J R Rix & Son Ltd. Hull - Ships Nostalgia
02:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

J R Rix & Son Ltd. Hull

Old 13th April 2012, 00:07
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 1971

J R Rix & Son Ltd. Hull

Anyone out there sailed on and of the Rix boats back in the early 60's, I would certainly like to hear from you.

I did reliving trips on all the Rix boats, had a great time as was just an apprentice (18<) from Drypool Eng & Drydock Co Ltd. Went from 5 pounds a week to 140p.w.

Came across some really nice places around UK and Ireland also some good blokes on the ships themselves.

So please feel free to burst into print and contact me.

Mike
Old 18th April 2012, 00:05

Just loaded the small tanker Rix Merlin on the Tees with pertrol for the Isle of Wight. Now manned by only 4 Poles. First time visit of this vessel to us (vopak)
Old 19th April 2012, 10:11
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hemmington View Post
Anyone out there sailed on and of the Rix boats back in the early 60's, I would certainly like to hear from you.

I did reliving trips on all the Rix boats, had a great time as was just an apprentice (18<) from Drypool Eng & Drydock Co Ltd. Went from 5 pounds a week to 140p.w.

Came across some really nice places around UK and Ireland also some good blokes on the ships themselves.

Mike
Seem to remember the Robrix being a regular bunker server into the Tees last years of the 50's early 60s.....

geoff
Old 20th April 2012, 01:49

J R Rix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
Seem to remember the Robrix being a regular bunker server into the Tees last years of the 50's early 60s.....

geoff
Thanks for that Erimus, Robrix it not one I remember I never sailed on that one. I see they are still on the go, Mr. Ken Rix was running the show when I was around.
Regards Mike
Old 20th April 2012, 12:00
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Quote:
Thanks for that Erimus, Robrix it not one I remember I never sailed on that one. I see they are still on the go, Mr. Ken Rix was running the show when I was around.
Regards Mike
May be of interest that about 20 years ago 'THE' Brian Rix came as guest dinner speaker to The Institute of Freight Forwarders in Hull. He was booked in view of the Rix family connections,and spoke as such initially, and was donating his fee to Mencap.....however, as is normal at such dinners, there was a sweepstake on how long the speech would take he finished and said that it had taken so many minutes and so many seconds! This was disputed by just about every table.....he said he had timed it to the second and was totally dischuffed that he should be challenged on his timing!!

He left shortly afterwards...

geoff
Old 31st March 2013, 18:55

Rix,s

Quote:

Mike
Hi Mike, from mid 60s onwards to 68 on Lesrix, Bobrix,Kenrix, Lesrix skipper Hanson, cant mind offhand mates name but both from Hull. Skipper on Kenrix was from Hull but lived down Cornwall,mate Chris Cambridge,now or was a pilot in Seaham, Egineers Ch on Lesrix Ernie Blacklock from Seaham. Kenrix Ch was a Taffy cant mind his name,but if you were with drypool u might have visited us in Aberdeen one time. Lot of coal from Amble to Teignmouth then wash out for china clay from Par/Fowey. Good little ships and mostly good lads.Few storys we could tell thats for sure. Regards J.Egan
Old 31st March 2013, 20:29

Hi Jim,
I do remember the Lesrix skipper Hansen and Chief Eng Ernie Blacklock.
The mate was Neil?.
Cheers Mike
Old 24th April 2013, 09:22

Hi Mike...I have come across a photo of the jon rix taken at Fleetwood 50,s or 60,s have you any information on her and if possible where to obtain a set of plans as i would like to build a model of her...thanks...Rod
Old 2nd May 2013, 22:13

My location
j r rix

Sailed on the Kenrix 1961 as a work experience ( HullTrinity House navigation School)
Captain Blyth ,mate was Latvian, Chief Eng. from Hull.
Left ship after 3 weeks at Ipswich.Only 14 years old, loved it.
Dave
Old 2nd May 2013, 23:03

Cptn Rodders
PM me about JONRIX plans

Graham
Old 3rd May 2013, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiepoodle View Post
Sailed on the Kenrix 1961 as a work experience ( HullTrinity House navigation School)
Captain Blyth ,mate was Latvian, Chief Eng. from Hull.
Left ship after 3 weeks at Ipswich.Only 14 years old, loved it.
Dave
Thanks for that, my first trip would have been in 1962 on the Bobrix as 2nd Eng (relief) 18 then, truly great time, chugging around the UK coast.

Regards Mike
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:41

Hi Mike, good to hear of another ex-Drypool apprentice. I left in 74 and went to sea with p&o on nzs ships till 83, then j marrs till 87.
Old 11th September 2013, 16:07

Do you recall the name of the "very small" Rix coaster, probably no more than about 150 tons gross and about 170 tons deadweight, that was in service in the later 1950s (and possibly into the 60s), that occasionally discharged at the Grays Co-operative Society Ltd coal wharf at Grays, Essex. Because of Lloyd's Register book criteria of the time, the vessel does not appear in that, nor does it show up in the Ian Allan coaster books of the same era.
Old 12th September 2013, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybobuk View Post
Hi Mike, good to hear of another ex-Drypool apprentice. I left in 74 and went to sea with p&o on nzs ships till 83, then j marrs till 87.
Hi Saltybobuk,
Nice to hear from you. Yes Drypool was only a small ship repair yard but as an Apprentice you got to do a bit of everything, from drydock work to going out to the big Hull docks to trials on new trawlers, talking of trawlers I do remember the worst job at Drypool was the polishing of stantions in that cold, dark, draughty workshop that the Blacksmiths used, I was so glad to get away from that and work in High Street. I left Drypool and went with Ben Line & Esso. Good times though.

Cheers Mike
Old 12th September 2013, 00:24

Small Rix coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Jordan View Post
Do you recall the name of the "very small" Rix coaster, probably no more than about 150 tons gross and about 170 tons deadweight, that was in service in the later 1950s (and possibly into the 60s), that occasionally discharged at the Grays Co-operative Society Ltd coal wharf at Grays, Essex. Because of Lloyd's Register book criteria of the time, the vessel does not appear in that, nor does it show up in the Ian Allan coaster books of the same era.
Hi Roger,
Sorry I can't recall the vessel you mentioned, it was probally just a bit before my time. I do have the Lloyds Register of Ships 1951/52 but unless you have the name it would be a quite a job finding it, if the ships names started with Rix that would certainly help.
the only names I can recall are: Bobrix, Jonrix, Kenrix, Fylrix, Lesrix they were around 800 ton mark.

Cheers Mike
Old 12th September 2013, 10:04

My location
When I was in the Steersman, we used to carry clean oils up to the Rix Depot at Stoneferry up the River Hull, we had to dredge up the river stern first following the flood tide, usually arriving at the depot about an hour before high water. I dry docked in Drypool many times. Bruce.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:49

Thanks for that Mike. I have the Lloyd's Register books for each of the years of the era in which I am interested, and because at the time there was a lower tonnage limit for unclassed (that's LR class) vessels, the vessel in which I am interested will not appear in the register book. Three of my fellow contemporary anoraks recall the vessel, but are stumped on the name. After eliminating the known Rix vessels of the 50s and 60s, I have been "inventing" 6-letter names to see if I can find something that fits.
Regards
Roger
Old 12th September 2013, 13:03

My location
Roger,

On Wiki there's mention of a "Magrix" and a "Jarrix" also. On their own website they show a photo of their first ship, purchased in 1947, but it's not named.

Brian
Old 13th September 2013, 09:51
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1963

I notice that the October issue of "Shipping Today and Yesterday" has an article on Rix Shipping.
Old 7th May 2014, 13:34
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1964

Seem to remember a mate of mine signing on Lesrix probably 1963 but never sailed on it, believe it left Goole but sank somewhere with all hands
Old 8th May 2014, 01:12

J R Rix & Co

Thanks for that Tony,

I did learn somewhere along the way that "Lesrix" did sink but my understanding was that there were no causalties, the "Bobrix" met the same fate they too suffered no losses, one crew was taken of by RAF or RN Helicopter the other crew was rescued by a Cross Channel Ferry.
That is my understanding but could be wrong. When last on the Bobrix I bought some Haggis when in Aberdeen and left them on board when I paid off, they could still be in Bobrix's freezer, I think they will have had it by now though.

Cheers

Mike
Old 8th May 2014, 13:56

Hi Mike, can`t contradict you as I don`t know any real details but that was my understanding and my mate was always known as the luckiest chap alive because he didn`t sail. Regards Tony.
Old 8th May 2014, 14:42

Mike, Google MV Lesrix then click on wreck report. Cheers Tony. P.S. date was 1960. Have a look at Goole on the web/the ships you might get more answers on there.

Last edited by TONY CLYNE : 9th May 2014 at 13:22. Reason: add last line
Old 11th May 2014, 12:47
Active: 1963 - 1974

Mike
A new book from Ships in Focus Publications on Rix Shipping in due for publication any time now.

Chris