The dreaded examiner of engineers - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
01:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The dreaded examiner of engineers

User Tag List

Old 4th March 2017, 14:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Morris View Post
After Seconds & Chiefs it was straight into the Three Mile Inn to settle the nerves with a couple of stiff ones.
As I actually lived in Gosforth, I went up the High Street to the Brandling.
Old 4th March 2017, 16:32
Active: 1964 - 1996

I did my 2/E's at the post office building in Newcastle, just beside the central railway station. Chiefs part A at Gosforth and Part B and orals in Leith.
Old 4th March 2017, 16:59
Active: 1971 - Present

I was just looking for the closest watering hole with toilejt facilities.

Tony
Old 5th March 2017, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
In Hull it wasn't the Examiner you feared, the aforementioned excellent Bob Barr, but his Rottweiler of a clerk who could work out your seatime to the nearest 5 minutes.
You are so right, you could guarantee he would find something wrong with you papers. I went to see him one January and I put the previous years date on the form he gave me, and I wasn't allowed to change it but had to complete a new form.
Old 5th March 2017, 14:30
Active: 1957 - 1968

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurtis1 View Post
I did my 2/E's at the post office building in Newcastle, just beside the central railway station. Chiefs part A at Gosforth and Part B and orals in Leith.
Bot seem to have moved their Newcastle offices a lot, when I took my 2nds in 1964 they were in Lombard Street, virtually under the Tyne Bridge approach, a few yards from the Quay.
Always think of my exam when I see the Great North Run on TV news.
Did my Chiefs in Southampton and can't remember a thing about the exam, the examiner or the office. Funny how the memory works (or does not work)!

Last edited by alaric; 5th March 2017 at 14:35..
Old 5th March 2017, 18:11
Active: 1962 - 1970

hi ALARIC funny the mind works, I can tell you every ship ive been on right back to my first trawler up to the Faroes, in 1961. The shaw savill ships. oil supply ships Diving support ships then oil rigs, Over 50 years But one ship I hated from the day I joined it was the akaroa, Shaw Savill.ONLY port I remember being in was Barbados where we were allowed to go to a shore party for the passengers,all I remember was the engine room lift and the single
acting B & W two strokes, I have no recollection of the outward or homeward
voyage, where we went or how we got there, and back. I remember telling Fred Sibly to get me off,Luckily as it was a passenger ship, it was a quick turn a round.
Transferred back to refridge cargo ships Maybe because I hated it so much the mind automatically blanks it out. George
Old 6th March 2017, 09:11
Active: 1957 - 1968

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by george e mitchell View Post
hi ALARIC funny the mind works, I can tell you every ship ive been on right back to my first trawler up to the Faroes, in 1961. The shaw savill ships. oil supply ships Diving support ships then oil rigs, Over 50 years But one ship I hated from the day I joined it was the akaroa, Shaw Savill.ONLY port I remember being in was Barbados where we were allowed to go to a shore party for the passengers,all I remember was the engine room lift and the single
acting B & W two strokes, I have no recollection of the outward or homeward
voyage, where we went or how we got there, and back. I remember telling Fred Sibly to get me off,Luckily as it was a passenger ship, it was a quick turn a round.
Transferred back to refridge cargo ships Maybe because I hated it so much the mind automatically blanks it out. George
I didn't hate Southampton George, what memories I have are pleasant ones. I did both steam and motor exams there, no problems, no resits, just can't remember any details. Like you, I can remember other aspects from my sea-going days very clearly, or at least I think I can!
Old 6th March 2017, 19:44
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1971 - Present

When I did Chief's orals in Southampton I got the Senior examiner, and also a "trainee" examiner, so they both had a go at me!
Getting the "pass" stamp was the best feeling in the world ( one of the top two anyway).
Old 6th March 2017, 20:32
Active: 1970 - Present

Had an ISM/ISPS Audit in Antwerp with 2 LR Auditors and a trainee. The Auditors were heavy going and on top of this the trainee was determined to impress his betters.
I was not terribly impressed and swore never to get involved with trainees again but I suppose there are tossers in every organisation. Deep down it is ingrained in us all to be trainers and teachers, its what keeps ships sailing.
Old 7th March 2017, 08:24
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oatey View Post
When I did Chief's orals in Southampton I got the Senior examiner, and also a "trainee" examiner, so they both had a go at me!
Getting the "pass" stamp was the best feeling in the world ( one of the top two anyway).
Same happened to me for my Steam Endorsement - two examiners, both introduced to me but I was told at the outset that one was observing only - to this day I am unsure which was the sorcerer and which the apprentice - no discernible difference in age. All I cam remember is being asked to sketch and describe (As the late JR Williams told us as cadets "The Examiner will have plenty of paper and pencils") the inner workings of a 3 term boiler water level controller.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 7th March 2017, 10:08
Active: 1971 - 1986

The main thing this topic has highlighted for me is that I can't remember a thing about my orals (both seconds and chiefs motor)! I also got my class 4 steam endorsement for watch keeping, which I think was also an oral exam, but I'm blowed if I can drag anything up from my memory!
Old 9th March 2017, 16:43
Active: 1968 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oatey View Post
I had some good luck doing seconds steam in Southhampton (late 74). Due to the number of motor lads we steamers had orals with the Fawley surveyor. The regular examiner (Chapman?) apparently was a bit of a martinet with strange views on how things should be done. For example we were all instructed, by the college, on how to blow down boiler gauge glass's and clear obstructions to comply with his views. So I was glad to avoid him, I doubt I would have remembered all the colleges advice.
During the orals I noticed all my exam papers in front of him had red crayon across my answers so was surprised I had passed. I asked him what the crayon meant when we finished and was told that meant an ok answer talk about something else.
Old 9th March 2017, 23:39
Active: 1973 - 1991

Took my 2nd's orals in Southampton, early 1980's. I don't remember any of the exam content, all I remember is being told I'd passed, walking out of the room and the door handle came off in my hand. There followed a few minutes of embarrassment as I fumbled about replacing the handle on the door and then raced for the exit!!
Old 20th March 2017, 22:07

Up for Steam Chiefs at Newcastle we ended up discussing Turbines, not Steam but Gas in all its forms which at that time was thought to be the power plant of the future not only for Ships but for just about everything that required propulsion. Interesting how things have turned out.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 20th March 2017, 22:10
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Glad you made it back into circulation Chas..

geoff
Old 20th March 2017, 22:27

Thank You Geoff, although I still seem to be having intermittent problems this afternoon which is my first time back on site, it could be my "banana fingers".

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel