanddulas, North Wales, was completed this week. It has taken contractors, PGC, less than six weeks to remove the wreck and all scrap materials from the vessel have now been removed from the site. However residual work to make the site, and immediate surrounding area, safe for public use will need completion. Speed restrictions on the A55 will remain in place and the cycle path closed until a full safety assessment is made next week.

Although there was a small release of diesel fuel at the time of the incident, tests conducted on marine life, mussels and starfish from various locations by the Environment Agency Wales have been analysed throughout the operation and have found no traces of contamination.

The vessel was carrying a cargo of limestone and had bunkers onboard of 40,000 litres of marine diesel fuel at the time of the incident. Holyhead Coastguard coordinated the rescue of the seven crewmen who were airlifted from the ship by a navy and RAF helicopter.

Although the A55 was closed when the vessel first beached, North Wales Police were able to quickly re-open it and it remained open throughout the clear-up operation.

Colin Mulvana, Deputy to the Secretary of States Representative for Maritime Salvage and Intervention said

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Environment Agency Wales, North Wales Police and local authorities have worked with the salvage contractors, PGC Demolition to ensure that the wreck has been removed with minimal pollution and disruption.

Dave Edwell, from Environment Agency Wales added:

Our officers have been on site over the last four weeks working closely with the contractors to oversee the demolition and to make sure the local environment is protected. Fortunately, the environmental impact of this incident has been minimal, and this is a result of the swift action taken by all agencies and contractors involved.

ACC Pritchard, North Wales Police praised the excellent working relationships between the multi-agency working group set up to managing the salvage of the MV Carrier and was pleased the operation was completed ahead of schedule and with minimal impact locally. Safety remains a priority however and ACC Pritchard asked the closure of the cycle path and speed restrictions be observed until the site is fully reopened.

Posted By: Fred Caygill