Ships Nostalgia banner

Hugh MacLeod

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Jim S 
#1 ·
I have just heard from his daughter that Hugh MacLeod died on 6th April 2016 at the age of 81.
A Shell Tanker Apprentice, Hugh joined Brocklebank around 1966 from Elder Dempster/Paddy Henderson. He had a Chief's Motor Ticket and joined Brocks for Steam time. He sailed on Maidan as Snr. 3rd Engineer
under Jake Donnelly - I would put this as from around August 1966 as I had sailed under Jake Donnelly up to July 1966 on Magdapur.
Hugh also sailed on Maturata and Malakand but these may have been coastal trips. Subsequently, despite his need for Steam time, he was sent to New York to join Sulzer engined Mahout where C/E Dave Meek was in desperate need for a qualified Motor ship man to sail as 2/E.
Some time later Hugh had joined Salvage Association and based in Germany - A coincidence was that Jake Donnelly was also with the Salvage Association and when Jake became ill, believed to be due to a blood disorder brought on by exposure to rat urine, Hugh was transferred to Glasgow to cover for Jake's absence.
At the only time I met Hugh, that was around May 2008, then retired, he lived in England and hoping to move back home to Glasgow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.