Ships Nostalgia banner

Chrome Rings/Liners etc

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Ian J. Huckin 
#1 ·
O.K. here is a good one to chew over...what are your experiences with the variables of chrome or cast iron rings used in chrome or cast iron liners?

(Smoke)

#2 ·
As an apprentice working on diesel engines in the late 1940's, I progressed to working on the engine test beds. I seem to remember that any problems we had with piston seizures, were those with chrome piston rings. I don't remember any seize ups of the SG cast iron rings.
Maybe chrome piston rings were relatively new around this time on (say) 12" dia. pistons. I'm sure some member will be able to comment much more on this topic.

Ron.

#4 ·
Well, I thought this would be provoking. What I was aiming at was that if you put chrome rings in a chrome liner disaster will ensue. I had a 10,500hp V16 Enterprise self destruct after a crankcase exposion caused by the company overhauling the engine putting a chrome liner in the engine when we were meant to be using all CI liners with chrome rings.

You can use CI rings in a chrome liner, or CI rings in a CI liner but not chrome on chrome.....

#6 ·
Ian - The mind boggles! - Now we've got the full story.
It reminds me of an engine coming off the assembly line, when someone had omitted to fit the piston rings to the piston.
A subsequent report from the chief engineer contained just the criptic comment - "I am appalled!" (MAD)

#7 ·
Good point Chris, and that brings up the topic of using silver alloy gudgeon pin bearings when using a crankcase lubricant containing a ZZDP additive....what happens? and what is the only medium speed diesel engine that uses those silver alloy bearings?

Life is good....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.