HMS Plymouth latest - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
12:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Plymouth latest

Old 11th April 2012, 14:41

More publicity from the Plymouth Herald. There is also another petition that somebody has started up seperately to bring her back to Plymouth. http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/ditc...ail/story.html
Old 12th April 2012, 00:46
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1973

Money In Perspective

The nice people who need to scrap HMS Plymouth because they need the money !!!

FROM SALFORD STAR 2012

Peel Holdings parent company, Peel Holdings (Land and Property) Ltd posted profits of 55million in its latest accounts. Peel Holdings Isle of Man based, John Whittaker, last year saw his personal wealth double from 1,015million in 2010 to 2,075million in 2011, according to The Sunday Times Rich List.

Peel Holdings gave a paltry 17,000 to charity according to its latest accounts.

And they can't help in any way to save HMS Plymouth.
Lesser people have raised 150,000 for the ship as a charity in the same period. We used to look up to and be proud of sucsesful people like John Whittaker. Now however it just gives feelings of disgust.
Old 12th April 2012, 01:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
Just out of curriosity is she even seaworthy to make such a long tow, or are there proposals to scrap her in Liverpool where Intrepid was demolished? has she even had any inspections since languishing in birkenhead? After seeing the photos of the much newer Ex HMS Brilliant cracking open on her tow to the breakers you have to wonder?

I sincerely hope she can be saved, I have sent a few E mails to Plymouth city council, although it seems they have little interest.
Didn't HMS Brilliant go to Brazil? Has she since been sold for scrap?
Old 12th April 2012, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Didn't HMS Brilliant go to Brazil? Has she since been sold for scrap?
Yes HMS Brilliant has been towed to the breakers, there are some photos on here of her under tow.
Old 12th April 2012, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence_ss View Post
The nice people who need to scrap HMS Plymouth because they need the money !!!

FROM SALFORD STAR 2012

Peel Holdings parent company, Peel Holdings (Land and Property) Ltd posted profits of 55million in its latest accounts. Peel Holdings Isle of Man based, John Whittaker, last year saw his personal wealth double from 1,015million in 2010 to 2,075million in 2011, according to The Sunday Times Rich List.

Peel Holdings gave a paltry 17,000 to charity according to its latest accounts.

And they can't help in any way to save HMS Plymouth.
Lesser people have raised 150,000 for the ship as a charity in the same period. We used to look up to and be proud of sucsesful people like John Whittaker. Now however it just gives feelings of disgust.
My suspicions about this company are being confirmed more and more every day.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
We probably have more historic ships as museums than any other country - honestly how many do we need. They are ships , they have a life span, they cost a freakin fortune to upkeep we cant go hanging onto every single vessel that has done something. Better off spending the money on the ones we have
i
Basicaly agree with what you say ,but we (if you mean the country )would not be spending money on her .It would have been a trust or private concern thats what they were after
Old 12th April 2012, 18:28

In reply to some of the above comments:

The basic hull is sound ( I have the last cathodic readings )
I also have her last survey report.

There are however serious doubts in my mind as to her seawortheyness on any voyage over a long distance (eg Turkey).

As to the comment about cost of maintaining her I can tell you that over the period of 15 years that I was project co-ordinator onboard that these cost were close to zero as we had a system in place for being donated surrplus goods. not just from the MOD.

The same system could still work today. Busineses thoughout the UK
and elsewere dispose of millions of pounds worth of items that can be reused. If costing any rescue plan this should be taken into account.

Laurence Sharpe-Stevens HMS Plymouth crew 1971-72
Old 12th April 2012, 19:06

As a footnote to my last post:

Peel holdings may think that the battle to save HMS Plymouth is over.

I've got news for them, it's only just begun.

Keep your spirits up keep using this site and others

[b]NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE UNLESS YOU ALLOW IT TO BE
[B/]
Laurence
Old 12th April 2012, 20:39

Quote:
As a footnote to my last post:

Peel holdings may think that the battle to save HMS Plymouth is over.

I've got news for them, it's only just begun.

Keep your spirits up keep using this site and others

[b]NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE UNLESS YOU ALLOW IT TO BE
[B/]
Laurence
It is becoming quite clear to me that Peel Holdings are acting improperly over this affair. HMS Plymouth is obviously in the way of redevelopment plans, that seems fairly obvious and they have not replied to my enquiries which speaks volumes to me. If HMS Plymouth goes for scrap they will not be forgiven....ever!!
Old 12th April 2012, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
We probably have more historic ships as museums than any other country - honestly how many do we need. They are ships , they have a life span, they cost a freakin fortune to upkeep we cant go hanging onto every single vessel that has done something. Better off spending the money on the ones we have
Reading these posts about preserving a warship, it struck me that I can't recall any warship from WW1 being preserved. The battles of Coronel, Falklands and Jutland come to mind, and 1600 0f our countrymen were lost at Coronel alone. Seemed to be a different mind set after that bloodbath, stone memorials to the dead were raised and weapons of war best forgotten.
Old 12th April 2012, 22:21

Reading these posts about preserving a warship, it struck me that I can't recall any warship from WW1 being preserved. The battles of Coronel, Falklands and Jutland come to mind, and 1600 0f our countrymen were lost at Coronel alone. Seemed to be a different mind set after that bloodbath, stone memorials to the dead were raised and weapons of war best forgotten.

OK HMS Caroline still exsist in Belfast as does HMS M33 in Portsmouth. both are from WW1. If you cannot see the weapon you will never fully understand the conflict. They are in effect a warning from history.

As for HMS Plymouth she still contains a concicrated chapel onboard dedicated to all navy war dead.

She was adapted very much to show the reasons for the conflict.
To me she is a symbol of British values standing up against Dictaitors.
If we had not done so at Jutland and WW2 you would all be able to speak German like I can !!!

OLD MEN MAKE WARS ..... YOUNG MEN DIE IN THEM !
Old 12th April 2012, 22:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binnacle View Post
An interesting point - is a weapon a good memorial to the dead?

At least we are having a 30th anniversary and not a celebration I suppose.

Ok back on topic - is the ship self financing, does she need dry docked, what condition is the hull in shell and scantlings, are the ships side penetrations diminuted, is the asbestos stabilised and compliant with the latest legislation, does she meet all extant safety and access standards - I dont know - but it has to be taken into consideration- I'm not saying all the above are not the case, just asking the questions.
Old 12th April 2012, 22:54

We dry docked her a few years ago. The hull was in unexpected good condition.
HMS Plymouth always made a profit on her own.

Our problems started when the trust took on too many other ships.
Old 12th April 2012, 23:14
Department: Engineering

Quote:
We dry docked her a few years ago. The hull was in unexpected good condition.
HMS Plymouth always made a profit on her own.

Our problems started when the trust took on too many other ships.
Ok so I take it it doesn't need any steel replacement then - good start. How about the other stuff?
Old 12th April 2012, 23:21

Most of the mentioned items yes. however I need to find out what Peel have done.

Soon I will be able to give you all a lot more info.
Old 13th April 2012, 01:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgen View Post
Yes HMS Brilliant has been towed to the breakers, there are some photos on here of her under tow.
Thanks. I'll have a look for them.
Old 13th April 2012, 03:56

hey Laurence, did you happen to get any photos of the Plymouth when she was in dry dock a few years ago? The last time I saw her she was at millbay docks in Plymouth, pretty much everything was complete and most of the electronics/radar were all operational. what was the state of all the electronics during her final years on show? Also, does she still have the wasp?

here is a link to the other petition running right now in Plymouth

http://www.petition.co.uk/hmsplymouth/

Cheers

Last edited by Macca : 13th April 2012 at 04:08.
Old 13th April 2012, 05:27
Stevo Stevo is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1989 - 2001

Is there an organisation ready to take the ship over if Peel relent?
Old 13th April 2012, 10:45

Ans to MACCA

I was the only one who bothered to take photos of her when we dry docked her.

I have loads of them.

Also yes everything onboard was working and intact.

I spent most of my 15 years as Project co-ordinaitor putting all the gear back onboard and can tell you as I have said elsewhere all of it was in working order.

Laurence
Old 13th April 2012, 12:47

Wasn't the issue with Plymouth over the past two years or so the fact that a public accessible berth/mooring couldn't be found?
Has that changed? If the money was available and Peel relented, where would she go?
Old 13th April 2012, 21:30

Hi guys I've been onboard HMS Plymouth today 13/04/12.

Peel Ports have been trying thier best to keep here secure but there have been some break in's. (no damage though ).

Went through a large part of the ship. Many museum artifacts removed by WBC (sometimes not to gentley).

However remainder of the ships equipment is totally intact and therfore as we left it in working order. (a point to bear in mind for any rescue plan).

There is some water inside, patches near the sickbay,crews galley on 2 deck, officers cabin flat on 3 deck and outside the SCR on 1 deck.

This is all rainwater, so far it has caused no damage.

Shone my torch into Engine Room bilge, it appears dry.

I have photos of today onboard and I will put them in the gallery on this site once I shrink them down enough ( They are HD )

More to follow ....... Laurence.
Old 13th April 2012, 21:58
Active: 1960 - 2010

Well done
Old 13th April 2012, 22:16

Quote:
Hi guys I've been onboard HMS Plymouth today 13/04/12.

Peel Ports have been trying thier best to keep here secure but there have been some break in's. (no damage though ).

Went through a large part of the ship. Many museum artifacts removed by WBC (sometimes not to gentley).

However remainder of the ships equipment is totally intact and therfore as we left it in working order. (a point to bear in mind for any rescue plan).

There is some water inside, patches near the sickbay,crews galley on 2 deck, officers cabin flat on 3 deck and outside the SCR on 1 deck.

This is all rainwater, so far it has caused no damage.

Shone my torch into Engine Room bilge, it appears dry.

I have photos of today onboard and I will put them in the gallery on this site once I shrink them down enough ( They are HD )

More to follow ....... Laurence.
Nice one Laurence. Do Peel Ports know that this sale is not very popular and will they give organisations more time to try and sort something out to try and save her?
Old 14th April 2012, 00:03

ans to MARKGEN

Peel Ports are business people and what they would want is a realistic workable business plan.

Even though they think it is to late at this stage.

quote: " We would even think of selling the ship for 1.00"

but you need a workable realistic business plan.

I get the impression they think of her as a toxic problem that they would love to be rid of if someone could responsibly take her off thier hands.

Footnote

HMS Bronnington has had it she is beyond help. "Even if they were allowed to lift her out she is so bad she would very likely fall apart."

That is what appears to be a honest opinion from them and I think in this case you can trust them on that.

Laurence.
Old 14th April 2012, 07:53

Quote:
ans to MARKGEN

Peel Ports are business people and what they would want is a realistic workable business plan.

Even though they think it is to late at this stage.

quote: " We would even think of selling the ship for 1.00"

but you need a workable realistic business plan.

I get the impression they think of her as a toxic problem that they would love to be rid of if someone could responsibly take her off thier hands.

Footnote

HMS Bronnington has had it she is beyond help. "Even if they were allowed to lift her out she is so bad she would very likely fall apart."

That is what appears to be a honest opinion from them and I think in this case you can trust them on that.

Laurence.
I've seen some internal shots of Bronington and she does appear to be well past saving. It would appear that there is still a slim chance of saving Plymouth but I doubt very much that there is a business plan in place as it's always been down to a question of providing a suitable berth with full public access so it is very much a catch 22 situation, or so it would appear. She will need a lot of work doing on her externally at least judging by the latest photos that I have seen. Pleased to hear that she is reasonable internally. My petition has attracted interest but with less than 400 signatures it won't get government support, you need at least 10,000. The seperate one for bringing HMS Plymouth back to Plymouth had less than 200 the last time I looked. On the face of it it doesn't look too good does it?