Ships Nostalgia banner

Brocklebank Round up?Alumni?

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Tony Selman 
#1 ·
Fit and Active.Lived in Canada now for 47years.
Hobbies. Grandchildren,SN,Flying[fly most weekends]Oil Painting and dodging the Missus.
Today is get snow tires on,Chicken Curry and watch the Brits Heartbeat and Midsummer.Maybe an ice cold Vodka Grey Goose of course.
Cheers
Skymaster

#2 ·
I am relatively fit and relatively active but I suppose everything is relative. One man's fitness is another man's ...... Retired and living in Kent not far from the coast and regularly take walks overlooking the Channel. Volunteer at Battle of Britain Museum and am a guide at South Foreland lighthouse.
Hobbies: as above, rugby union, steam trains, MN nostalgia not just SN, old films mainly 50's and 60's.
Oddly enough chicken curry tonight (homemade) and Bhandari taught with beer and rugby on tv.

#5 ·
gwzm: Retired 15 years ago at 56 and living in the village of Houston, about 12 miles west of Glasgow. Manage to stay fit & healthy - run 5-7 miles once or twice a week. Active in the local Rotary Club, been President and Secretary. Into amateur radio but not as active as I'd like to be as my wife's health isn't great so I'm Chief Cook, Cabin Steward and Domestic Engineer these days.
I also manage to keep in touch with a couple of ex-Brocklebank R/Os (like myself) Frank Dunn and George Stoddart, who live fairly close.
gwzm

#6 ·
Living in Sugar Land TX since 1999.
Retired from the drilling industry in 2008.
I now do contracting work as a consulting tow master on drilling rigs about one or two jobs a year.
Still very active and fast walk about 3 miles a day.
Presently on holiday in New Zealand reprising my days in NZS after leaving Brocks.
Ian

#7 ·
Retired to Spain in 2005, enjoying sun and passing ships. Tolerably fit and part of the Ministry team in St Barnabas at Torre del Mar, (30 mins east of Malaga). Local Indian restaurant 10 minutes away and well up to scratch. We live in the campo 20 minutes from coast with a view to the Alboran Sea from 350 meters.

Michael Meredith(Masirah)

#9 ·
Still Graft - ing (Grandads Richmond and Frosterley Taxi Service) Still working one day a week by request, theirs not mine. Results of recent prostate surgery very good so may soon be able to roam further from the netty and see more of the local River Swale.

#10 ·
Still Fit.

Just retired from United Kingdom Hydrographic Office. So three months in and enjoying life with walk/runs and in training for some upcoming trail runs. The garden has had, at last, some attention. Stamp collection now needs work, a lot.
DerekT
(Ex Brocks/Bibbys/Denholms/Shell)

#11 ·
One of the ancient Brocks blokes, I suppose. Went to sea in 43 on Maihar I interesting post from C/e Pottinger re engines in Brocks - put Brocks in Search !!
Names I remember - Pemberton, Gunson, Margesson ( latter two were on HMS Conway with me in the 40's.
Stayed with Brocks until 1947 the mad e a stupid move into tankers. Got TB at 28 so gave up and had a chequered career afterwards running small companies and starting first large DIY business in the UK ( copied by B&Q, Do it All etc)
Flew in air taxi at one stage and cir***navigated under sail in 250 ton ketch owned by rich Italian.
Practising Christian ( I hope) . Need more of us to outweigh these burgeoning Muslims in our fair country !!

#15 ·
Currently living between Sydney, Australia and Cape Coral, Florida. Certainly not as fit as I wish I were but fly, scuba, boat whenever possible. Am on a nostalgia kick tonight - have Ravi Shankar playing in the background and scouring pic's of Brock ships vintage 60's-70's. Geez - it's hardwired into the system and I could go back to the Hooghly right now.... All the best to you everyone of you.

Alan Marsden

#17 ·
Still hanging about! No particular pastimes now, just moving between two abodes in Scotland(Renfrewshire close to Glasgow Airport and the Western Isles)a few weeks here and a few weeks there but prefer the latter overlooking the Atlantic (NY is just over the horizon!) and tracking passing traffic on the marine AIS which can be very interesting sometimes, especially when vessels are close to shore. Have good chats with local seafarers retired and still serving,young and old, which lead to sound arguments.

RNLI governor and supporter. Enjoy travelling up and down Scotland as and when weather is favourable! So life goes on. Salaams.

#18 ·
Good to hear from Roger and Don, both very well known to me. It is burned into my memory bank that Don was the very first person I ever met in the Merchant Navy when I clambered up the gangway to join Matra in March 1964 and he was at the top and helped me carry my gear to my cabin. Sailed with him on several subsequent occasions. Had a good and alcoholic reunion with him last year at his southern residence (Glasgow). Have an invitation to his Western Isles residence but not made that yet. On the to do list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.