Offshore Marine - Ships In Fleet - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
08:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Offshore Marine - Ships In Fleet

Old 6th September 2011, 13:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 1994

My location
NO worries hris - glad to have been of help!

Jonty
Old 21st October 2011, 11:11
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 2010

Offshore Marine

If anyone is interested I worked for Offshore Marine from 1970 through the purchase by Zapata finaly leaving to join OIL in 1988. I have photos of all the vessels owned and operated by OM, was involved in the building of some and the repair and maintenace of all.

I have some excellent memories of the pionering days of the 70's and reading the threads above brought back some names long forgotten.

Tony
Old 21st October 2011, 11:30
Active: 1966 - 1984

Island Shore 1977

I remember chartering the 'Island Shore' and converting her for use as a 'Remote Operated Vehicle' (ROV) support vessel 1n 1977. We used her to survey the Kinsale Head Gas Pipeline with ROV 'Consub2', our first job.. There were some blank faces in the Edgware Road Office when I went to arrange the Charter party, as only a couple of years before I was a 2/O with Cunard, and people kept asking what ship I was now on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettr75 View Post
If anyone is interested I worked for Offshore Marine from 1970 through the purchase by Zapata finaly leaving to join OIL in 1988. I have photos of all the vessels owned and operated by OM, was involved in the building of some and the repair and maintenace of all.

I have some excellent memories of the pionering days of the 70's and reading the threads above brought back some names long forgotten.

Tony
Old 21st October 2011, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Cardew View Post
I remember chartering the 'Island Shore' and converting her for use as a 'Remote Operated Vehicle' (ROV) support vessel 1n 1977. We used her to survey the Kinsale Head Gas Pipeline with ROV 'Consub2', our first job.. There were some blank faces in the Edgware Road Office when I went to arrange the Charter party, as only a couple of years before I was a 2/O with Cunard, and people kept asking what ship I was now on..
Marcus,

I remember it well, for the charter we fitted an A Frame which was called the OSAGANG, it was originally fitted to the Strait Shore when she was new as OSA, at the time, was looking for an AHTS with an A Frame, happy days

Tony
Old 10th April 2012, 22:13
Active: 1957 - 1965

steamship

Quote:

Tony
Hi Tony,
The name Tony rings a bell. My last boat with OM was the Shetland shore. I went to a German outfit then an American outfit. I then teamed up with Eric Livermore who was murdered in Nigeria. We were trying to buy a couple of the old OM boats but couldn't raise interest in your office. I got married to an American girl and ended up managing their operations in various world wide locations.
Tony Jones ended up marrying a Louisiana girl too but I don't know
where he is now. Capt Peter, I can't remember his name but he was Tony's sidekick ended up in Dubai and we would go to dinner every now and then. Now I'm retired and live in Arizona without a ship in sight.
Old 10th April 2012, 22:15

Well Peter and I would go to dinner before he took a heart attack and died!
Old 10th April 2012, 22:37
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1959 - 2004

Can any ship mates remember the Mercia Shore pulling the crane of the Brent
Delta Platform it was the West crane in the 70's ? I was on the Platform at the time and was a Saturday night and the sea state was dodgy for a lift that night
and safety was scoffed at in them days we use to do supply boats in any weather if there was a panic on the Platform for gear to be offloaded .

Ex crane op
Roger S Whitfield
Old 11th April 2012, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddraigmor View Post
I can give you a fleet list for the ships?

1960 - Tern Shore
1965 South Shore / North Shore
1967 - East Shore / West Shore / Norfolk Shore / Kent Shore / Essex Shore / Suffolk Shore
1968 - Arctic Shore / Atlantic Shore
1969 - Nova Shore / Pacific Shore / Tropic Shore / Cook Shore
1970- Island Shore / Cape Shore / Petrel Shore / Strait Shore
1971 - Bay Shore / Polar Shore
1972 - Channel Shore / Ocean Shore
1973 - Shetland Shore / Orkney Shore / Bass Shore / Scotian Shore / Breton Shore

After this, I believe they had some more built - named the 'Weather Class' built in 1974

Fastnet Shore / Lundy Shore / Forties Shore / Cromarty Shore

That's all I have on OM but I believe they were 'Zapped' in 1980 - 81.

Jonty
Hi Jonty,
I was chief engineer on the Dogger shore. first off after trials. They had a swichboard fire on trials but it was all fixed by the Dutch when I took over in Aberdeen. The captain was a great guy called Chris Chipchase. He nearly had a heart attack in Lerwick I when I took the the workboat with three of the crew and stole the Russian flag off the repair boat for the Soviet fishing fleet. I had my shotgun with me and when the Russians came looking I was sitting in my cabin cleaning the shotgun and denying any part of it. The office found out about it and some wanted to fire me but it all got quieted down. My mother found out and sneaked into my house and got the flag and burned it.I wasn't allowed to take my shotgun with me again. Spoilsorts! I live in America now and have a gun locker full.
Old 11th April 2012, 08:31

Steamship,

Do you mean Peter Upton ??
Old 11th April 2012, 18:48

Quote:
Steamship,

Do you mean Peter Upton ??
Tony,
Yes Peter Upton, that's right. Are you the same Tony I think you are?
Stewart.
Old 11th April 2012, 21:28

Stewart
Have a look at www.fletchershipping.com
Tony
Old 16th April 2012, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackal View Post
Don - I met a Master out in Mexico on the Boa Canopus 'Lionel ****' who is possibly the same person. I'll have a trawl through the files and see if I can come up with a surname. Did your 'Lionel' have a sense of humour? (I ask, as the fella I knew - delivered a particularly-superb admonishment to his boss)

Al
I was on the 'Boa Canopus' in Mexico. The skippers I recall were George Bowie, Alan McGregor, Lennart Faggelstrom (spelling) and another Swede called Bjorn who lived in the States. There was also another skipper who was on the 'Tog Mor' when it lifted the 'Mary Rose' but I can't remember his name. Innes Brown was a long serving mate there and I think he did his last couple of trips as skipper ( but I could be wrong) before the Mexicans took over the manning.
Old 16th April 2012, 11:27

Ray - you are absolutely correct... It was Lennart Fagglestrom I was meaning

I remember Innes, and also the Chief Engineer Robin Charles (now works for Prosafe I believe)
George Bowie - I think I came accross George on Acergy Osprey back in 2006? Nice fella.

Al
Old 16th April 2012, 12:10

Can any of you remember an American Company that operated in the early days of Oil Exploration in the North Sea with their Houseflag which had on it the Earth and what appeared to be tracking Satellite's going around it? Thank You.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 16th April 2012, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackal View Post
Ray - you are absolutely correct... It was Lennart Fagglestrom I was meaning

I remember Innes, and also the Chief Engineer Robin Charles (now works for Prosafe I believe)
George Bowie - I think I came accross George on Acergy Osprey back in 2006? Nice fella.

Al
Hi Al

You are quite correct, Robin now works in the office for Prosafe (I work for them also)
Old 13th May 2012, 13:32
Active: 1964 - 2008

The Petrel Shore did not have a bowthrust and her control "sticks" were placed athwartship, not the best idea in the world.

I vividly remember hearing the Mayday relay from GSFA (East Shore) via Marseilles radio station when she got into trouble in the Mistral in the Gulf of Rhone...carrying casing . She sank with all hands. I was on the Atlantic Shore at the time and had come alongside the East Shore (The Beast as she was known (64 panes of glass in her octangonal bridge!) in Luanda.

We were off Madeira at the time and were diverted to Gib to take over the East Shore's role. It was rather ironic that she sank as she might have been old and ugly but was a very good sea ship.

I think the skipper of the Tropic Shore nmight have been one known affectionately as "the Klep|" when she foundered.
Old 21st May 2012, 23:43

lerwick christmas relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardang View Post
The one that sank after hitting Britannia was Tropic Shore.

I left her about 2 weeks before!

Howard
Howard do you remember who it was that sent a message to the agents in lerwick saying it was from the office and he was to relieve the captain for christmas?
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:11

Hi there all,
I towed icebergs while on the Shetland in 1975. I never did get the photos I was supposed to. Now I live in Yuma Arizona which is in the desert area and the locals think I'm nuts when I tell them about icebergs being towed. Does anyone have any pics. they can share?
Old 24th June 2012, 21:54

Re Post 64,
Chadburn are you thinking of this symbol?http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...egasus/cat/518

This world sign has trucks going around it and is Halliburtons (Star Pegasus was on charter to them as an early well stimulation vessel) A real good job for me that was!!
Old 25th June 2012, 12:32

Very similiar but no, nevertheless thank you for trying Nick. My interest at the time was ex-Military vessel's, one of these was either called the "Tezin" or "Texin" with a Hull No "T? 9206 AS" or very similiar. There was however a "Flatback" called I believe the "Bayou Chico" It was very early on whilst they were looking for North Sea Oil.

Last edited by chadburn : 25th June 2012 at 12:34.
Old 25th June 2012, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
Very similiar but no, nevertheless thank you for trying Nick. My interest at the time was ex-Military vessel's, one of these was either called the "Tezin" or "Texin" with a Hull No "T? 9206 AS" or very similiar. There was however a "Flatback" called I believe the "Bayou Chico" It was very early on whilst they were looking for North Sea Oil.
If any assistance -- The Bayou Chico was built by Burton, Port Arthur, Texas for Western Geophysical in 1963, yard no. 346. 194 gt. as a research vessel. She is now as far as I know the fishing vessel Jamie D. Charley
Old 25th June 2012, 16:14

It certainly is Galtra and thank you, any idea about Tezan or possibly Texin which looked like an ex American Navy Sub Chaser. The number I gave was on her Bow and I wondered if that was her Navy Designation which had been left on for old times sake.

Old 4th July 2012, 15:58

Hi Everyone.
I have just found this thread and read it with interest. I joined Offshore Marine in July 1970 as an AB flying out to Mulgrave, Nova Scotia. I spent over fifteen years in the company, studied hard and was promoted to Master in 1975. I sailed on several ships but mostly the Weather Class ships.
I am presently compiling my whole seagoing career in the form of a website and will be needing some ship pics that I am missing. I live in Phuket, Thailand but all my photos, disharge books and documents are in the UK which I will be visiting later this year. I can't remember what pics I have but I know that I require pics of the Petrel Shore, where I served as AB, cook, Mate, Master and even a couple of days as 2nd Engineer in Gabon and Spain. Also pics of the Pacific Shore, Polar Shore and East Shore I don't have so if anyone can help I would be very appreciative.
Thanks. Bruce Walls
Old 30th October 2012, 22:11
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1977

Quote:

Tony
Hi Tony, Just joined the site today and have read with interest all the 'blogs' about Offshore Marine. I joined them in 1973 and sailed as Master for almost 4 years with them. I am trying to get photos of the ones I sailed on and was hoping you could help ? Arctic Shore,North,Cape,Channel,Norfolk,Breton,Pacific and my final command Anglia. Peter Upton took over from me in November 1977 and I moved to Shell working as OIM for the next 25 years.
Ian Leece.
Old 3rd November 2012, 16:35

Peter Upton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileece View Post
Hi Tony, Just joined the site today and have read with interest all the 'blogs' about Offshore Marine. I joined them in 1973 and sailed as Master for almost 4 years with them. I am trying to get photos of the ones I sailed on and was hoping you could help ? Arctic Shore,North,Cape,Channel,Norfolk,Breton,Pacific and my final command Anglia. Peter Upton took over from me in November 1977 and I moved to Shell working as OIM for the next 25 years.
Ian Leece.
Hi Tony, Hi Ian,
Ian, I seem to remenber you though I don't think I sailed with you. I met up with Peter when he was with the office for Zapata. I worked for Seahorse in Cabinda at the time. Later I met up with him in Singapore and China. After that was all finished I met up with him in Dubai where he was running a generator rental company. He admitted he didn't know much about generators but he had engineers who did. Anyway we tried to have dinner once a month and after about a year I phoned him and he said he was recovering from a heart attack. Three weeks later I phoned and his secretary told me he had passed. I know some people didn't like him but I did. His son was still working in Dubai when I left.