Ships Nostalgia banner

RFA Reliant

9K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  RetiredPMSO 
#1 ·
Greetings all, I spent some time on RFA Reliant in the far east mid 60s. Anyone else out there. Also was on the Black Ranger out of Portland about 63.
Regards to all
Tom Hanley

#2 ·
Hello Tom,
I was aboard Black Ranger. Oct/Dec 1963. A Fireman then.
Tony (Jacky) Straw.

#5 ·
Hello Tom, Thanks for Your Greetings May I Return same. The Donkeyman on board whilst I was there was Bill Purvis does that ring a bell. He used make Me get on top of the Main Engine whilst under way to wipe down. Not much health and safety in those days. Rgds.

#8 ·
Dear Tom,

I was working in Singapore between 1965 to 1968 and partied often on RFA Reliant when she was in harbour. My friend Jane and myself were friends with 1st Officer David (Wiles, I think) and 3rd Officer Robbie ?. We knew the whole crew because we regularly took out the ship's whaler sailing and had many a beach party together. I can picture faces, but can't remember names; however, deep in my box of old photos, I have several pix of those times.

I also have several old RN photos of the ship out refueling the fleet. It would be fun to reconnect with anyone from those days.

I remember one New Year's Eve particularly, because several Navies had been on joint exercises and were now anchored in and around HMS Terror dockyard; an Aussie ship was docked astern of Reliant and so several of its crew members were invited aboard for the NYE party. I was conversing with one member who said he was from Perth, so I immediately mentioned that I had had a childhood friend from my part of UK whose family had emigrated there many years before and asked if knew of him. Before I could mention the name, this officer guffawed and said that he was constantly amazed how unaware the English were of Australia's size. I said that I had a reputation of meeting friends of friends where ever I was anywhere in the world so he asked the name. I provided it, but he shook his head. Just before midnight this officer called me over and said that as he noticed I drank little and so was steady on my feet would I be so kind as to take a glass of champagne over to his Duty Officer. I tell you, my childhood friend had not changed a scrap since he was 13 except in size!!! Unbelievable! He had joined so he could attend University for doctor's training and was now the ship's doctor. Small world!

Best wishes,

Susannah

#10 ·
Dear Rab T,

That was quick. Many thanks for the link. I will check it out later today.

Weren't they just - great days! I have never wanted to return to Singapore as I would never recognise any of it and would hate to lose my 'view' of it as it was way back then.

Were you on Reliant as well?

Susannah

#12 ·
Zannah. I never sailed in Reliant but was in Tidespring,Tidereach,Tarbatness,Sir Galahad,Bacchus and others. Spent a lot of time in Spore and around Terror pool. Just waiting fr Mrs to arrive from her ork then a swift G and T before evening meal. Old habits etc tc.

#16 ·
Dear Rab T

I am on vacation in 2 weeks, but not going anywhere so I will do what I have been meaning to do for ages - sort out old photos. I was flooded a couple of years ago and have been dreading finding out that my storage bins were not waterproof! My kids have been begging me to do the same so two birds etc. I'll let you know when any pix are posted.

Meanwhile happy Christmas season,

Susannah

#19 ·
@Rab.

All this nostalgia Rab - as soon as you mentioned Terror I immediately thought of Mr. Tan who was bar manager and purchasing ten dollar books of tickets for the drinks followed by a fast black from Sembawang up to Orchard Road to continue into the night!

Halcyon days.

LouisB

#21 ·
The inscrutible Mr Tan who stuck up for the RFA in the late 1960's when there was mention of RFA being banned from the "O" club. Trouble had been caused by a person or persons unknown but thought to be RFA. Mr Tan identified the culprit(s) as being from a certain RFA but working for another organisation within that ship.
By the way, LB, I still have my Terror Club Pass from Tidespring in 65' there is photo of it on the SN gallery.
Merry Christmas to you and Pat and any others reading this epistle.
Rab T

#23 ·
#24 ·
Great memories of Singapore in the 60s. Was there another route into the city from Sembewang? I seem to remember the "Bukit Timor or Tima"road, maybe that was from Johore Baru. I also remember injuries from the skittle alley at HMS Terror. Spelks up the finger nails from the scuffed court, self inflicted of course from too much of the old Tiger! Festive wishes to all.

#25 ·
dab - if you were coming from JB or the Causeway area you went down Woodlands Road and that became Bukit Timah Road over the high ground. Starting from Sembawang (mostly were) then it was the Sembawang Road and that became Thompson Road at the junction with Mandai Road (near the Seletar Reservoir). I wonder if I could have got a job driving one of those Merc green taxis ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.