Ships Nostalgia banner

Huge Forum !! Please Assist ( Deck Plans PERSIC 1899)

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Gulpers 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone

This is a huge Forum !!!

New here so would appreciate if someone can please tell me where I can get Deck Plans for Persic 1899 WSL (White Star Line) or where I should post such a question ...

Thanks for the Help !!

With

#5 · (Edited)
Deck (general arrangement) and also the rigging profile drawings are stored in the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum who also have a large collection of photographs of the vessel available. I must caution you however the museum is notoriously slow at responding to requests for copies of ships plans or photographs and much persistance (and patience) is required to obtain these items. I'm sorry but I can't advise you on their current reproduction charges.

The web site may be found at www.nmni.com however the snail mail address is 153 Bangor Road, Holywood, BT18 0EU, Northern Ireland.

Some vessel details you may find useful:

Persic built by Harland and Wolff Belfast Yard Number 325 Launched 7th September 1899 delivered 16th November 1899 11973 gross tons to the order of Oceanic Steamship Navigation (White Star) Company.

P.S. A warm welcome to this wonderful site.

#9 · (Edited)
IRONIC !!! and really Cool ( if this term is used everywhere )

As you can see I'm from South Africa and as such was born a "South African Boer" (Boer = White , Afrikaans Speaking person)

Ironic because PERSIC actually transported English troops to fight against the Boers (My Interest in the ship) ..... and see who is helping me ... People from England (UK ) hee hee ...

THANKS EVERYONE ! I will follow up on the leads ..hope to get a bit more in case it does not work out ...

Ohh.... all above said with tongue in cheek and a huge smile ....

(POP)

With

Thanks Tom (Tmac1720) I will follow up , much appreciated. , Did E-mail them ...now we wait ....(National Museums Northern Ireland)

Some More Info ........

Sister of the Afric, Persic was launched on 7th September, 1899 and handed over to WS on 16th November. She commenced her maiden voyage to Sydney on 7th December. On her first voyage she carried 500 troops to Cape Town where her rudder stock broke and she had to wait there until a replacement was shipped out from Harland & Wolff's (Belfast). When the voyage resumed in 1900 she repatriated wounded and sick Australian troops

On 26th October of that same year, she rescued the crew of the burning schooner Madura. During the period 1917 - 1919 she operated with the Medic under the Liner Requisition Scheme as a troop transport. In September, 1918, she was attacked and torpedoed by the german submarine U-87 off of the Isles Of Scilly. Persic was able to move off under her own steam and leave the area. She reached port and was repaired.

In 1920 she was returned to WS and refitted and modernised. In 1926 Persic was refitted at Govan but unrepairable engine wear was diagnosed at that time. She left Liverpool on 26th September of that same year on her final voyage before being laid up. On 7th July, 1927, she was sold for £25,000 and left the Mersey for Hendrik Ido Ambacht in Holland where she was broken up.

http://white-star.50webs.com/persic.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.