Globtik Tankers - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
22:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Globtik Tankers

Old 14th June 2010, 15:08

Hi,I'm Richy Davis and I sailed on the Globtik Tokyo in 1974-------anyone remember me?
Old 20th June 2010, 11:48

Were you a Jnr or 4th Eng on the Tokyo, Richy?
Old 10th July 2010, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bennett View Post
Hi Paul, i am also trying to find people from globitks, i was junior , then 4th engineer, i am not sure if we sailed togther but i am better on faces than names, it was good to read some of the peoples names that you know, was the chief engineer you were trying to think of kieth stanton ? i sailed with pete mills " the gentle giant " (dont know what happened to him ) and i hold John Latka in very high esteem and would love an address for him and any of the other lads, including the " The King of Canvey Island " Mr cobb with his side kicks bushy and potts, Kieth Marsh, richard thewlis and of course my very good friend Alan Tyrell, i havent got his address either but i am sure that if you have any of the geordie lot address's i can find alan, i am also going to find all my photos , i never heard anything about a third engineer murdering his wife but i did sail with one that stole money from kieth marsh's office then told the captain it was me ! when it was actually him who stole it and i cant remember his name either ! well i hope you have a safe trip back from Kakakhstan, cheers paul bennett
does anyone remember my dad john smith, who was ab on the tokyo maiden voyage 1973?
Old 18th November 2010, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
Were you a Jnr or 4th Eng on the Tokyo, Richy?
Hi Luigi, i was a junior, only done four & a half months.......
Old 18th November 2010, 15:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post
does anyone remember my dad john smith, who was ab on the tokyo maiden voyage 1973?
I sailed with an AB/bosun in Uglands by the name of Ian Smith, he worked on the Globtik ships, he was from the north east.
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:14

Quote:
just been reading some messages and noticed yours i was also on the maiden voyage with your dad i was one of the deck boys "scouse"it was my first trip. i think ive got a photo of the deck dept taken in the
hotel in london before we flew out to join the ship
Old 11th December 2010, 06:52

Stan Pascoe, C/E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine_p View Post
Hi, Im trying to trace my grandfather, he was called stanley pascoe, Who I believe was a chief engineer or even a super for globtik tankers back in the 70's.
Due to my Grandparents divorcing, I have never met him. I would like to find any information that could lead me to find him.
Many Thanks
Janine Pascoe
Hi Janine,
This is a late reply to your question about your grandad. I sailed with Stan Pascoe in 1975 when he was chief engineer on the Globtik London. A fine man. He gave me £200 one time as I went on leave to buy him an engagement ring in the UK for his Japanese fiancee. This I did, and when he left the ship in Japan he was due to marry the Japanese girl.
Regards, Ernie Lamb (formerly C/O, Globtik Tokyo)
Old 25th December 2010, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragbag View Post
just been reading some messages and noticed yours i was also on the maiden voyage with your dad i was one of the deck boys "scouse"it was my first trip. i think ive got a photo of the deck dept taken in the
hotel in london before we flew out to join the ship
I've just seen your reply, I would love to see those photos. My dad is still alive but in poor health, he still talks about it to this day and misses being at sea. Please get in touch! Thank you and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Best wishes

Last edited by micky : 25th December 2010 at 20:33.
Old 1st March 2011, 23:38
Department: Purser
Active: 1971 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicH View Post
Hi Ken.. only just spotted this today so apologise for the late reply.
These are the names of guys I actually sailed with in my 6yrs with Globtik:

Captains; Doug Hindle, Ken Mackay, A. Maclean, Ian Sadler (and trish), Charles Scudamore, Tyler.

Deck offs; Geoff Gregory(c/o then master), Richard Hunt, Tim West(c/o then master), Peter Torr, John Latka, Pete Humphreys, Peter Mills, Dave Berry, Malcolm George, Ernie Lamb, Paul Tillman, Pete Mason, Paul Stillitano (luigi), Godwin Batteren (nigerian),

Engineers; Stan Pascoe, J. Rennison, Ian Mackay, J. Smith, George Simpson, Tom Blackburn, Keith Standon, Bill Hanson, Jack Emmett, P. Williams, Dick Thewlis, Brian DeWolf, M. Oldfield, Bill Smith, Pete Gregory, P. Fuller, G. Adams, Geoff Peacock, W. Reid, I. Bryant, Wee Jimmy Henderson, Colin Blyth, J. Cliff, M. MacMonagle, Paul Bennett (taken off by americans after head injury), Barry Bennett, Denis Haig, Steve Royle, Paddy Parker, Graham Allen, Kevin Finnegan,

Electricians; John Fay, T. Durkin, Billy Tarr, Peter Weir, Alan Tyrell.

Cat/offs; Stan Thompson, Colin Cox, A. Saunders, Keith Marsh

Radio/offs; Ray Halpin, P. Chadwick, M. Gannon, E. Artingstol.

Crew; Brian Bush, Billy Potts, Jim Brown, Frankie Cobb, Tom Ferguson, Paddy ? (irish bosun),

I can picture a few more but just cannot recall their names, like the Welsh pumpman (Taffy ?) who stayed on the Tokyo I think for well over a year so as to reclaim income tax. Another pumpman, big Dave ?. Another bosun, from London area, well spoken guy.

The last couple of years I didn't keep the records going and I regret that now because there are a lot more names I haven't included.. but, maybe someone who reads this may be able to add to the list.

So.. how many of the above can you remember ??

Cheers for now

Vic
Hi Vic, my name is John Dawson and I was did a couple of voyages on Globtik Tokyo from 1978 until the ships were sold in 1979. They were great ships and I really enjoyed sailing on them. I remember you well, not only as a fellow native of Wirral but because when I was a steward looking after your cabin there was a notable lack of photographs of your wife but several of two of the cutest Yorkshire Terriers you could hope to see. I have a few more names for your list which may be of use to you and other members. The two assistant stewards I remember were Phil Upton and Brian Robbitt who had been promoted from catering boy the trip that I joined. I became second cook after the first trip and relieved a lad from Liverpool named Keith Bigland. The chief cook I worked with was a Wlsh chap called Lenny although his surname escapes me. Our galley boy was a lad from Fleetwood called Craig Goldsmithwho liked to be called Billy. That became academic though when, because of his permed hair, big Dave Bryan called him Bubbles and the name stuck. Tim West hated but then, he did call the skipper an anal orifice or words to that effect. I remember Billy Potts had a little mate called Ronnie Efford who I never recall seeing sober. The Irish bosun you mention was Paddy Grainger who sometimes brought his wife Yolande with him. The two chief stewards I sailed with were John Baddely who had his wife Midge with him and John Brown. I remember a lot more of the lads by their christian names but that's it. I left the Merchant Navy in 1983 having spent four years with Panocean Anco, My last voyage being on the Anco Charger to the Falkland Islands during the war down there. I went back to college, then to university and I now work as a primary school teacher up here on the Wirral. Glad to know there are still so many of the lads in good health and doing well.
Best wishes,
John.
Old 1st June 2011, 23:03

Hi John,

A few of the names you mentioned I remember, so many happy memories.

I remember Derek Robson (deck lad) and Barry (steward), Alan Neilson (AB) and Frank Cobb (bosun).

Remember the trip to Christmas Island and the deck games we played with the officers on route.

Still trying to get hold of as many pictures as possible so if anyone has any could you please upload them or email them.

Do you know if the GL and GT retained their names after they were sold??

Ken
Old 15th April 2012, 21:52
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1977 - 1980

Tokyo

Hi I sailed on the Tokyo in the late 70's. I was a catering boy at the time. The chef was a geordie known as Globtik Bob (a brilliant guy). Remember the bosun Frank and Dennis an able seaman and the steward Steve. Remember the horse racing in the crew bar (5p for a beer - oh those were the days when a weeks bar bill was less than a couple of quid). Sailed on the maiden voyage of the new ship too, although not such a hppy place as the big girls.
Old 15th April 2012, 21:57
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1977 - 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arf View Post
Hi Vic, my name is John Dawson and I was did a couple of voyages on Globtik Tokyo from 1978 until the ships were sold in 1979. They were great ships and I really enjoyed sailing on them. I remember you well, not only as a fellow native of Wirral but because when I was a steward looking after your cabin there was a notable lack of photographs of your wife but several of two of the cutest Yorkshire Terriers you could hope to see. I have a few more names for your list which may be of use to you and other members. The two assistant stewards I remember were Phil Upton and Brian Robbitt who had been promoted from catering boy the trip that I joined. I became second cook after the first trip and relieved a lad from Liverpool named Keith Bigland. The chief cook I worked with was a Wlsh chap called Lenny although his surname escapes me. Our galley boy was a lad from Fleetwood called Craig Goldsmithwho liked to be called Billy. That became academic though when, because of his permed hair, big Dave Bryan called him Bubbles and the name stuck. Tim West hated but then, he did call the skipper an anal orifice or words to that effect. I remember Billy Potts had a little mate called Ronnie Efford who I never recall seeing sober. The Irish bosun you mention was Paddy Grainger who sometimes brought his wife Yolande with him. The two chief stewards I sailed with were John Baddely who had his wife Midge with him and John Brown. I remember a lot more of the lads by their christian names but that's it. I left the Merchant Navy in 1983 having spent four years with Panocean Anco, My last voyage being on the Anco Charger to the Falkland Islands during the war down there. I went back to college, then to university and I now work as a primary school teacher up here on the Wirral. Glad to know there are still so many of the lads in good health and doing well.
Best wishes,
John.
Hi John. I remember you well mate and it was great to get a mentioon in one of these posts. I am Brian Robbitt the catering boy. I also remember Keith well too. God mate that was 30 years ago ) Sounds like you have had an interesting time of things; bit thiose were the days eh and I was too young to know it!
Old 17th October 2012, 21:48

Quote:
I've just seen your reply, I would love to see those photos. My dad is still alive but in poor health, he still talks about it to this day and misses being at sea. Please get in touch! Thank you and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Best wishes
sorry mick as you can see from the time it has taken me to reply i havent been on this site for a long time ,i will have to work out how to get the photos on to here ,how is your dad doing ok i hope
Old 4th November 2012, 22:00

Hi Scouse, hope you are okay! Cheers for the reply, old fella still going in force nine, hope you are well, get in touch soon. Kind regards, Micky.
Old 3rd February 2013, 21:41
Department: Purser
Active: 1971 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
Hi John. I remember you well mate and it was great to get a mentioon in one of these posts. I am Brian Robbitt the catering boy. I also remember Keith well too. God mate that was 30 years ago ) Sounds like you have had an interesting time of things; bit thiose were the days eh and I was too young to know it!
Hi Brian,
Great to hear from you. Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I haven't looked at the site in over a year. You are absolutely right, those were the days, only 21, a happier time and a fantastic bunch of lads to work with. I really enjoy teaching but I always look back on my days in the Merchant Navy with great fondness and if I am honest, a little sadness. You just don't seem to find people you can depend on like your shipmates when you come ashore. Hope you are in good health, I seem to remember you were quite a handy boxer. Anyway, look forward to your reply.
Stay lucky,
John.
Old 3rd February 2013, 22:17

My location
I never sailed on them, but I vividly recall sailing past the Globtik London at 'Nasty Rasty' in 1977. It was sailing past an island. A few weeks later we put into Naples, where the then-new aircraft carrier USS Nimitz was anchored. One of her crew boasted that it was the largest ship in the world. I told him that I'd recently seen the Globtik London and that, for sheer size, the Nimitz simply wasn't even in the running.

There also happens to be a model of the Globtik London on display, in a very large glass case, in the lobby of the Maritime Institute of Technology and Graduate Studies in Maryland. Even that is an impressive sight.
Old 31st March 2013, 19:27

globtic tankers

i sailed on both ships in the seventis i remember quite a few names vic hubbard frank cobb paddy grainger brian bush billy potts john fitzpatrick phil upton dave bryant allan wells taffy biscuit the dog i think vic hubbard lived near me in wigan
Old 8th April 2013, 03:52

I sailed with an ex-Globtik engineer named Gavin Carter, in Balder Offshore Canada in 1980. He told me that he had been on a Globtik tanker ("Globtik London"?) when it picked up a boatload of Vietnamese refugees in the China Sea. Anyone remember Gavin, or the "boat people" incident?
Old 16th April 2013, 22:45

Names Please

Dont know if this will work but here's a few photo's ( I Hope) from the 1970's -- Competition is name them. !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan 131060001.jpg (202.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Scan 131060000.jpg (192.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Scan 131060003.jpg (213.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Scan 131060004.jpg (230.2 KB, 96 views)
Old 16th April 2013, 23:00

Night of Head Injury and Medivac.

Well the last one worked, so here is another -- Names please and bonus point for name of American ship that evacuated the Engineer and Island he was taken to. ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan 131060007.jpg (194.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Scan 131060005.jpg (201.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Scan 131060006.jpg (169.9 KB, 88 views)
Old 17th April 2013, 09:03

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheddy View Post
Well the last one worked, so here is another -- Names please and bonus point for name of American ship that evacuated the Engineer and Island he was taken to. ???
Third photo, second person from left is Billy Tarr lecky from chesterfield.

Dave
Old 25th April 2013, 03:20
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 1984

Hiya To All
I dont know if anyone remembers me
I was on both these great ships in the 70s
Great memories
As they say the good old days well they were
I was Jnr Eng in those days
Now Offshore still on the tools
Its good to read the stories
Good luck to all and hope to get some replies
Stay safe
Steve
Old 30th April 2013, 14:47
Super Moderator
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Steve,

on behalf of the Moderating team welcome to SN. Enjoy all we have to offer.

Hawkey01
Old 8th May 2013, 15:15

Smile globtic tankers

hi i sailed on the tokyo twice 1974 and 1979 on the london 1976 1977 i recall a few names franky cobb bosun billy potts brian bush allan wells.taffy whos real name was gareth ryan williams.rob armstrong phil upton who was a very good friend of mine.big dave bryant.2 deck boys cant recall their names i think one was called phil goddard we used to call them sunbeam and moon beam.i remember a little chap called joe young and deffo biscuit the dog with his lifejacket.i think the 2nd mate was paul stillitano memory not as good as it was nearly 40 years ago ha did anyone sail with globtic on these dates.
Old 11th May 2013, 08:52

Facebook link

Hi All,

I created a facebook page a couple of years ago for the two old ladies of the seas.

Come and join and post you experiences and share photos.

Search for Globtik Tankers or click on the link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/24919743355/

Ken