Salvesen whaling - Ships Nostalgia
17:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Salvesen whaling

Old 29th August 2010, 12:50

Salvesen whaling

Salvesen was a major player in the whaling and am intresert in old photos from the ships and the people on board.
Old 8th September 2010, 11:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1974 - Present

My old mentor, Captain James Lough of the China Navigation Co Ltd, began his career at sea with Salvesens. Jimmy was descended from a long line of Eyemouth fishermen but his father advised him to go deep sea as there was no future in fishing, so he applied to Ben Line but was told he had to provide his own sextant, which funds did not run to, so he joined Salvesens, initially on their coasters, later on the factory "Southern Harvester" as 2/O before transferring to CNCo, where in due course he retired as Fleet Manager.

Jimmy had a slightly jaundiced view of Norwegians because in Salvesens only Norwegians were allowed to drive the catchers, and he wanted to. His seamanship was certainly quite outstanding, as he later proved.
Old 16th September 2010, 18:57

there were 2 Whalers belonging to Salvesens in 1962/3. One was the Southern Harvester the other Southern? I remember seeing the Southern Harvester In Brigham anf Cowans dd South Shields some time 62/63. The Shields gazzette may be a good place to seek photos and reminiences
Old 16th September 2010, 19:05

My location
Greetings,

Southern Harvester, Venture, Opal, Reaper but not too sure of the dates

Pat Thompson
Fair Winds and Following Seas

You can't get enough photos of "O'Boats"
www.rfa-association.org.uk
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Royal-...44215142275876
Old 16th September 2010, 19:55

[quote=Andrew Craig-Bennett;453565]My old mentor, Captain James Lough of the China Navigation Co Ltd, began his career at sea with Salvesens.

James Lough joined Salvesen's Culter as cadet about 51/52 tramping around the world. The master "Paddy" Hunter was one of the old school, He insisted that the course blackboard in the wheelhouse be altered each time course was altered. Being a smarty pants third mate I thought that this was unnecessary during the hours of darkness as the helmsman couldn't see it. I was out on the bridge wing one night when old Paddy appeared and asked me what course we were steering. On being informed of the course he reckoned the helmsman, cadet Lough, was not steering this course. I immediately went into the wheelhouse and inquired from Cadet Lough what course he was steering, he replied giving the course steered prior to last alteration. I shone the torch on the steering board which fortunately showed the new course. On informing the cadet that he was steering the prior to alteration course he immediatel replied that there had been no course changes since he came to the wheel. Paddy knew that apart from the log book entry I would hardly alter the wheelhouse board without issueing the necessary instruction to the helmsman, and bawled out the cadet. I realised then that I could learn a lot from this Old Man. This is not a criticism of Lough who was a good and willing cadet, just an incident in the learning process for Lough and myself. I was glad to see from your post that he did well.
Happy times.
Old 16th September 2010, 20:36

Andrew, the Norwegian Skippers/Master's also fired the gun as I understand it, giving hand signals to the Driver who took over.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 7th October 2010, 14:05

Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by stby View Post
Salvesen was a major player in the whaling and am intresert in old photos from the ships and the people on board.
Book - Salvesen Of Leith by Wray Vamplew, is an excellent book.... Phil Polson (R549167)
Old 7th October 2010, 16:31

As an aside, my dad took me and my twin bro to see the Southern havester and the kister dan plus some catchers in gladstone dock Liverpool in the early 50s thru the gates right up alongside and the smell would knock you over, the the slop chesters alongside the gates did a roaring trade with with the crews
I always thought they were hero's becouse of MOBY DICK the book Tony
Old 8th October 2010, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Thompson View Post
Greetings,

Southern Harvester, Venture, Opal, Reaper but not too sure of the dates
It was 'Southern Venturer', Pat.

There are several photos from my father's time with Salvesens in the early '50s in my photo gallery.

Al
Old 15th April 2012, 13:08

Salvasens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAllen View Post
As an aside, my dad took me and my twin bro to see the Southern havester and the kister dan plus some catchers in gladstone dock Liverpool in the early 50s thru the gates right up alongside and the smell would knock you over, the the slop chesters alongside the gates did a roaring trade with with the crews
I always thought they were hero's becouse of MOBY DICK the book Tony
Yes I recall her at that time in Gladstone, My old fellers cousin was in one of her sister ships, Southern Princess, torpedoed in 1942, he survived. And your right about the stink, my auntie Rose could smell it in her house a good half mile away, still at least ships looked like ships in those days, not there powered mess tins you see today.
Old 22nd April 2012, 15:24

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by stby View Post
There is a book by Tom Gordon "Whalers thoughts Remembered" came out a few years ago,well worth a read,all about the whaling expeditions down at South Georgia with Salvesen.
Old 22nd April 2012, 15:36

Some good pictures in the recent book about Alan Bristow, he started off flying helicopters to spot whales