Years ago... - Ships Nostalgia
16:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Years ago...

Old 8th May 2012, 22:38
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1976

Years ago...

I was a photo major in college back in the mid '70's, lots of B&W 35mm film. Haven't done any of that for years though.

Been using simple digital for some time now, play with the camera settings a bit to dial things in, use an editing program to crop, resize, and manipulate the images some, usually just bump contrast and saturation a little and that's it. I have never really learned how to master any Photoshop program.

My question is about digital vs film. I used a lot of filters with film for contrast mod (red filter for sky/cloud, etc). Does a digital camera in B&W mode react the same way to a colored filter? Does any software act on a B&W/desaturated pic like a colored filter would? If viable, are there any colored filters for digital pocket cameras?
Old 10th May 2012, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgpobog View Post
I was a photo major in college back in the mid '70's, lots of B&W 35mm film. Haven't done any of that for years though.

Been using simple digital for some time now, play with the camera settings a bit to dial things in, use an editing program to crop, resize, and manipulate the images some, usually just bump contrast and saturation a little and that's it. I have never really learned how to master any Photoshop program.

My question is about digital vs film. I used a lot of filters with film for contrast mod (red filter for sky/cloud, etc). Does a digital camera in B&W mode react the same way to a colored filter? Does any software act on a B&W/desaturated pic like a colored filter would? If viable, are there any colored filters for digital pocket cameras?
That got me thinking - I had heard of a mount for 'A' size filters made by Cokin. (and I still have a stack of A size filters).

A quick search turned up This brochure

The last time I used black and white film it was Ilford XP2 which is C41 process - So I would take it into a high street photo lab and got machine printed pictures with a random colour cast, which rather defeated the object.

When you think about digital photos rendered in B&W the same thing applies in that the sensor is intended to work primarily in Red Green and Blue; So trying to take away the colour gives the processor more to think about.

I would guess that the main filters that you could try would be Grads, special effects, neutral density, and of course, Polarising - but circular not linear with auto focus.
Pretty well everything else that we used to do with filters can be done in the computer.
If you are looking for a good freeware image program then try Gimp, it is quite simple to use and there are forums online to help.