Ships Nostalgia banner

Sand Wyvern

7K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  Meze 
#1 ·
Looking for any information on the "Sand Wyvern", I believe she was the ex "Sand Grebe" of South Coast Shipping. I joined her at Bolsons shipyard in Poole when she was bought by Wyvern Maritime of Padstow, Cornwall.
Hoping to find a photo also.

#2 ·
Vessel purchased from Wyvern whilst I believe at Padstow, by Westminster Gravels Ltd. of Southampton. (A subsidiary of Bos Kalis Westminster.) They then sailed it to Southampton for use in their various marine aggregate dredging operations. Later they were sold by Bos Kalis to ARC Marine Ltd. also of Southampton, (now Hansons Aggregates Marine). However I believe before these later events took place, Westminster Gravels Ltd. had disposed of the vessel to another operator in the Southampton area Messrs Bowen & Caines. I am unable to remember if it was later renamed.

#3 ·
She was ex Sand Grebe-73 and bought by T.J. Bowen, Freda Bowen & P. D. Caines in 1978. I gather that at one time in Westminster ownership it was intended to rename her PADSTONE, but this does not appear to have happened. Unofficially she was renamed SEA DRIVER on a restricted load line, but was generally in poor condition and at one stage carried a diesel generator in front of the bridge to provide for her electric drive. She was laid up at Marchwood in Aug 1984.
Gil.

#5 ·
There were 3 of the same class. Sand Dart ( P.K. Harris, Appledore),1957, Sand Grebe, 1959 and Sand Snipe (Bolson, Poole). The Sand Dart is still operating in Greek waters as Ireni 1. The difference was the Sand Dart had two Lister Blackstone engines onto one shaft whereas the others had single Crossleys. I sailed in the Snipe in 1963 with Captain Owens from Anglesey. There are photos of them in the Gallery.

#6 ·
Think that was the same one John. reckon I would have been on the "sand martin" at that time. have to check the dates in the book later. I know captain "John Campbell" was master of the Martin at that time though.

#7 ·
SAND GREBE (5310656) Bolson built 5.1959 was 2 x 4stroke 6-cyl Lister Blackstones (648bhp total) driving generators connected to electric motors fluid coupling and reverse reduction geared to single shaft. SAND SNIPE (5310709) from Bolsons had a 2stroke 6-cyl Crossley (590bhp) and SAND DART (6404363) from Harris had a similar diesel electric drive to the SAND GREBE. IRINI (ex Skorpios, Irini-89, Arco Dart-78, Pen Dart-73, Sand Dart-64) was re-engined in 1963 and fitted with a 4stroke 12-cyl Dorman (720bhp), and the electric drive scrapped.
Gil.

#8 ·
The Master of the "Grebe" when I was there, was Charlie Lock, quite a character, but a really good ship handler. Believe he was ex-RN, and ex-Everards, master on the "Grit" anyone remember him? I heard that they lost the Chief Engineer over the side off the Needles just after I left, an accident with a tow line, which flipped him over the side in a bight, he was a big guy, 18st. or more, and the Pilot boat could'nt lift him out of the water, out there.

#10 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. Yes, the 'Sand Wyvern' was the ex 'Sand Grebe', I joined her at Bolson's yard in Poole when she was bought by Wyvern Maritime of Padstow, Cornwall. We used to dredge off Hayle and run the cargo to Plymouth, rock and roll during the winter months ! we also spent some time dredging in Britanny. Once carried a cargo road chippings from the Neath River to Littlehampton. Happy Memories.

#12 ·
interestin thread so far lads.
Enjoyed my time with south cast shipping. Saw many of the "sand boats" but only ever worked on the two. the martin and the star.
Certainly i would do it all again. met some interesting shipmates there.

#14 ·
Capt Charlie Lock - Ex Hoveringhams

I Remember Charlie Lock Way Back Around 1972, He Was Then Master Of The Arco Tyne, And Ran A Pretty Tight Ship. I Think The Relief Mate At The Time Was Harry Pope, A Great Friend Of Mine, And Later Master Of Hoveringham I/city Of Bristol.

Pete

#16 ·
Bowen & Caine

Hi Gil. I knew Tom & Freda Bowen quite well, and sailed a couple of times with Tom in the Margaret Smith (Freda's full Maiden name) and the Mark Bowen (named after their son Mark) Mark Bowen bought my house from me, but now lives in Hamble. Capt Tom Bowen was a great and generous character, and a good ship handler.

Regards. Pete

#18 ·
The "Sand Wyvern" (ex "Sand Grebe") was a great little ship, happy crew. before joining her I was relief master on board the "Amey 1" which was later renamed "Arco Thames" I believe. My chief mate on the the "Wyvern" was a Nick Childs who had been in the fleet air arm, flying phantom jets !!! What a character ! He took over as master when I left, wondering whether any one ever came across him, never been able to locate him.
Cheers

#19 ·
Got a feeling he served as relief mate on the sandmartin at one time. the guy i am thinking of was certainly ex-RN and a heck of a character. great guy to work with. Think he was the same gut who painted the house flag on the bow of the grebe or snipe.

#20 ·
Hello Pete
As an observer inquiring about their business I always found Tom Bowen most helpful. The MARGARET SMITH was an ex "Empire", Empire Reaper. She was in a bit of state I gather at the end with wooden plugs in her bottom. As you know she eventually sank in June 1978 entering Cowes and was raised and towed over to Northam for breaking. MARK BOWEN was ex Chattenden a Naval Armament Vessel based at Chatham. She was also scrapped at Northam.
Gil.

#21 ·
Hello Gil
Very many thanks for the update. I must agree that the Margaret Smith was in a bit of a state in her latter years, and not too surprised when she sank.
The Margaret Smith had Railway carriage type windows complete with a leather opening strap, Tom was forever losing his lighted *** ends down the gap, he used to extinguish the *** by pouring his tea down the gap. A great character.

Regards. Pete

#22 ·
Before Tommy Bowen went into Ship Owning he was Master of the Sand Runner ex Empire Runner in the early 60's a fine seaman and a real character.
Margaret Smith ex Sand Wren 1969 ex Pen Adur 1964 ex Lerryn 1953 ex Moreton Corbet 1949 ex Browning 1947ex Empire Reaper 1943 I relieved on her twice, once as Pen Adur and once as Sand Wren

#23 ·
anyone know if that awful character "Benbow" is still alive.
Good on deck but a real pain ashore. always playing snooker in the mission in Southampton at the weekends..LOl
Would love to get in touch with capt John Campbell if anyone has an e mail address please PM it to me.

#24 · (Edited)
Billyboy, Sadly, Benbow passed away around 1982 in North Wales. I sailed with him in the 'Sand Snipe' and the 'Hoveringham V1' a reformed character, gave up the **** and booze for a lot of years. Capt Campbell, lived in Dover but was originally from the Buckie area. I sailed with his cousin in the 'Bowfleet' his name was John Smith, maybe you can try someone from that neck of the woods to help you out.
good luck

#26 ·
John Campbell and John Smith both hailed from Findochty, Banffshire.
Sadly, they are both away - John Campbell died in December 1984 in Dover and John Smith died about 4 years ago in Lossiemouth.

I was recently looking through old postcards from John Campbell on various ships, and he wrote them while on the following Sand boats - Gull, Martin, Skua, Swan, & Weaver.

Flett

#27 ·
I am sorry to hear of Johns passing away. I got on really well with him on the Martin. John was a real character, he handled the ship well, No radar in those days and fog never seemed to bother him much.
However I do still have good memories of my times with him. He was in Newhaven one day when i wandered passed, between ships, and he called "away and get yer Bag bill we sail in an hour"
Be interested to see any pictures if anyone has any.
Billyboy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.