Need help understanding ship to shore communications - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
23:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Need help understanding ship to shore communications

User Tag List

Old 11th June 2017, 20:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1950 - 1961

Georgic, Sea Breezes March 1956 - Possible bit of interest with the ladies for a novel. In 1946 when on a trooping voyage from Bombay problems developed between civilian women passengers and the service women. Leading to the suggestion that civilian women should not be carried on troopers! Then when on 10 assisted passage trips to Australia she attracted attention due to problems with certain elements of the crew members, and in Capetown two members of the catering staff were prosecuted. Pretty normal events as I recall from my own experience on the Aussie run on the Bibby Liner Cheshire. Cheers Roger
Old 11th June 2017, 22:00
Active: 1963 - 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
I hope if you did return you chose the Mauretania!
No I had already committed myself to British & Commonwealth plus I didn't want to go back to liners after twelve months on the Empress of Canada, though B&C had the mail boats I preferred the general cargo vessels.
Old 12th June 2017, 12:09

Ladies on Georgic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bentley View Post
Georgic, Sea Breezes March 1956 - Possible bit of interest with the ladies for a novel. In 1946 when on a trooping voyage from Bombay problems developed between civilian women passengers and the service women. Leading to the suggestion that civilian women should not be carried on troopers! Then when on 10 assisted passage trips to Australia she attracted attention due to problems with certain elements of the crew members, and in Capetown two members of the catering staff were prosecuted. Pretty normal events as I recall from my own experience on the Aussie run on the Bibby Liner Cheshire. Cheers Roger
Thanks Roger,
I have read a little bit about problems with the ladies. I have taken some of that into account and, in my novel, there is one "lady" in particular who plays a major role.
David
Old 12th June 2017, 12:23

I know I have said this a couple of times already but, once again, let me say "THANKS" to each and every one of you who have taken the time to contribute information and answer my questions. All of this has been a HUGE help. This novel is truly a 'labor of love' for me. Whether it ever gets published or not is almost secondary to the idea that I was able to actually write a novel. If, however, it does get published, a few complimentary copies will be in order.
I will submit more questions as they arise.
I will be checking in from time to time so if any of you come up with any information that you think might help, please post it.
Thanks and best regards,
David
Old 12th June 2017, 13:45
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by novelist View Post
I know I have said this a couple of times already but, once again, let me say "THANKS" to each and every one of you who have taken the time to contribute information and answer my questions. All of this has been a HUGE help. This novel is truly a 'labor of love' for me. Whether it ever gets published or not is almost secondary to the idea that I was able to actually write a novel. If, however, it does get published, a few complimentary copies will be in order.
I will submit more questions as they arise.
I will be checking in from time to time so if any of you come up with any information that you think might help, please post it.
Thanks and best regards,
David
You could give SN a plug in your book.Good luck with your book
Old 12th June 2017, 14:18

Acknowledgements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
You could give SN a plug in your book.Good luck with your book
I most definitely would mention SN in the acknowledgements.
Old 13th June 2017, 03:25
Active: 1980 - 1991

I would recommend that you let one of us proof read the draft - especially the bits pertaining to radio...
Old 13th June 2017, 11:23

Proofreading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
I would recommend that you let one of us proof read the draft - especially the bits pertaining to radio...
Absolutely! I'd love to have someone proofread the draft. When I get to that point, I'll put out some feelers!
Volunteers???
David
Old 13th June 2017, 16:18

I'll volunteer. I am a published author, have edited my husband's last book for a publisher when my husband was unable to because of Alzheimer's, and I've taught writing classes. The radio parts would be best handled by the experts on board.
Old 13th June 2017, 17:29

Editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary75 View Post
I'll volunteer. I am a published author, have edited my husband's last book for a publisher when my husband was unable to because of Alzheimer's, and I've taught writing classes. The radio parts would be best handled by the experts on board.
I am honored. Thank you so much.
I will send you an e-mail to give you a better idea of where I am on my journey (sometimes it feels more like a nightmare).
Regards,
David
Old 18th June 2017, 06:04

My location
As BobClay has pretty well condemned himself; it could be that a telegram received aboard needs to go missing and thus the R/O who received it would have to be eliminated so he couldn't remember it at an inconvenient time: of course there would still be the problem of the log-book, but I suppose that could accidentally get a cup of coffee spilt over it.
Old 18th June 2017, 08:50
BobClay BobClay is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Alastair Maclean has got a lot to answer for ....
Old 18th June 2017, 09:13

Slightly off subject but just how serious and responsible radio telegraphic traffic was taken by the powers that be all the way down to operational staff.
Well I remember circa '64 a senior RO at Cullercoats Radio/GCC who was on the point of dismissal for losing a SLT (Ships Letter Telegram) he was responsible for.
Lucky man it was found.
nb..SLT's were a cheap way of sending a telegram from ship to a UK coast station which was then passed to the local Post Office for forwarding as a normal letter.
SLT 1956 cost 6/8d (34p) for 20 words..
Old 18th June 2017, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naytikos View Post
As BobClay has pretty well condemned himself; it could be that a telegram received aboard needs to go missing and thus the R/O who received it would have to be eliminated so he couldn't remember it at an inconvenient time: of course there would still be the problem of the log-book, but I suppose that could accidentally get a cup of coffee spilt over it.
Great idea! I've filed this for use in mystery novel #2 . Thx.
Old 18th June 2017, 11:27

Quote:
Slightly off subject but just how serious and responsible radio telegraphic traffic was taken by the powers that be all the way down to operational staff.
Well I remember circa '64 a senior RO at Cullercoats Radio/GCC who was on the point of dismissal for losing a SLT (Ships Letter Telegram) he was responsible for.
Lucky man it was found.
nb..SLT's were a cheap way of sending a telegram from ship to a UK coast station which was then passed to the local Post Office for forwarding as a normal letter.
SLT 1956 cost 6/8d (34p) for 20 words..
Thanks for the info on SLT's. I'm glad to know they existed because I have the perfect use for one. I'm assuming passengers could take advantage of SLT's? And if so, what would be the procedure. i.e. who would they contact to have an SLT sent?
Old 18th June 2017, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
Alastair Maclean has got a lot to answer for ....
You must have a favorite of his??????
Old 18th June 2017, 11:51
BobClay BobClay is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
There was one, I think it was called South by Java Head in which the Sparky got took out by a bunch of cannon shells from a Japanese fighter while he was getting off the vital message on the morse key.

I thought to myself ... Come on Mr Maclean ! ... why don't you zap a few engineers instead, or even deckies ..... there's always a few spares for them. Poor old Sparks is often a one man show.
Old 18th June 2017, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by novelist View Post
Thanks for the info on SLT's. I'm glad to know they existed because I have the perfect use for one..
SLT's were low precedence traffic available to all and often used by some shipping companies to lessen their radio telegram cost.
Sent as a radio-telegram from ship to any British coast station where it was transcribed/enveloped then per hand to the nearest GPO for normal UK posting.
Envelope example below interesting on the shortness of postal address and post mark Bridgewater Somerset indicating (I think) it was received at Highbridge Somerset the GPO's main HF receiving station aka Portishead Radio though I cannot work out why Bridgewater GPO..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slt.jpg (18.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 18th June 2017, 18:40
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
Poor old Sparks is often a one man show.
Not during WW2 Bob. I have been told (by R/Os who were there) that three per ship was the minimum - a 24H watch was essential.

But I support your plea that Sparks be preserved and that the deckies and oilies are taken instead. And make sure that the cook survives!

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 21st June 2017, 17:21
Active: 1962 - 1979

Quote:
SLT's were low precedence traffic available to all and often used by some shipping companies to lessen their radio telegram cost.
Sent as a radio-telegram from ship to any British coast station where it was transcribed/enveloped then per hand to the nearest GPO for normal UK posting.
Envelope example below interesting on the shortness of postal address and post mark Bridgewater Somerset indicating (I think) it was received at Highbridge Somerset the GPO's main HF receiving station aka Portishead Radio though I cannot work out why Bridgewater GPO..
Cannot find my regs. Book but I'm SLTs were not permitted on ship's business.
Old 21st June 2017, 17:22

Quote:
Cannot find my regs. Book but I'm sure SLTs were not permitted on ship's business.
Old 21st June 2017, 18:11

Not in my time with Niarchos and can't see anything to the contrary here..

https://archive.org/details/HandbookForRadioOperators
Old 21st June 2017, 18:18

Quote:
Not in my time with Niarchos and can't see anything to the contrary here..

https://archive.org/details/HandbookForRadioOperators
Yes, had a quick look at the regs. Memory playing up. On my first trip the senior r/o attempted to send an SLT via Portpatrick to Clan line and this was rejected. Possibly the reason was he was using the telegraphic address rather than a postal address. (55 years ago...)
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:17

Not a question for R/O's but maybe someone can help or know someone who can.
It relates to bedroom stewards.
When they are entering a passenger’s cabin, would they use a master key? … or is there a set of duplicate keys located in the area that they would use?
I have need for a passenger to “break in” to someone’s cabin so need to know how they could accomplish that dirty deed.
Any help appreciated.
BTW... you guys have given me enough ideas for at least 3 novels... but I need to get my first one done!!!!!
Old Yesterday, 19:59

I can't answer your question, but my guess would be that they had a master key.
I've just finished reading "Voyage East: A Cargo ship in the 1960's" by Richard Woodman and recommend it for the sense of place it creates. No keys in it, but to read it is to be onboard the "Antigone."
He is one of the authors recommended on this site.