Kota Singapura - Ships Nostalgia
22:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Kota Singapura

Old 22nd December 2007, 08:07

Red face Kota Singapura

Would any fellow nostalgia shipmates have any knowledge of the history of a passenger ship by the name of Kota Singapura.
I sailed on her in 1972 from Fremantle to Singapore.
At the time she was used as a charter vessel for a "ship-jet" connection between Australia and Great Britain, aimed at the popular backpacker age group.
Unfortunately the venture was poorly run, with the vessel regularly overbooked, and air connections "iffy" to say the least, and the company sunk late that same year.
Hopefully someone has a better memory than I do now.
Old 22nd December 2007, 08:17
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Try this web page

http://www.ssmaritime.com/tjiluwah.htm
Old 22nd December 2007, 08:37

Many thanks gdynia! Mystery solved- and memories come flooding back.
Old 17th December 2011, 13:14
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Fishing
Active: 1910 - 2010

I know it's been a few years since you asked the question, but I have only just found this site!! I sailed on the Kota Singapura in 1977 (with my family), perth to singapore, with a load of sheep below us (we were on c deck), and returned around end of october beginning of november and that was supposed to be her last cruise. She broke down twice from memory, once for nearly 2 days? There were also problems with the airconditioning and there was a bit of flooding in the public bathrooms. Very fond memories, very friendly crew.
Old 17th December 2011, 14:45
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Christmas and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:13
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 2001 - 2005

Kota Singapura

I too travelled Kota Singapura from Perth to Singapore in 1977, departing Fremantle on 22nd May when I was 11.
We did have onward flight problems in Singapore, we did have one breakdown at sea and the lower decks were filled with sheep aft and cattle fore, but the overall experience was a good one. We had a B Deck cabin. The Kota Singapura experience was a lasting memory. It was intimate, and I was very aware. The main dining room was very special. Intimate, efficient and impeccable service and food. The crew were exceptionally friendly. I do remember us all being very concerned on the day of life boat drill as the pulleys and launching equipment looked to be completely seized up with rust and repaints.
Old 26th January 2012, 15:46
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings kotaqe2singapura and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 26th January 2012, 17:56

Kota Singapura

id 5362506. Built 1951 by Van Der Geissen. Krimpen a/d Ijssel. as TJILUWAH. 1972 KOTA SINGAPURA. scrapped Kaohsiung 11/12/79.
Old 29th March 2014, 03:07
Department: Office / Administration

Kota Cockroach

We travelled on The Kota Singapura, September 1977, from Freo to Singapore, where we flew SAS to Copenhagen, & BA to London. This was known as Ship Jet, a very cheap way to travel to the UK. We nicknamed it the Kota Cockroach for obvious reasons. We were 4 lads on our first expedition Overseas. A round of 4 cans of beer were approximately $2. (duty free). Our cabin was foreward of the restaurant. One night I walked on deck & it was packed with sheep, a kiwis dream come true. The reason for being a cheap cruise, was the fact we shared the ship with livestock. Very romantic when u step on deck for a breath of fresh air. The plumbing & aircond were dodgy. But a very memorable cruise for a young impressionable lad, followed by a stopover in Singapore & a night out at boogey street.
Old 29th March 2014, 09:57
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
I have heard of, and experienced, vessels that were described as "chatty but cheerful," but this is the first I have heard of a passenger vessel fitting that description. Could there be others?