RFA Resource - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
19:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

RFA Resource

Old 9th November 2011, 20:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2010

Rfa Resource

Quote:
Originally Posted by japottinger View Post
Built by Scotts' of Greenock. Any one out there sailed on her, spent a few years in DO on design of her turbines and pipework at AEI and Scotts'.
[QUOTE=Kenny:I sailed on the Resource 27/08/88 joining in Glen Douglas and left her 6/3/89 in drydock North Shields. Enjoyed my time on her but took a while to get used to her derricks as the last time i worked them was in the 60s. Dont know what happened to her in the end was she sold to the Indians is she still on the go or has she been scrapped i would like to find out what happened to her as i like to find out what the ships i served on how they finished up
Old 12th November 2011, 17:35

Renamed Resourceful for the delivery run to Alang, she sailed from Devonport to India under her own steam and arrived at the breakers in late August 1997.
Old 12th November 2011, 18:06
Department: Engineering
Active: 1978 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purser52 View Post
Renamed Resourceful for the delivery run to Alang, she sailed from Devonport to India under her own steam and arrived at the breakers in late August 1997.
I remember seeing her de storing in the Forth not long before that, at Crombie Pier, iirc

She was taken out to India by a delivery crew, not RFA, I think? I heard some stories in that regard
Old 8th January 2012, 23:11

Resource

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitwobbly View Post
Having served many a year on both Regent and Resource, I found them to be very happy ships, I absolutely loved the old girls.
As an Engineer they were well designed with loads of steam crossovers so any leaks could be repaired. Only ever remember having one major breakdown when LP turbine rotor self destructed after a prolonged period on immediate notice (turning by steam) in Ascension when refuelling. Disconnected LP rotor and cross compounded HP exhaust directly into condenser, got us home nicely. Couldn't go astern though..........

As far as the leccy motors were concerned, most in the engine room were water cooled with sea water, often corroded and leaked, may explain large number of rewinds.

Happy days.

Dave
Hello Dave, I hope the LP cyl. cover contained the rotor when it blew up as I did the drawings for it!
Jim
Old 9th January 2012, 16:17
dab dab is offline   SN Supporter

I served as a "Leckie" twice on Resource including her first year of service. As a new ship we did not have any corrosive problems with the E/R water cooled motors, but once we were on a buoy in the river Tagus and after heavy rain the intakes for the cooling water blocked up with debris washed downstream. I remember engineers in the bilges opening up flanges on the cooling pipes and removing all manner of foliage, timber etc.

Dave Burns.
Old 14th January 2012, 01:58

I saw a documentary on TV a few years ago about either Regent or Resource going to the breakers in India. It was taken out by a RFA crew.(I'm not sure about that) The captain ordered full speed ahead and ran it on to the beach. The crew then climbed down a rope ladder and left. The captain said it was the best fun he'd had in his seagoing career.. The breakers started work with the gas axes immediately.

Last edited by Norm : 14th January 2012 at 02:07.
Old 17th March 2012, 21:50
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration

Hi I don't know if any of you guys can help me, but I'm trying to find an old pen friend who as far as I'm aware is still serving with the RFA. At the time when I knew him in 1996/97, he was serving on the RFA Resource in the Balkans (Croatia I believe the ship was based in for most of the tour away)then went on to serve on the RFA Fort Victoria and the RFA Fort George. His name is Patrick Hughes and is from Dumbartonshire he should be in his early/mid forties now. He was an STO(N). Unfortunately we lost contact after I got married to my now ex husband and it would be nice to hear if he's okay and how his life has turned out so far. Can anyone help? If you can please message me on here. Many Thanks Antoinette Cooper (nee Benison)
Old 19th March 2012, 13:26

Hi Jim,

Yup! you did a good job there,
The LP cover contained all the debris although we had some fun removing what was left of the blades. They were like marbles in the bottom of the casing where they'd come loose and run around the stages. Didn't 'arf vibrate a lot.

It's a testament to good robust design that we still managed to steam home after such a catastrophic failure,

happy days.
Old 14th April 2012, 11:35
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1984 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
I saw a documentary on TV a few years ago about either Regent or Resource going to the breakers in India. It was taken out by a RFA crew.(I'm not sure about that) The captain ordered full speed ahead and ran it on to the beach. The crew then climbed down a rope ladder and left. The captain said it was the best fun he'd had in his seagoing career.. The breakers started work with the gas axes immediately.
I can confirm that Resource was not sailed to India with RFA Crew. I work with an Engineer who took her down with a commercial crew. Andy
Old 14th April 2012, 13:49
Active: 1964 - 2010

Rfa Resource

Hi everyone thanks for that information about Resource, i knew she went to the breakers in India but that was all i had on her about final voyage Kenny MacRitchie
Old 18th August 2013, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoR View Post
When I was there they were called toe Regret and Remorse, not tongue in cheek either. No doubt a great posting for the Naval stores folk, maybe a little different for yer actual seamen.
Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh. You ok mmmmmmate. Are you sure something more sinister didn't happen to you ?
After 30 odd years you seem very bitter over your RFA experiences. I suspect you may have suffered some kind of " physical abuse " that you've kept hidden all these years. Although I thought that you "actual " seaman loved that kind of thing.
Or if it was just a bit of bs that you couldn't handle then I do apologise
Old 5th November 2013, 13:22
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1977 - 1984

The Resource was my very first ship, joined her in Berkenhead dry dock on June 8th. 1977 as a Catering boy, fresh out of Gravesend, got promoted to Assistant Steward in the December, stopped with her for the run to America in 1978 finally paid off ( before I was thrown off !) in August '78.
I believe the Captains name was Averill (?) followed by Harlcombe.